Friday night Oxford-London, 8/9 October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
Is this still on?

Is that ETA at the cafe firm?

It's 19 miles from Acton to home and I need to be home by 9am to take the boy to football or it'll start causing me ag

(is it too obvious I'm looking for an out?)

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If any CCers are coming, the start is midnight sharp from Oxford railway station. You can't miss us - it's a fairly big group this time. Tea stop at the top of Sm*lld**n Lane and a quick Tesco stop half an hour later for food and proper toilets. There are two really hard hills and about five shorter ones that you'll certainly notice.

Tynan

Veteran
is the eta at the cafe stop reliable

sorry to nag, I do need to know, kids and that, tsk

Tynan

Veteran
bah, missed the cheap train fares, there're now £20 instead of £4 it seems

bugger, I've eyed up riding to meet the ride en route but it's a long way in the dark across the outskirts of London on a Friday night to boot

Tynan

Veteran
for those watching my vacillations with interest, I'm now defo going/coming

I told the wife I couldn't go, at which point she said she has now planned a girl's night in, I wasn't welcome and there was nowhere to sleep

I was bought off from staying the night in my own house with £20 which I've spent on the train fare, so now I'm £4 up on the deal

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Trains are a bit b0rked between Paddington and Slough - they're running 45 mins late, so you might want to leave early. Or head for Princes Risborough and head us off at Chinnor (ETA 0145).

I have to catch a train from Paddington at 0815, so I want to get to the cafe no later than 0700 (it's about 20 minutes from there to the station if you don't hang about). 0645 would be better; they are pretty quick at serving us but 16 cooked breakfasts might slow them up a bit.

Tynan

Veteran
eh?

you turned up to say hello at the station and then shuffled off?

two YACFers turned up in the cafe in full togs that had ridden all the wayfrom their houses to the cafe to say hello

most irregular

it was fun but the Chilterns were revolting, I gt seperated, all my stupid idiotic fault, after the first long drag, that nearly killed me, Fridays legs and all, after that I crashed about in the Chilterns for a bit finding more and more ups and downs until I found a proper road that lead to another until I found the A4 and hauled myself to London, where I promptly went wrog again and was fuming when i saw the peleton zipping past, I gave chase and we were all in the cafe 2 mintes later, hurrah!

The man in the cafe was very nice, I ate a huge breakfast and limped to Liverpool Sreet, I'm now home stinking and shattered

Andrij

Über Member
two YACFers turned up in the cafe in full togs that had ridden all the way from their houses to the cafe to say hello
Guilty! :biggrin: Did the same thing for the last ride. It's a good excuse for 25km through a very quiet London. The 25km back home was a bit busier.

The man in the cafe was very nice, I ate a huge breakfast and limped to Liverpool Sreet, I'm now home stinking and shattered
Shame timings didn't work out better. After getting Feline to Paddington for her 08:00 train I rode with Kim to ... Liverpool Street. The ride home from there was into a headwind - not much fun.

Good to finally put a face to the name (in spite having done a number of rides with you previously).

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The best laid plans of mice and men gang aft agley. Despite having a TEC in the form of Flying Dodo/Adam, Chinnor Hill (about a mile of 1 in 7) splits a group so badly - there can be 20 minutes between the first and last riders - that Tynan was out of sight of the faster riders and the back markers and missed the big "High Wycombe" sign, or maybe didn't realise we were going via High Wycombe.

Brewing up in the middle of nowhere was quite good fun - we took over a little country lane and had a 3am street party. And we got a proper paceline going along the Uxbridge Road (initially to teach some RLJing local a lesson, but then turned into a race for the cafe), which was when Tynan rejoined us.

Tynan

Veteran
pish, I was plain not ready to go when Kim and crew set off

50km? that'd be a decent distance under any other circumstances other the very rare one that I'd ridden more', and early too, you looked so fresh and clean I had the impression you'd walked from across the road

and again, no blame whatsoever to zilla's organisation, I got myself on my own and paid no attention whatsoever to route/turnings/anything, you might almost say it served me right, it's all good

I've had five hours kip, eaten a good dinner and opened beer two and I'm very happy and pleased with myself, as i said to the kids and wife, they're always good fun when you've finished

a mile of 1 in 7? that cheers me up, I'm no expert on hills, avoiding them as i do, at the time it didn't seem that steep other than I could barely keep going, it went on and on and on in the darkness and the mist and I really didn't like it, I'd have got off and walked if I thought it would have hurt less, that and the chance of being seen

thanks again zilla, it was a good do, I think with the ride to Paddington, LS and the actual ride I managed about 85 of our english miles, beats chest, those Chilterns miles should count for at least five miles a mile

Top Bottom