Friday night music is: Flowers and trees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats

Chris S

Legendary Member

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Never pass up an opportunity to remind the world of China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, from October 1974 at Winterland. The extended jammed segue from China to Rider is one of those stunning Dead moments from history, thankfully preserved for evermore for repeated enjoyment.

Rhythm guitarist Bob Weir kicks off the jam when the tempo doubles to a classic Kreutzmann solid-groove at 3' 43", with some rare lead work, throwing out an array of sweet-sounding chops and runs. Jerry meanwhile is standing patiently and fulfilling the rhythm guitar role - acutely attuned to what Bobby's doing, as well as the other band members, but clearly absolutely itching to get back in the driving seat. And of course he does - he carefully and politely weaves his way back to the forefront as Bobby tails off and settles back into his usual role of adding colour to Jerry's gorgeous noodling and explorations.

Jerry proceeds to lead us on a beautiful journey, enjoying some fabulous interactions with Phil on bass along the way - hear the crowd's reaction as Phil responds to Jerry's inspired brief pause and exhilarating 6'14" strained chord-with-bend selection by dropping in some beautifully appropriate heavy low notes. Jerry then keeps the magic flowing in his inimitable style, eventually steering the band into Rider when it feels right.

All is right with the world when Jerry is beaming his beatific smile, or nodding vigorously in satisfaction at the sounds coming from his own fingers....and there are some good example moments here, notably at 6'35" - 6'45". Notice Bobby's grin at 8' 53", when Jerry absolutely nails a little run....complete band-in-unison perfection.

Every time they played China-Rider, they played it, and in particular the segue, differently.......it was always one of the classic extemporised jam opportunities in their live repertoire. I've got about 200 versions of the piece, from about 1971 to 1993, and it changed quite a bit over the years. Always fascinating, though, and every time a concert is released from the huge archive, my first scan of the track listing/set list is for whether China-Rider featured that night.

Dang, I just love this stuff so much. :becool:

Some more superb versions:

Last edited:
Top Bottom