Freezing food that says "not suitable for freezing".

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think I know the answer but........
I buy Aldi chicken curries and freeze them (as per instructions).
A few weeks ago I noticed a new/different type so bought one and froze it.
Yesterday, when checking, I read (tiny print)....."not suitable for freezing".
Can I assume that is more like advice than H&S ?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
In this case, it might be that it has been frozen before, therefore unsuitable for refreezing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Be reet !! Those things called noses and taste buds usually alert us.
Unless you’ve got Covid :whistle:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Similarly the “thaw before cooking “instructions often get ignored in our house.
We just add an extra 15 minutes to the cooking time and none of us have died yet.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Similarly the “thaw before cooking “instructions often get ignored in our house.
We just add an extra 15 minutes to the cooking time and none of us have died yet.
Problems I had were............
It wasn't supposed to be frozen or therefore defrosted.
It was micro wave heating.
But..........I made sure it was thoroughly defrosted AND I nuked it for longer than suggested.

presta

Guru
I think that advice is no longer a requirement as food can be safely be refrozen. The issue is keeping track of its deterioration in its unfrozen state.
Generally I think the ‘do not freeze’ guideline is about the quality if frozen/thawed, not the safety.
Fairly recently, Tesco liver used to say not suitable for freezing because it has already been frozen previously. Now it says:
1639403997084.png

So that's as clear as mud, then.
Tesco British Pork Sliced Liver - Tesco Groceries

Fairly recently, Tesco liver used to say not suitable for freezing because it has already been frozen previously. Now it says:
View attachment 621825
So that's as clear as mud, then.
Tesco British Pork Sliced Liver - Tesco Groceries
The reason it is ok to refreeze the liver is because it wasn't previously fully thawed. The initial defrosting has been carried out under factory temperature controlled conditions that are just sufficient to allow the required handling which may be portioning or slicing. It is then rapidly blast refrozen.

Top Bottom