FNRttC Friday Night Ride to......Brighton on Friday 17th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
I don't know about the current ride leaders, but Simon quite reasonably wasn't willing to entertain that, other than for exceptional reasons*. Once you start allowing it, you potentially multiply the organisational complexities required to coordinate meetings and contact people. Almost every ride to the south passes within less than a mile of my house, occasionally a few hundred feet, and that's a far from unique occurrence for members of the The Fridays. A quick 10 mile jaunt into central London is no great effort.

* A reasonable justification is things like meeting regulars riders with their small proto-Friday-members at the bottom of Ditchling, since some are just too young to do an entire night ride.

Except that my first ever ride with the Fridays was a rendez-vous in Ditchling with mini on the trailer-bike. Perhaps I hadn't spotted the 'no joining except at the start' rule, or maybe it wasn't clearly stated. I don't even recall mentioning to Simon that I would be towing a littl'un. Anyhow, it all worked out for the best.

(IIRC I think we did at least three rides joining in Ditchling and then peeling off at the top of the Beacon and then three where we carried on down into Brighton before I ever did a full ride. Perhaps any qualms OGL had were assuaged by the regular provision of coffee.)

Mr Orange

Many thanks @Flying Dodo for another great adventure. Looking forward to Felpham...maybe on a big bike for once.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^ Lovely pics @Tim Hall (apart from one) . I noticed the campers. They had a couple of bikes under a tarpaulin next to their tents. It was quite an inspired site to pick, but the traffic noise might have turned out to be a bit of a problem later.

hatler

Guru
Too late to put my commentary on this ride together. It's been quite a complex weekend, so you'll have to wait.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
'No joining at the start' was a somewhat flexible rule. I've joined the peloton en route a few times when I've had to get later trains, mostly Clapham Common but a a couple of other places. Remember Ess joining at Stratford at least a couple of times. And need I mention User10571's efforts in getting to J31 after oversleeping on a Southend ride?

ianmac62

Guru
... we encountered an unmarked junction, a group of bemused cyclists and tail lights heading off in what I was sure was the wrong direction. The person with the biggest voice was sent off to chase them down and I rechecked the route, as it was on my phone, thanks to my late arrival arrangements with @Flying Dodo. All were soon safely gathered in and then we were reunited with the rest of the bunch ...
Spiffy ride, excellent company, pics here

Yes, I'm very grateful to @Tim Hall and particularly to the kind person with the biggest voice for chasing us down. I shall have to practice standing around looking bemused.

Great pics!

I need to have a pre-ride checklist of things to say before we set off. This time I forget to say for anyone waymarking, not to leave their post until they get the official all-up call from the official all-upper. The person was very apologetic a few miles further on, as they hadn't realised there were still a few more behind, so it's my fault.
Not sure it is your fault unless you asked a first timer to waymark? It's all in the job description:

"They go to the front of the ride, take a junction, point the way, wait for the Tail End Charlies to come by and shout 'all-up', and then scoot to the front again."
:okay:

U

User482

I need to have a pre-ride checklist of things to say before we set off. This time I forget to say for anyone waymarking, not to leave their post until they get the official all-up call from the official all-upper. The person was very apologetic a few miles further on, as they hadn't realised there were still a few more behind, so it's my fault.
These things happen, particularly when people are tired: the system works perfectly about 95% of the time, and the mistake was corrected quickly by the excellent Hatler.

hatler

Guru
Many thanks, @hatler! We spoke later on at the approach to the Beacon but I didn't recognise you in daylight as my saviour in the darkness!

I will find looking bemused much easier than chasing down the pack.

No worries, @Flying Dodo.
No worries. A bit behind you was a third rider who I hurled past and simply shouted 'Turn back' at. I'm not sure who that was but I think it might have been one of my three newbies.

hatler

Guru
As I alluded to above, that was a logistically complex weekend, but I'll save the non-FNRttC stuff to the bottom of this post.

Anyhow, secure in the knowledge of a dry ride I came lightly dressed, and only included a waterproof jacket on the grounds it would be handy as a windproof on some of the downhill sections. I really should have taken a lesson from the last four weeks' worth of abysmal forecasting from the Beeb.

I always try to get a couple of hours lying down before the rides, but due to other commitments (see below), I only managed an hour, except that it should only have been 30 minutes as I had mis-set the alarm. Eeeeek ! Mild panic as I was due to meet three newbies under the clock at Waterloo and guide them to the start. This meant I had to resort to the train instead of pootling up there. Approaching Clapham I became aware of a weird thrumming sound from the roof of the train. The doors opened and the source of the sound became apparent - a tropical downpour. Erk.

