Friday (as in Thursday) Night Ride to the Continent - 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimP

Having now completed a second night ride in three days back from Newhaven to home I am drinking tea and contemplating not getting up until Wednesday.

My body-clock would like to know what it must have done wrong in a previous life.

StuartG

slower but further
Got back home a shade tight of 5am this morning. Had to cycle all the way as Southern don't do trains to Sydenham that early. Not bad - 5 hours from Newhaven and I slowed considerably after ditching the rest of the crew west of Gatwick as I took the easy way home via the Merstham Gap. By gum those other know how to tank - next time I'm out with those I'm packing a front-firing grappling iron. Never gone as far and as fast in my life.

So thanks to the team. It was a real coming of age for me in every way for me. Tentatively cycling as far as Downe 15 months ago and now feeling confident solo night cycling. And thanks for the Cake Mr & Mrs P ... and the Cidre and Tim please tell everyone about that special cheese you were sold in the Marche - made from the very essence of the lesser spotted Warthog milk. Something my palate will never forget ...

frank9755

Cyclist
I didn't realise that you guys sitting outside in the sun were planning a cunning Brighton extension! Glad that people are drifting back from the continent safely, with tales of heroic exploits to entertain us on future nights.

We left the cafe, got to the station and a direct train to London rolled up immediately. I slept a good bit of the way but woke up after a couple of older women sat with us and we had a useful discussion on how best to prolong the life of paint after the tin has been opened.

TimP

Oh and why when you've just discounted the necessity of a gander through Decathlon for the sake of bargain spotting and trundled down the hill into town does the chain then decide to go ping.

Cue some swearing and roadside fettling, and a trip back up the hill for a spare chain is scheduled.

At least that didn't happen at silly o' clock.

StuartG

slower but further
Oh and why when you've just discounted the necessity of a gander through Decathlon for the sake of bargain spotting and trundled down the hill into town does the chain then decide to go ping.
Due punishment of the link god for failure to wear your panama. Did that case of cidre make it home in good shape?

TimO

Guru
I didn't realise that you guys sitting outside in the sun were planning a cunning Brighton extension! ...

I certainly wasn't planning anything cunning. I thought Des and Aperitif were going back to London after breakfast, but they convinced me to bimble up the coast. Actually since Brighton was closer than I thought, it wasn't a bad idea. If I'd realised my knee was a bit borked I may not have slowed them down, and also jumped on the train.

If you got a direct train you were doing pretty well, there are only two a day, one at 7am, and the other (which I guess you caught) at 8-30(ish).

frank9755

Cyclist
I certainly wasn't planning anything cunning. I thought Des and Aperitif were going back to London after breakfast, but they convinced me to bimble up the coast. Actually since Brighton was closer than I thought, it wasn't a bad idea.

If you got a direct train you were doing pretty well, there are only two a day, one at 7am, and the other (which I guess you caught) at 8-30(ish).

It was an excellent idea - the photos suggest you may have even managed to get another breakfast out of it!

I was very pleased with the direct train! We actually left to catch the 8:40 but allowed a bit of time and the 8:28 direct service just rolled up. A quick 10 mile ride from Victoria and I was showered and in bed by 11am
smile.gif

frank9755

Cyclist
Oh and why when you've just discounted the necessity of a gander through Decathlon for the sake of bargain spotting...

A bad miss! For me one of the highlights of trips to France is looking through the cycling sections in LeClerc hypermarkets, where they have wonderful bits of cable and shiny little clips for a few centimes. Never stumbled upon a Decathlon but it must be even more fun!

I didn't realise that you guys sitting outside in the sun were planning a cunning Brighton extension! Glad that people are drifting back from the continent safely, with tales of heroic exploits to entertain us on future nights.

We left the cafe, got to the station and a direct train to London rolled up immediately. I slept a good bit of the way but woke up after a couple of older women sat with us and we had a useful discussion on how best to prolong the life of paint after the tin has been opened.

Sorry again, Frank...I was still 'minded' to head overboardseas - I was 'drifting' but chose London over Dieppe as someone needed access to my flat on Saturday morning - my shoulders still ache from that rucksack full of junk aka clothes - As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Newhaven + added Brighton would make a neat ride.

There's not a lot I can add to Des and Aperitif's write-ups.

The ride started out a bit damp, but it was quite fast with so few people. It was nice to leave Gatwick Airport with the weather rather a lot drier, and the final variation on the route into Newhaven (as opposed to the Brighton route) was quite excellent, excepting the very last bit on the main road, which was quite busy since it was a Friday morning, and people were on their way to work.

Des, Aperitif and I probably got to see the ferry before the rest did, given the time they had to wait when we left them.

PanoramaFerry_ThumbNail_400.jpg
Full sized panoramic view of the ferry.

What we saw of Newhaven was a bit meh, but the route out had a nice little off-road bit, after quite a little climb out. Unfortunately my right knee started hurting after I left breakfast. I don't know what I did to it, but it was quite painful when I put any force through it, so I had to essentially cycle with just my left leg. Not exactly optimal for NCN2 along the south coast, which has a handful of short climbs along it.

PanoramaPort_ThumbNail_400.jpg
Full sized panoramic view of part of the port.

NCN2 is a little odd around there. There's a nice, if little rugged bit shortly after leaving Newhaven, but then it essentially directs you though a housing estate, to avoid the busy south coast road. Since it eventually dumps you onto that anyway, the effort involved in sending you down this rather soulless bit seems a bit pointless.

With my duff knee, we were a bit slower than would have been ideal, especially with the moderate levels of traffic, so ended up cycling along the cyclepath bit on the pavement at the side of the road. Eventually, from the Marina onwards, you do end up on a small quieter route, which brings you in along the front, and past the Madera Cafe.

We stopped off, as the others have said, for a coffee, chinwag, and spot of Brighton people watching, before departing for the station and a fast trip back to East Croydon for me. For once no one got on at Gatwick with a heap of luggage to block the doorway!

P1020495_ThumbNail_400.jpg .
Des and Aperitif partaking of mid-morning coffee in Brighton.

My smattering of photos are here.

The thumbnails were hyperlinked to the original images, but the new board software seems to make that so difficult to do now, that I've lost the will to live trying to get it to work.

The route from HPC to Newhaven is on GPSies, and our final bit from there to Brighton station is also on there.

I like your photo panoramas Tim - have you seen the Lomography Spinner? I think you need one :biggrin:

This was an excellent weekend for me. Thanks for organising the FNRttC, Simon, and thanks to riders for the brilliant company.

My thoughts are on my blog : Blogpost

And here are some photos: Photos

StuartG

slower but further
Glad to see you got home safely Els. I was thinking of you as I battled in the opposite direction. I had a pleasant 60 mile up and down two Normandy river valleys in lieu of Paris.

Then fun with the Pikes & The Legg before cantering home overnight Saturday/Sunday. All in all a great time. Thanks for your pix - I enjoyed and laughed. Luckily you didn't catch my other two 'moments'. But I think I have cracked it now.......

We should get some more continental rides organised. 'Thursday Night Ride to the Continent' (TNRttC) must be a good proposition?

Must have done - they were firmly shut the following year...funny that. (PS Sorry about the thread res. but someone 'man in black' posted today (6th April 2015 :smile:) about a sortie to Dieppe, and I just had a 'moment of innocence'.)

Top Bottom