FNRttC Friday Night Ride to......Brighton on Friday 17th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
And we're now all at the top of Ditchling admiring the view.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I was running late but thought I'd make the start, then I got a puncture, by the time I'd sorted that out I realised I'd miss the off so went home again.
Sorry I didn't text you @Flying Dodo, I forgot to put your No. in my phone.

TimO

Guru
After leaving home with clear skies and a moon, when I got to Clapham Common it started raining fairly heavily. I had enough slack to risk hiding under a tree for ten minutes, which I did, allowing the rain to get heavier !

As others have said, whilst we mostly got fairly wet travelling to the start, the ride proper wasn't overly damp, and it did eventually dry up letting us do the same.

I overdid sprinting back to the front, from waymarking, and slightly borked one knee, but it just caused the odd minor ouch on Ditchling, and on the return back to That London, aided by Southern trains.

At the top of Ditchling, I assumed that others had already left, so did my normal mad shoot down into Brighton, being mildly annoyed that I had to slow at the speed camera, because the road conditions were fairly dire. I got to the Madeira cafe, and was a bit surprised that no one else had arrived first.

After a few brown beers, the last few of us made our ways home, Adam and myself departing to the station, and at least in my case finding that the train left fairly soon, and uneventfully delivered me back home.

The route seemed to take us in some interesting directions, and the view from Ditchling was only a little hazy, which is about as good as you can expect.

Thanks to Adam for leading the ride, and all the others that make FNRttCs one of the most enjoyable ways that you can spend an entire night, deliberately awake! :laugh:

topcat1

vintage Mercian 2012
I have a feeling i've been that way many moons ago.Maybe in my hiking days.

I've been dreading the Beacon for the last 2 years, however thanks to @ianrauk advising someone a while ago I remembered his advice to take it in stages and it was great.

When I got to the station no trains were running so decided to ride to Shoreham then jumped on a train back to Brighton then home.

@TimO made the ride :okay: and what a ride it was thanks Adam and the AllUP crew and the turn left/right...ers.
tc1

Last edited:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Now on my way back from Portsmouth with 180km in the bag. Thanks @StuAff for the company and route guidance.
I saw you and Stu cycling al;ong the crappy bit of the A259 to Shoreham while I was being a WVM.
I tried to do a close shave just for a larf but you were going the other way...:okay:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Due to Southern Railway's higher than normal uselessness- I first went to Nutbourne station & next train was an hour away, so went to Emsworth and no way to buy a ticket, by the time I got to Havant no advantage to getting a train- I rode all the way back. 113.7 miles since HPC. Thanks @User482. More later....

robjh

Legendary Member
Another top ride, @Flying Dodo. I've been looking forward to a Brighton ride for a while, and to finally conquering that Beacon after it defeated me in 1985. I haven't forgotten...
The Beacon was of course the high point, in more senses than one, but a close second was the sudden exit from suburbs over the wide, dark expanse of Farthing Down, as well as the twisting lanes from there down to the A25. A little less gravel and fewer puddles would have been nice, as well as a less torrential start to the ride, but I can now see that these all added to the fun. It was a night of good company and the shared sense of doing something slightly mad with others who like the same. A good ride all round.

I rode back this morning as far as Purley, and even found time for a flying visit to my sister in Caterham, but once safely in the Oyster zone I let a fast train to London Bridge take the strain, and am now back home and in need of a shower in a rather chilly Cambridgeshire. I did 107 miles HPC-Brighton-Purley, and 113 from door to door.
A few of my pictures weren't too bad - to follow.

rb58

Enigma
Thanks @Flying Dodo for organising. Shame about the weather, but I loved the new route. I suffered my first p*ncture (on the road) of the year and @Tim Hall, @hatler and @User482 were quick to help out and get me going again. I singularly failed to get the CO2 into the tube (I realised afterward that the trigger needs to be screwed onto the valve, not just push fitted), and Tim came to the rescue with the BIG PUMP. Thanks team!

The second half of the ride seemed to whizz along quite nicely, and I took my time up the beacon as I learned some time ago there are some hills you can attack, and some that deserve more respect. Hats off to @Tim Hall for conquering it on fixed - that's something I'm sure I could never do.

