Friday Discussion - Looking back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
ManiaMuse said:
But isn't the most dangerous area of of a roundabout traffic coming from the left not seeing you/ignoring your priority? At least that's what I was told when learning to drive and I apply it when I'm cycling by eyeing up every vehicle about to join with suspicion. No-one should overtake you on a roundabout especially if you take the lane and cycle reasonably swiftly so I like to focus mainly on the hazard from the left.

Just because they shouldn't doesn't mean there won't be somebody stupid enough to try. I have come across a few chancers in my time, not just with a cycle, but with a motorcycle also. On two wheels on a roundabout the biggest hazards come from all around.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It's hard to say, the amount I look back is totally dependent on so many variables, road conditions, speed and traffic levels to name a few.
On a straight road maybe 1 or 2 every 30 seconds

I have on occasions looked behind me more than I look infront!! Mostly done over multiple lane carrage ways which are fast moving. You can see who is going to pass close long before it happens and you can take action!

Jezston

Über Member
I look back at a constant rate of once every time I feel I need to.

I am yet to be surprised by anything coming up behind me (steady). Yes even with my headphones on.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
gaz said:
I have on occasions looked behind me more than I look infront!! Mostly done over multiple lane carrage ways which are fast moving. You can see who is going to pass close long before it happens and you can take action!

A couple of miles of my commute is on a fast single-carriageway trunk road. For much of this distance, more of my attention is on what's going on behind, in the mirrors, than what's in front. There are few hazards in front, but every vehicle approaching from behind needs checking to see how big it is, how fast it's going, how far out it's moved to pass me (if it's moved out at all), is it towing a caravan... on a windy day, what shape it is: flat fronted buses have a large and powerful bow-wave of air, much more than lorries.

Recently they resurfaced this road. It was well overdue, but it's now eerily quiet. If I don't keep a watch out, even quite large vehicles can approach silently enough not to be heard.

Gains

I have to say im a bit slack at the checking behind outside of obvious maneouvers and junction-ey sections. I find that when i look over my right shoulder, by the time i look back iv moved out a fair bit - obviously practice makes perfect but i prefer to use my ears as a primary warning of traffic and any peek over the shoulder is more of a bonus!:biggrin:

Hopefully ill get better though but as someone else mentioned im petrified of pot holes and cracks so spend most of my time looking at the road and preserving my wheels/groin!!:smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You wouldn't be the only one that does than Gains.
Even if your in a car, if you look right, the car will steer to the right.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yep your bike tends to head where you are looking.

I found a related nugget of knowledge about this regarding potholes too. Rather than trying to steer around a pothole or other obstruction, just look at a point where you want your bike to go. It takes a bit of practice but it does work.;)

Norm

BentMikey said:
I hope that's not me? Mind, I also have mirrors on the 'bent, so it's often not evident when I'm looking back.
No, it's not, and I don't really want to add to the armchair criticism against those who do post videos by highlighting anyone in particular. ;)

BigSteev said:
It's possible that being aware they're making a video they try to minimise head movement to reduce those annoying motion sickness inducing moments it causes when watching the video afterwards.
That is possible but, I would suggest, rather silly. In choosing between looking good on the video and performing a life-saver, I'll never make Cecil B. DeMille.

Matthames said:
I also do a lot more rear observation when I am negotiating a roundabout as I like to have a 360 picture of what is going on.
+1, and I think this also ties into ManiaMuse's comments, trying to get a picture of everything and everyone around, including those waiting to join.

I'll take a strong position on a roundabout, I use the words "reverse primary / secondary" in my head to mean taking the position from the right hand edge of the road rather than the left hand side.

Gains said:
but i prefer to use my ears as a primary warning of traffic and any peek over the shoulder is more of a bonus!:biggrin:
Can I get any odds about what's going to happen next? :biggrin:

CotterPin

I tend to look back quite regularly. It makes sure I am not surprised by what might be about to overtake me and I am convinced it actually makes some drivers back off a bit or pull further out when overtaking me.

Top Bottom