Friday night Oxford-London, 8/9 October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
eh?

you turned up to say hello at the station and then shuffled off?

No...
I had Bangers and mash with the guys too :rolleyes:
I left you all (with a tear in my eye) at the Mini factory as you headed out into the darkness and I returned to do battle on the Cowley road again....

Unfortunately, I had too much stuff to do this wekend to be sleep deprived (It's the lads Birthday), having been out of action for about 5 weekends (snip, flu) I owed the family some effort.

Was nice to meet-up for a few hours and it was the first-time I'd been on the bike for 5 weeks as well, I'd have struggled to London, whereas Augusts ride I fair flew along.

Hopefully there will be a next-time :thumbsup:

Tynan

Veteran
no pointing, I was having a laugh, I always am

turning out to to say hello at midnight is serious good bloke work, ditto the two at the finish

it was very nice to meet choo

I struggled to London as it happens

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
no pointing, I was having a laugh, I always am

turning out to to say hello at midnight is serious good bloke work, ditto the two at the finish

it was very nice to meet choo

I struggled to London as it happens

I knew :biggrin:
Good to meet you too, shame it was all to brief. Sounded like you had a mare of a night though. Pushing-on alone in the dark was pretty gutsy. Hope you'll have another go next year!
Take it easy out there!

Tynan

Veteran
thank-you, i like to think I was gutsy but after a proper think about it there was no other option, all a bit of a learning experience for me

unless I get better on hills that might be it for the Chilterns for, me my best riding is on the flat and down hills :tongue:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
you're not alone Tynan, when i did the ride in june i also missed the turn and shot down the other side for a mile
then had to come back up :rolleyes:

Tynan

Veteran
gawd, I was happier to ride on to London than go back up that hill and I didn't know I'd gone wrong

mind you if I'd know about the hills still to come on my own personal route, I might have gone back up the hill

wherever that turning is is clearly a key one to know

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The mystery of why Tynan wasn't picked up by the TEC, nor by the rider hiding in the bushes at the turn, has been solved.

I give you Exhibit A: a pair of clear Bloc glasses found by me halfway up Chinnor Hill, and belonging to Tynan.

Yes, Tynan somehow managed to leave the whole group behind and was first up the hill :biggrin:

Incidentally, if you'd come with us,you'd have found that the next hill has a gradient of 24% (1 in 4 in old money). Someone had an inclinometer on their bike computer.

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=51...7&lvl=15&sty=s&eo=1&where1=Walters Ash, Bucks

The Ordance Survey are sometimes sparing with their chevrons.

Tynan

Veteran
yes, this does appear true somehow, I for some reason thought I was at the back of the ride when in fact I was in the leading group, given the leaders had signposted the previous turn

they must all have stopped for a picnic if they didn;t catch up on that hill, I struggled up it that slowly, a mile of 1 in 7 I'm very pleased with, I can't even imagine 1 in 4, I'd guess that the left at the T junction towards something Ridge can't have been too much shorter or easier than Chinoor, I'm suprised I'm not traumatised by straining up that hill with the swinging handlebars lighting up yet more hill around the next mist laden bend

it was so bloody gorgeous to get away from those hills and back to pancake flat London

my apologies for not uttterly exonerating the ride organisers on this thread of all and any blame for me loosing myself in the Chilterns, at least it wasn't raining and cold, I might still be there ...

Top Bottom