Friday night music is: Flowers and trees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
How did I not remember this one? The haunting story of Roses Blue by Joni Mitchell.

Roses Blue - YouTube

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
More of virtuoso Jerry and the Dead playing flower-related improvised exquisiteness, this time from another famed two-song sequenced jam - Scarlet Begonias > Fire On The Mountain. Half an hour of unrelenting extreme aural pleasure.

Many years ago I taught myself to play the entire ultra-melodic Jerry part of the 16-minute Fire in this 1983 performance. It took weeks, as I can't really call myself a guitarist, and of course I could only deliver it at a billionth of the quality of the great man himself. Most of it is single-string stuff, so not too difficult to figure out by ear, but a few bits of it I couldn't replicate however much I tried, due to the impossible technique.

It goes without saying that every time they played this jam it was drastically different. When I try to play the 1983 lead lines over versions from, say, 1977 or 1989, it doesn't work. The key is right but somehow a lot of the notes don't really fit or sound right, whereas over other 1983 or 1984 versions the lines do work - presumably something to do with modes or goodness knows what (I know nothing about music theory). Huge fun nevertheless, messing around with it all, and a lot of this 1983 Jerry Fire part is still in my fingers to this day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom