Freezing feet - solutions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
Hotronics electronic foot heaters - absolute life savers. One ride after Christmas, it was -9C when I got home after a couple of hours and my feet were still fine. The heaters have a small element (in an insole) which is located just under the toes so it doesn't try to heat the whole foot. The batteries are rechargeable and last for several hours, depending on the output. I've damaged my toes with frostbite, mountaineering over the years, and keeping circulation in my toes is a priority to prevent further cold injury (which cold lead to amputations) so it's not just a case of being comfortable. The initial outlay for the heaters is quite high (ca. £100 or about the same as a pair of winter cycling boots) but they (or more particularly the batteries) last for years (10 and counting) so they work out pretty good value for comfortable winter cycling.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You need space for the blood to circulate in your feet. If you've got tight shoes your feet will get cold, and cramming extra socks inside your normal shoes is a good way of making them tight.
So, either get a separate pair of winter shoes or boots at least a size bigger than you normally wear to leave room for thicker socks, or stick to adding external insulation in the form of overshoes, and avoid fastening your shoes too tightly.
A loose fit = warm applies to gloves too.

The other thing is to make sure your body doesn't start cutting off the flow of blood to your extremities in order to keep the core warm. Make sure you've a warm, windproofed body, and put a warm hat on.

{added}
If your feet do start to get unpleasantly cold, it's worth getting off the bike and walking for a bit to get the blood flowing again (clipless pedal system permitting).
Flexing the foot is another good way of ensuring that the blood keeps circulating well. One time I skied about 10 miles back to base in a temp. of about -35 with another chap. I was using XC skis with lightweight boots, thin socks and standard loopstich hiking socks, he was using mountaineering skis & bindings with double plastic boots. He got a frostbitten toe (nicely black), my feet never got very cold at all.

Danny

Legendary Member
Agree about keeping the rest of your body warm - I certainly find it helps, if only psychologically.

You could also start carrying a flask of hot tea or coffee to drink to keep you warm.

I've been wearing Lewiskit socks for the last two winters and have found them really cosy - but don't suppose they are much better than any of the other socks mentioned.

ASC1951

Guru
OvertheHill said:
I did a ride this morning with a pair of cycle socks on, with a pair of ski socks over them.

Is there anything I can do? Better socks?
Make sure there is still plenty of room to wiggle your toes. If these are your normal shoes, two pairs of socks may ram them solid - then nothing is going to keep them warm.

If you have poor circulation you may need bigger shoes for the winter.

MajorMantra

I'm surprised the OP didn't find overshoes to help - without them my feet would fall off. I'm a bit prone to cold feet too but thermal cycling socks plus overshoes work for me, or at least they have done this winter.

Matthew

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My cycling shoes are one size larger than my street shoes. The shoes have laces and I make sure these are loose except at the top where they are tied to help reduce any pressure which might reduce blood flow. I wear a pair of very thin summer socks underneath very good Merino wool socks and Endura overshoes. Problem solved.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
For my first ride in Jan, I had :
a pair of 'trainer socks' (only come up to your ankle)
+ a pair of Homer Simpson regular socks
+ a pair of walking socks
+ a pair of football socks
+ neoprene overshoes

My feet didn't get cold :biggrin:

Agree about keeping rest of body warm too, and I also use the "wriggle your toes about every so often" method to let them know you're thinking of their wellbeing. :biggrin:

Barbelier

Bought a pair of Altura overshoes recently and now my feet are as warm as toast with only 1 pair of socks.:biggrin:

Recommend you go for a larger size thought as getting them on can be a bit of a struggle.

Top Bottom