England : London Friday night Oxford to London, 12 Oct 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I used to run these three or four times a year but got out of the habit. Leave Oxford station at midnight and ride to Cafe Paolo in Acton for breakfast. Cafe opens at 0530 and we're generally there for 0615. Pit stop at M40 services, unless I find someone to knock up at 3am (it's possible...) The route makes no allowances for terrain and you get to climb Chinnor Hill and the HC Smalldean Lane (we don't do Cryers Hill these days, you lucky people).

Dreaming spires/Bridge of Sighs route out of Oxford then Horspath, Wheatley, Worminghall, Ickford, Thame, Chinnor, Bledlow Ridge, Saunderton station, Walters Ash, Hughenden Valley, High Wycombe, Beaconsfield, Seers Green, Chalfont St Peter, Harefield, Ruislip, Greenford, Ealing, Acton.

There is a wuss-out option (West Wycombe) if you don't fancy Smalldean Lane.

Will be cancelled if wet, so buy cheap train tickets.

The cafe is 20 mins from Paddington, if you're returning to the provinces.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry Rog. It clashes with the FNR to Shoreham.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It was originally intended for non-Londoners, on the basis that you can get from London to anywhere by train. It's a lot more challenging to get home to the Midlands from a coastal resort. Having said that, Oxford-London trains are so cheap and frequent that we had a lot of Londoners too.

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Might bypass High Wycombe and go through Hazlemere and Penn (nice fast road) to get to Beaconsfield. This involves going up Cryers Hill first. It is aptly named.

kimble

Veteran
I wasn't paying attention and missed the Shoreham clash, but I'm going to do this one anyway because cheap tickets and not spending half of Saturday falling asleep on trains (with a ride across London in the middle) appeals. Also Smalldean Lane.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
I am due to spend that weekend in Glos with a bunch of musical friends but am trying to work out if there is some way I can include this ride. Tricky. Maybe I can come and heckle in Thame (while climbing into a wheel bin or whatever it is they do at 1.30am here).

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think Thame is just passing out on the pavement. High Wycombe is falling asleep between wheelie bins and running after cyclists in your pants.

Of course, if you don't want to ride, you could put the kettle on :-D

Spartak