Friday night Oxford-London ride, 11 June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It has been suggested that I list this ride over here, so here goes.

Leave Oxford station at midnight sharp and ride to London via Horspath, Wheatley, Worminghall, Thame, Chinnor, Bledlow Ridge, High Wycombe, Beaconsfield, Jordans, Chalfont St Peter, Harefield and Ruislip. Finish at Paulo's Cafe in Acton for around 0630.

We've done this four times now and it's a mighty good ride. There is at least one big climb (Chinnor Hill) although this time we are using the 24-hour Tesco as a feed stop and taking a stove and kettle. So you'll need a mug, but you don't have to climb the legendary Smalldean Lane (unless you want to - it can be arranged) like we did last time.

It won't be dark for long and we will scatter a lot of deer and rabbits as we approach the M25. If interested please PM me. I did it on a Brompton last month, and it was fine.

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I'll be doing this ride, i'm booked on the 22.21 train out of paddington.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Sorry Roger, unlikely to be given a 'pass' for this time, too much other cycle-related stuff in June... I could never earn enough Brownie points!

For CC'ers considering this, it's a lovely run (I rode the inaugural event last year), as the weather is likely to be warm and the sun up early it'll be really peachy. Much better conditions than the first sleety March event!

The climb of Chinnor hill is a really good grunt and I reckon a detour to Smalldean lane should be de-riguer! I don't get-off and walk on too many hills, but...

If it's a bright night then there are some great views from Bledlow ridge and other spots along the way. There's also something strangely pleasurable, even surreal about emerging at dawn into the outskirts of a mostly dozing London with a small posse of cyclists.

Roll-up, roll-up... you'll not be dissapointed!

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Weather forecast is currently dry and clear (after rain during the day) with a reasonable probability of a tailwind. Go on - it's only about four quid on the train from London!

If it's warm enough I won't bother with a kettle since that means I have to use the touring bike - we *may* be able to get a hot drink somewhere, but you can bring a flask or just drink whatever you can find in the supersize Tesco. Red Bull works well, but the taste tends to repeat for about 24 hours. You have been warned.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Yes, Acton is London, about 20 mins' ride from Paddington. The cafe is on The Vale, the main road between Ealing and Shepherd's Bush

I think the train is artificially cheap because of all the students.

The weather forecast is now excellent, with a full-on tailwind.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I wish I could come, but have to pick up friend from Heathrow at 7am - I think they expect a car and not a sweaty guy on a bike...

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just waved them off from the Station! Was en-route to collect Dearest Daughter #1 from drunken Birthday party in town.
Nice evening for it!

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A nice ride, although we ran way ahead of schedule and had to stop and look at the scenery/mess about/take pictures/feed leftover sausage rolls to ducks to avoid hitting the cafe before 0530. A badger tried to kill us on Bledlow Ridge, a deer tried the same at Harefield and we chased a fox cub up Welders Lane in the dark.

People were still buying crates of Stella in Tesco at 3am!

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
So there were 4 of us the zilla matt paul and the cat, fab foodie put in a guest appearance to wave us off, a very nice chap.

With roger leading the way we were soon out on the lanes, a badger made a run for my front wheel but just missed then a deer crossed our path on a mission.
Then a fox cub pointed us in the direction of the tescos.

A very nice sunrise greeted us on leaving tescos and we paused at the grand union canal to admire a slalom course which looked very challenging.

At Harefield we stopped to watch the sun come up, the town was overun with ducks, then we rolled into town for breakfeast.

Yes, a great ride, faster than the fnrttc with good company Roger Matt Paul thankyou.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'll try and run another one in August, after the Dun Run but before it gets too cold and dark. I thought the new "southern" route worked quite well, although there must be somewhere to get a hot drink - I'll put some feelers out. That BP garage in West Wycombe did look fully open.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I especially like the picture of mattc and me at the traffic lights, although mattc warming his feet in Tesco is the funniest :sad:

Top Bottom