Friday night is songs of war and rembrance music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
And another pink floyd classic

View: https://youtu.be/19MLI6dLq0E

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

That came on the music channel that I was watching with my stepdaughter last week. She had heard of Enola Gay but had never actually heard it before then. She said that she liked the song so I asked if she understood what the lyrics were about. I wound it back and played it again so she could listen more carefully. She took a guess but didn't really have a clue. I imagine that is probably true for at least 50% of the people who have ever listened to it? I explained the lyrics to her and she found the explanation quite moving.

I think it is a really great pop song - very catchy, but with meaningful and dark lyrics that could slip 'under the radar'.

For those who don't know, and are interested here is my interpretation of the lyrics ...

Enola Gay, you should have stayed at home yesterday: Enola Gay was the name of the mother of the American pilot who flew the plane which dropped the atom bomb on Hiroshima. He named the plane after her. It would have been better for humanity if the plane had not been flown to Japan and the atom bomb used.

These games you play, they're gonna end in more than tears someday. Aha Enola Gay, it shouldn't ever have to end this way: Dropping the atom bombs on Japan was an appalling enough thing to do, but one day atomic war could kill us all.

It's 8:15, and that's the time that it's always been: The bomb was dropped at 8:15 am. Many clocks and watches were frozen in time by the shockwave from the atomic blast. The time shown on them would forever be 8:15, a reminder of what had taken place that morning.

Enola Gay, is mother proud of little boy today? Aha this kiss you give, it's never ever gonna fade away: Deliciously clever ... The bomb was nicknamed 'Little Boy'. You could imagine the mother proud of her once little boy, now a grown man, a pilot is the US Air Force. Maybe she kissed him goodbye before he set off on his mission? But also ... were the crew of Enola Gay proud of what they had done? It would change the future of humanity, and no matter what we tried to do, the atomic kiss would linger on forever.

Aha Enola Gay, it shouldn't fade in our dreams away: Never forget what happened that day. Let it serve as a warning to all of us. And most of all ... Trump ... don't f**k about with countries which already have the bomb or will develop one if you fall out with them!

PS My sisters just walked in while I was playing the video and they didn't know what the song's lyrics are about either!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Elvis Costello's Shipbuilding... perfectly sung by Robert Wyatt.

Mitch & Mickey's The Ballad of Bobby and June

Top Bottom