Freewheeling.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
Just tell him you have to stop peddling now and again (even up hill) to give him chance to catch up. :thumbsup:
I sooo wish that were true!

None of his bikes are fixed wheel but he makes it all look so easy. Picture me red faced, sweaty and about to die. He glides past with feet up, reading the paper smoking a cigar.... ok not quite, but you do get the picture :biggrin:
Anyhoo, I shall do it my way :dance:
fitness will come with time in the saddle. 5 years ago I could not keep up with my OH at all, now I find it is me who has to wait for him at the end of a longer ride - helps he is built more for speed & climbing and I am better over long distances, so I rig our rides to ... probably shouldn't let on, he might read this and work it out...:whistle:

400bhp

Guru
None of his bikes are fixed wheel but he makes it all look so easy. Picture me red faced, sweaty and about to die. He glides past with feet up, reading the paper smoking a cigar.... ok not quite, but you do get the picture :biggrin:
Anyhoo, I shall do it my way :dance:

Are you my wife? :secret:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
What's the point of struggling up a dirty great hill if you can't freewheel down the other side, legs outstretched and yelling "YIPPEEEEE"!
Exactly :becool:. The way I see it, downhills were invented as a convenient way of getting to the next enjoyable uphill climb! :biggrin:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I've heard it said that you shouldn't freewheel too long on downhills so you keep your leg muscles warmed up. That was the advice in the States when I was growing up, in the Seventies. I was told you should always freewheel in the corners, to avoid pedal strike, inner pedal up.
But you do want to try and establish a cadence so you can build speed and endurance.

Canrider

Guru
I've heard it said that you shouldn't freewheel too long on downhills so you keep your leg muscles warmed up. That was the advice in the States when I was growing up, in the Seventies. I was told you should always freewheel in the corners, to avoid pedal strike, inner pedal up.
But you do want to try and establish a cadence so you can build speed and endurance.
It's not a huge risk, but if you can freewheel through corners then yes, you should keep your inside pedal up. As to keeping your muscles warm, that sounds like cycle racing pseudoscience--certainly there's nothing in Fred Matheney's books from that era in that respect.

screenman

Legendary Member
Just tell him Dr Hutch does it and it does not seem to slow him up too much.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I personally like to keep the legs going so lactic acid doesn't build up, but Canrider is right, Fred Matheny doesn't talk much about that. Fred Matheny talks about racing quite well, and the technical aspects involved.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Pedal height to avoid strike is important on a Brompton.

And not just on corners - I fell off when a pedal struck a road hump.

Top Bottom