fresh glass?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheddar George

oober member
Some good memories of living at home with mum & dad during my late teens, still puking up with a massive hangover at breakfast time.

" it must have been a dirty glass/bad pint as i only had a couple last night"

I wonder if they ever suspected the truth.

byegad

Legendary Member
If the pub does not always use fresh glasses it transfers your germs to the nozzle of the dispenser and then on to every one elses pint AND VICE VERSA. So you will risk getting some infections.

ChrisKH

Guru
If you have ever worked in a club or bar, you will realise that your fresh glass is probably less than fresh. How are they washing them and drying them? Not everyone has mechanical dishwasher facilities (although in this day and age I don't see why not) and under pressure, glasses will be washed quickly and dried quickly by hand by the little toe-rag who has just been picking his nose. :thumbsup: I remember working in a club back in the 70's when the glasses were done by hand and there were only so many glasses. So on packed nights they had to be recycled quickly, all washed by hand in turgid re-used water, then dried by hand. They often went back with finger prints and lipstick still on them.xx(xx(:tired:

hubgearfreak

Über Member
byegad said:
If the pub does not always use fresh glasses it transfers your germs to the nozzle of the dispenser and then on to every one elses pint AND VICE VERSA. So you will risk getting some infections.

so, if just one customer has a re-used glass, the nozzle will be infected, negating the whole point of you having a fresh one.

if the pub even asks, go elsewhere - -- - if this sort of thing bothers you.

on the other hand, bacteria from other people in relatively small numbers from sources like the above scenario will just help your immune system to keep its teeth sharp, for when you're under proper attack from uncooked mussels, or an unrefrigerated chicken volavent at a wedding party

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
simonali said:
:thumbsdown: if they are prone to touching the rim, then they're likely to do it to your fresh glass, ...
If someone tries touching my rim in the pub, they'll get what's coming to them, and no mistake! :tongue:

walker

I think I got the solution, and its taken me a good few hours to work it out, and took many experiments that had to be double checked by Loughborough University and then passed onto Harvard for extra clarification. Then the science baffled me so I had to consult Oxford Uni to translate, and it basically said 'drink out of a bottle stupid'

simonali

Guru
I suppose the only answer is to buy a box of pint glasses and a box of sterile gloves (not latex, as people can be allergic to them), take both to the pub, give the bar person a fresh glass and a pair of gloves when you need a refill and put your used glass in the bin when you've emptied it?

You can also pop a pair of the gloves on when you go for a slash and you won't have to wash your hands afterwards in case you catch anything from the towel!

An Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman are in the loo at he pub. The Englishman has a pee, zips up and washes his hands carefully. He announces to the other two: "in England, we're brought up to do things thoroughly". The Scotsman shakes the drips off, washes and dries his hands and announces: "in Scotland, we're brought up to do things thoroughly and completely". teh Irishman finishes his wee, zips up and walks out, saying: "in Ireland, we're brought up not to piss on our hands". :smile:
OK, I can't remember all the details, but that's the gist of it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Abitrary said:
I'm not really that fussy myself, but if you think about it, here are the steps:

-you get a glass of lager, handled by a bar person who hasn't washed their hands after the toilet
-you go to the toilet and do the same
-that same bar person is doing the same all over again with all the other glasses

Not saying that I've ever been made ill by it, but I'm sure it contributes to hangovers, and I'd just much rather have a fresh glass and not have to confirm something so obvious.

We're becoming so antisceptic, the most ridiculous germs are going to strike us down.I used to eat my sandwitches with possibly cowshit covered hands...not by choice, but simply lack of washing facilities in the countryside...never did me any harm :wacko:

What about ANYTHING you get passed by another person...money, dinner in a resturaunt...anything. A glass in a pub isnt going to make any difference.

We're all falling for the advertising hype from disinfectant manufacturers....we're all going to get blubonic plague from everything.....crap.

Chill out brother...the human race would be long gone if we were all so susceptible ( :smile: ) to germs.

NickM

Veteran
If you drink a variety of Belgian beers :smile: you get a fresh glass every time, because each beer has its own unique glass.

Oh, and urine is generally sterile. It's that brown stuff you've got to worry about.

Top Bottom