FNRttC Friday Night Ride: London to Whitstable - 9th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Ingenious. If I ride backwards, the wind will be behind me. Perfect.
It might just work....

Redlight

I see we have a fair number of first-timers. I wonder how many are a result of that excellent piece in the Guardian last week.

Just fettled the bike in readiness. Good job I did as I discovered that the resistor on my front light had pretty much given up the ghost. I've replaced the light with the latest version of the same model and it seems (in daylight) to be noticeably brighter So bring your shades!

As far as I can see, southern/network rail's 'works' on the Vic to ?Littlehampton line stop at 05.15 saturday morning. Even if they overrun a couple of hours, trains should run when we need them, certainly to Angmering, and you can change anywhere from Hove and onwards westwards. Easy? Hope so.

edit: for clarity - e.g. 12.16 Vic to Bog arrives 14.30; 1 change; £17; (going via Preston Park and Worthing, not via Horsham and Arundel)

All trains are going the long way round via Hove, as there aren't any trains running between Billingshurst and Horsham and it's changing at Littlehampton. So once you add in the 1 hour 24 minute journey from Whitstable to Victoria, it means over 4 hours.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
All trains are going the long way round via Hove, as there aren't any trains running between Billingshurst and Horsham and it's changing at Littlehampton. So once you add in the 1 hour 24 minute journey from Whitstable to Victoria, it means over 4 hours.
I think the most apt word for that is 'Bugger!'…Southern services are slow enough at the least-worst of times.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
Just trying to sort out my tickets and the trains from Whitstable to STP have been cancelled tomorrow morning due to the high winds!!
The Victoria trains are still going - nearly the same route too.
The trains from Canterbury West to STP are still running though (that route is more inland).
Guess it's a trip up the Crab and Winkle Way for me then :whistle:

Edit: the trains are running but not stopping between Faversham and Margate.

Last edited:

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
ust trying to sort out my tickets and the trains from Whitstable to STP
Ta for the warning - I need to sort my advance ticket, which is now useless.
Various options:
Take a VIC (1 an hour) train from WHI, change at Faversham for STP
Ride to Canterbury West for STP
Go from WHI to Margate for direct to STP.

Tag along with @rb58 who is definitely riding back

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
Ta for the warning - I need to sort my advance ticket, which is now useless.
Tag along with @rb58 who is definitely riding back
Ha! It's only 'possibly' now. It all depends on how strong the wind is going to be across the marshes. If it's too tasty, I have a plan B which does not involve a train. On the up side, not riding back means I shall be staying for beer.

Trickedem

Guru
Cake baking is in full swing at Trickedem Towers
IMG_20190809_202429.jpg
IMG_20190809_202357.jpg

Top Bottom