I decided to take a different route northward for the SMRbtH this time and used the A23 cycle path, including the new stretch up Handcross Hill. And I quite enjoyed it - I spent a few minutes on the hill watching a herd of deer (not visible from the road, only the cycle track) gallivanting in the ferns and trees. It was captivating. 117 miles for me, and a new Eddington number to boot - 103.

Bring on Bognor.

ianmac62

Guru
Thanks, Adam! And all the helpers! Loved the cattle grids.

Caught a train at 0928 but not the one I had an advance ticket for. So did some of the Bromptoneers. We were waved on by Southern staff and any ticket was valid on the trains that did leave (this was a Gatwick Express) and also at the barrier at Victoria.

From Milton Keynes station, I pedalled to our CTC Bike Week barbecue near Towcester and then home.

114 miles door-to-door, a PB for me. So chuffed!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
What a cracker, great job @Flying Dodo. Work on sorting out those sacrifices to the weather gods though, still room for improvement :okay:

Work's moved twenty miles down the road, but the whole FNRttC after work train problem has (mostly) changed for the positive. Making the (slow) train of 'choice' from Pompey was dependent on making a few minutes' time on a Friday night. If the timetable for Southampton was the same I'd never make a ride. But it's not, thankfully, and the trains are much faster. Made a whole two minutes on Friday night (woo!) which was enough, combined with having lights and bottles on the bike ready to go, to mean I was on the platform at the airport station at 9.35, three minutes before the train left. If I'd missed it I'd still have got to HPC in time with the 2208 service. As it was, even with the train being held at Waterloo for five minutes, still plenty of time to go to Victoria first. Late predictions of rain proved sadly accurate. I set off from Waterloo and I'd barely got onto York Road before the heavens opened. I'd got my rain trousers (as it was a wet commute to and from the stations to work) but I hadn't put them on. Nicely soaked before I got to Victoria...Gear dried out quickly enough once the rain cleared....

I went for the Viner not anticipating extended need for mudguards. And it was about time it did a FNR. It was the right decision for most of the conditions, just not the bit where it tipped down for hours on end. Oops. Never mind, there will be cleaning in the morning. The Litespeed would have been only slightly better off dealing with all the grot anyway..Second oops of the night was when I was unable to help the lad with the B' Twin (second ride I think, don't know his name) who needed some AAA batteries for his front light. I had charged four spares ready for the night (on top of the four in my two rear lights). And then left them, along with all the the spare AAs, in their bag at home. Good job I didn't need them myself...

Some interesting alterations to the route. Farthing Downs was pleasant, nice view too, though I can certainly see @User13710's point about the extended dogleg to make Faygate. The Gatwick Surprise would have cut that out, though I for one prefer the Cabin's catering (in @ianrauk's absence I hoovered up some left over bread pudding. Calories put to good use!). I inadvertently caused a slight delay to a few riders when I took the trousers off (that really was it, not a mechanical or health issue!). Ditchling as challenging as always (just challenging enough in my case, I still had the 34x27 gear to hand if I'd needed it). Red lights coming down the hill were indeed a complete pain, and down to the Madeira somewhat later than ride leader planned, by 8.30 or so.

One large breakfast and a bit of a natter later, self and @User482 set off westward. Even if I hadn't planned to ride, yet more disruption to Southern services, as noted by others, forced my hand. Steve had asked for route advice with the intention of riding as far as Cosham & getting his own century in, and with a few on-the-day tweaks (the route I did was quickly cobbled together, so didn't correspond to what I'd usually use) we followed that for the most part. Fortunately, the weather was rather more favourable than for Shoreham. A crosswind, but one that didn't impede progress too much. We stuck together as far as Chidham, when Steve pulled away to make absolutely sure he'd make his booked train, our pace to that point being probably OK for that rather than definitely. Given that I'd now hit the ton, I gave some thought to taking a train for the last stretch. Southern had other ideas. Went to Nutbourne station, half a mile down the road. Next train in an hour. So I carry on. Emsworth next decent bet, I thought, two or three miles down the road. Well, ticket machine was out of order and ticket office was closed. On I went again, and once I got to Havant, a mere five and a bit miles from home, it wasn't worth getting a train anyway. Back about 1.30, the second ton for the month done, 113.7 miles since HPC. Bed not long afterwards.

Thanks everyone. Cardiff next Friday, hurrah!

Last edited:
Top Bottom