French fuse box urgent help needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Calling @gavroche or anyone with experience of living in France

I am staying in a flat in France that belongs to a young colleague who is away on holiday.

I came back from an evening out to find no power in the flat. I found the fusebox and flipped the switch the other way. Still no electricity.

I have had a look and there seem to be fuses in all the individual boxes except the boiler. Is it a case of isolating all the switches one by one, finding the offending fuse and replacing that one when I can get one in the morning.

I am reluctant to bother my colleague since she is enjoying a well-deserved break and probably is not very clued up on that sort of thing....

Thanks for any suggestions.

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Legendary Member
Fastest fix on record. I decided to flip the switch again so it showed red not green. Everything seems to be working!

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Legendary Member
That was what I was going to say.

I never envisaged the French would have a system where red is on and green is off. Or maybe I should have done. How lucky we are to have circuit breakers. It is so much easier to see what is wrong. The trouble with things like that is that after a while I can't remember what I have tried and what I haven't.

I am now enjoying the wonders of electric light and a celebratory beer.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How lucky we are to have circuit breakers. It is so much easier to see what is wrong.
Not in the house that my sister is now renting! I got a call from her saying that her power had gone off after a problem with her iron. I told her to unplug the iron and then reset the circuit breaker. She did that but still nothing worked.

That was about all I could do over the phone so she was going to get an electrician in to look at it but her ex-husband called round to pick up my nephew and discovered that there was a hidden circuit breaker feeding power to the other circuit breakers! He reset that one too and the power came back on ...

perplexed

Guru
We go to France quite a lot, and no break in a village cottage would be complete without a power cut. The owners probably think I'm a bit weird as one of the first things I ask is 'where's the fuse box', and I'm never without a torch.

subaqua

What’s the point
I never envisaged the French would have a system where red is on and green is off. Or maybe I should have done. How lucky we are to have circuit breakers. It is so much easier to see what is wrong. The trouble with things like that is that after a while I can't remember what I have tried and what I haven't.

I am now enjoying the wonders of electric light and a celebratory beer.

its the same in UK

red is ON - red for Danger

OP
OP
alicat

alicat

Legendary Member
Oh, that makes sense. Just glad I got the power back on before I got terminally depressed, the food in the freezer started to defrost and the batteries on mobiles and laptop ran out.

We go to France quite a lot, and no break in a village cottage would be complete without a power cut. The owners probably think I'm a bit weird as one of the first things I ask is 'where's the fuse box', and I'm never without a torch.

Actually we seem to have a lot of power cuts in Staffs too. One memorable one was during the final sprint of a crucial stage of the TdF a couple of years ago. :sad:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Glad you are sorted. I can put my French brain back in hibernation until needed again. :okay::hello:

Top Bottom