Freezing your helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I see Thibault Pinot has taken a pretty novel approach to keeping cool on the bike!

CKG9lXeVEAEkrcZ.jpg

Personally I'd be worried that frozen polystyrene would shatter on impact and cause some pretty serious damage. I might give it a go on my ride home tonight and report my findings.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I suspect he's storing a couple of herring under there

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think he had just ridden through yesterday's hail storm and I don't think polystyrene would get cold in ice as it's such a good insulator and has no thermal "capacity".

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That class of crash helmets are basically useless plus or minus error bars for the speeds they crash, so good luck to him trying to make it a cooling aid instead of the usual brain-cooker!

You can tell some of the pro's don't think crash helmets don't do much good: loose straps, rakish angles, modifying it for extra ventilation as much as they can without it showing and so on. Didn't Contador get pictured hanging his on the handlebars again during some race earlier this year?

More realistic

Take your Buff, soak and wring until damp

Put into a small sandwich bag and freeze

Remove and place on sweaty hot head........ wonderful cooling effect

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have a novel idea which would increase the air flow over the head, but it is reserved for another board.

iIRC the problem was always the stress caused by repeated freezing and thawing that was an issue rather than the freezing itself

[QUOTE 3803665, member: 9609"]could it be cheating ? ice reduces blood flow, that is why we pack it around injured parts including head injuries - the reduced flow to the brain will leave more oxygenated blood for more important bodily parts like the quads...[/QUOTE]

Or does the use of a frozen helmet (and decrease of the blood supply to the brain) make accidents more likely by slowing reaction and thought processes?

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Or does the use of a frozen helmet (and decrease of the blood supply to the brain) make accidents more likely by slowing reaction and thought processes?
To be fair, if I went out for a bike ride in France in the middle of July and cycled into a hailstorm (in summer cycling kit), my thought processes would be stuck on a continuous loop of "ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, this is getting boring now, OW!"

Top Bottom