At Waterloo the three newbies were looking a little concerned. One had never ridden in the dark before and two had certainly never covered this kind of distance before (at least, not for many years), so the extremely damp conditions outside weren't conducive to a sense of excitement.

We did the lap around Parliament Square (eschewing the new straight on cycle lane) to see the Jo Cox memorial and then Birdcage Walk and around the front of Buck House, getting soggier by the second. Thankfully at HPC there was both enough space under the arch and no wind whistling through, though it's still hard to stave off the chills when standing still for half an hour in soggy gear.

We set off into heavy rain, but it was definitely easing up, and continued to ease up from there on. I was TECing with @User482 and we didn't have long to wait for the first puncture. Ross was the lucky feller on the incline up towards Clapham Common. @Tim Hall had joined us by now so we were well set for full-on TEC action.

At the gathering on the Common @Tim O was able to deploy his pliers on the failed v-brake of another newbie. (Apparently he had first encountered the ride when walking through the arch one Friday evening many moons ago and thought "I ought to do that one day.' Well, that day had come. Except that his front brake wasn't working.) All fixed and off we set.

New route, less rain, great new climb up the North Downs to Farthing Down with spectacular views all around at Toy Town Suburbia laid out below. And cattle grids !! You don't get too many of those in London.

More punctures, wibbly roads, surface gravel, the missing waymarker where I had to tear off after three riders (thank god for Tim H, his local knowledge and his GPS). The joy of the chat.

I've been very slack in recent weeks in keeping myself trim, so the gentle pace at the back was very welcome. It all went horribly wrong though with about 12 miles to go to Faygate when the waymarker got a puncture. I called FD and he decided to keep going with the group to the caff, and because Tim H had the route we wouldn't need the waymarkers. Puncture duly fixed and I'm now with three strong riders on a mission, and not a slow rider in sight. Ooo errrr. That was a little faster than I was really capable of. I pitched up at the caff red in the face and feeling a little pooped. (And a huge vote of thanks to the dedication shown by the waymarkers who did wait for us. I clocked @robjh and Tim O, but there were a couple of others as well, so thank you all.)

Tea and bread pudding hit the spot (as ever), but sadly Michele (one of the three newbies) was having a knee-moment, and after a bit of advice from second newbie Sophie (a sports physio or something along those lines) it was determined that carrying on was not advisable. Directions were sought for the route to Horsham and Mark (that is the caff owner isn't it ?) fabulously volunteered to drop Michele and bike off there. What a sterling chap.

I was relieved of TEC duties from there on so was able to ride with newbie No. 3, Jacs. (It was Jacs whose interest in riding with us was piqued last New Year's Eve at a bash we were at. Silly girl, that'll teach her to commit to something after a couple of sharpeners.)

We left the caff at about 5.30 and the day was glorious. Roads were still damp but as far as I am aware there were no more punctures. At Cuckfield I headed off alone to collect little miss h and Timbo and his lad from Blackberry Wood who were joining us for the ride over the Beacon and into Brighton. We hit the centre of Ditchling just as the tail of the ride was passing through. Perfect timing.

To the greenhouses, a brief pause there and then up the hill. Sadly no coffee, but Mrs hatler was otherwise engaged (see below). All incident free after that. The rise up past the golf course has rarely seemed less daunting to little miss h and she whooped up it.

Then the bumpy ride through the rough-as-guts Brighton roads to the Madeira and more tea and food. The crowd thinned and the hatlers were left with two choices; brown coloured restorative rehydration in a nearby hostelry, or visiting little miss h's best buddy who lives about a quarter of a mile from the Madeira. I thought I stood a good chance of winning that one until I was reminded that the friends have just acquired two kittens. Game over.

Great route. Great ride. No two are ever the same, which is why I keep coming back. Fabulous. Thank you @Flying Dodo. And thank you waymarkers, and my fellow TECers, sorry I had to abandon my post at half-distance.

That's enough for now. I'll add the weekend's complexities in a further post.

Last edited:

TimO

Guru
Here's one I prepared earlier.

I presume that was actually a record of one of the recce rides, since it differs very slightly from my recording, once shortly after we left, in Belgravia, and a second time around Haywards Heath.

For the record, this is my recording of the route (on GPSies) with a few minor edits to remove errors and the mass of data points that tends to occur when we stopped to recongregate.​

FNRttC_Brighton_June2016_adj.png
Also for anyone who is curious, this is the altitude profile.

FNRttC_Brighton_June2016_Altitude.png

I also liked the new bit over Farthing Down, with its interesting view back over London. Generally I liked this route, although it had the more traditional approach to Ditchling, rather than the newer one, which most people (including myself) seemed to like.

Farthing Down is apparently "the most extensive area of semi-natural downland left in Greater London", according to Wikipedia.

Top Bottom