Freezing feet - solutions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OvertheHill

Über Member
On any ride at the moment over about an hour my feet get absolutely freezing. To the point that I can't feel my toes. I did a ride this morning with a pair of cycle socks on, with a pair of ski socks over them. I wear Shimano SPD shoes. Have tried my waterproof overshoes over the top too - doesn't help much.

Is there anything I can do? Better socks? Or am I just consigned to lumps of ice?

Stephen-D

OvertheHill said:
On any ride at the moment over about an hour my feet get absolutely freezing. To the point that I can't feel my toes. I did a ride this morning with a pair of cycle socks on, with a pair of ski socks over them. I wear Shimano SPD shoes. Have tried my waterproof overshoes over the top too - doesn't help much.

Is there anything I can do? Better socks? Or am I just consigned to lumps of ice?

LOL the exact same happens to me Over, i use shimano shoes as well, they have a hole in the bottom to let the "air in" i wear two pairs of socks and i put overshoes on but my toes still feel numb at the end of the ride. i have decided its just the way life is.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Couple of things....
You can tape over the holes and the air-vent fabric for the winter.
Fit socks, then sandwhich bag then shoes as an extra windprood layer.

But most of all... Neoprene overshoes like the Endura ones are a revalation warmth-wise.

Broadside

Guru
I suffered from freezing feet until I got a pair of BBB neoprene overshoes and have never looked back since. I was out at 7am this morning for a 3 hour ride in -1c and my feet were the only part that never got cold for the entire ride. If you are getting very cold feet then it will be £15 very well spent.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm a sufferer of cold feet - so I've bought boots, and some thin liner socks to wear as a second pair, and also fitted a thermal insole in my shoes. I think that lot has helped. Try an insole perhaps of those options.

OP
OP
O

OvertheHill

Über Member
I actually use the neoprene overshoes that were mentioned a few threads up. They help but I've always had fairly poor circulation to my feet so they only go so far. The liner socks sound good - but what's a thermal insole?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
OvertheHill said:
I actually use the neoprene overshoes that were mentioned a few threads up. They help but I've always had fairly poor circulation to my feet so they only go so far. The liner socks sound good - but what's a thermal insole?

Dunno, but I'm sure somebody called me an insole this morning...

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Plastic bag over the feet can help. I don't have the problem but Mrs 26x25 does and that seems to work for her.

Also if you have any unsealed parts (other than your face) you are more likely to get cold. And feet and fingers are the first to complain. Make sure everything is well covered.

Noodley

My tried and tested warm feet remedy:

Merino Possum socks (Endura Thermolite socks are quite good as well)
Shoes
One pair of overshoes
A second pair of overshoes (obviously buy a size bigger than the first pair)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
If you really want to keep your feet warm, you need to use some shoes that are designed for it. I've used Diadora chillis extreme and Northwave Celcius MTB boots for the last couple of years. They are both waterproof, windproof and comfy.

Nearly all cycling shoes are not designed to keep your feet warm, so wearing wool socks, overshoes etc will help a bit but it won't prevent cold feet.

If you want to keep your feet warm, then you'll need to consider buying something designed to do that, cycling shoes are just not good enough.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OvertheHill said:
The liner socks sound good - but what's a thermal insole?

I bought it in Black's - but they also had them in Millets I think ... it was basically which shop had them in my size when I went looking for them. Its not a complete solution ... just one thing that helps.

jimboalee

I cut the Thinsulate lining out of a beanie hat ( £1.99 Wilkinsons ) and make two pouches from it.

When it is really cold, I put the pouches of Thinsulate round my toes before putting socks on.

Don't have a cold feet problem.

Top Bottom