FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 21st March - Burnham-on-Crouch via Junction 31

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
That reminds me TC, how did you stop yourself killing the guy who nearly took your front wheel out during our all too brief chat?
That was a bit hairy, but nothing came of it. And considering that I was to have a hour in the ride where I had to fight to stay awake and would veer about a bit as a consequence, probably causing similar annoyance, I'm quite glad that the pearl-handled derringer is generally deployed only as a last resort...

martint235

Dog on a bike
^_^ my heart beat went up a notch, and it wasn't my wheel!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Evening all, greetings from Heathrow T5 where I sit in Pret awaiting a delayed flight to Dusseldorf ….

What can I say that hasn’t already been said? A good night’s cycling, well organised and good company. To have 70+ cyclists out on a stormy March night takes something and someone special … congrats to Simon, Susie, the recce crew and the TECs.

User10571 hit the nail on the head when he mentioned clothing, it was a good night to test your kit, your preparation and your mettle. Damn glad I packed my gilet almost as an afterthought as I left the house. The Paramo jacket I bought for just such occasions also passed the test with flying colours – a good investment. In terms of preparation I lacked a dry pair of socks for the return but the tootsies survived the ordeal just fine.

So what of the ride? On the train on the way back to London, Miranda asked me what my highlight of the night was … and I really couldn’t think of one immediately. For me it was a mellow ride, no highs and no lows, meeting old friends and making some new, Martin (Simpsons), Trickedem and others whose name I didn’t grab. I rode well considering my lack of miles, holding station near the front and happy to be’ victimised’ ;-) by Simon for signposting duties. I’m always amazed by those who choose to ride a Brommie on this kind of ride (Chapeau btw) and on this one there were so many ‘clown bikes’ to quote Adrian, it felt like riding in a circus. Perversely, the best bit, my highlight was hurtling through the rain as we blasted out of London, I was warm, dry, and the group moved well – I love urban riding the most anyhow and a mild sense of mania took over as we charged headlong into the maelstrom albeit assisted by a healthy tailwind. The Rotherhithe tunnel was a surreal treat and should become a regular event for eastward rides.

Utopia came and went as did the industrial wastelands of the estuary. My teeth today are most polished thanks to the amount of sand partaken from the rear wheels of Simon and Claudine on the approach to the services. Part 2, post coffee and donuts was cold. The hill is deserved of mention and I was glad to get to the top with my 1980s manly gearing. Dawn warmed the cockles as did the gently rolling countryside complete with Essex- vulgar blingy new-builds. Signposting the last major turn brought me to the café at the back of the pack and the last table served. Hunger got the better of me and the clock expired for joining the ride back to London. C’est la vie. I took a quick look along the river and joined Miranda, Ann, Zee and others on the train back to Londinium. (At this point I must apologise to Adrian, Claudine, Tiny and a few others for not saying goodbye as I expected to see you guys at the station for the 0940 train - sorry). We had a few looks of horror from other passengers as we piled into the train and somehow ended-up in First Class … just to show we weren’t taking advantage we stood in apology. We got some pretty disdainful looks just the same.

On arrival we went in search of beer and ended-up in The George in Borough Road. Good chat and beer consumed we headed off towards Victoria and our ways home. I must find out what is this LMNH of which many speak ….

Thanks all for a good night. I’ve no idea when I’ll next be along but I hope it’s sooner rather than later … and ianrauk … maybe then we’ll get to ride back together! Cheers FF.

TimO

Guru
Just in case anyone wants the route that we actually cycled, I've put it up on GPSies here. It's almost identical to the route I posted previously, which was based on dellzeqq's planned route. There's a very slight difference in the way we went through Wickford, but otherwise even the route in and out of the services at Dartford are the same! I've had to manually edit the track through the Rotherhithe tunnel, since for some reason the GPS signal was non-existent under the Thames. :laugh:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well...the third night ride of the year (after last's week's IOW jaunt and the recce) for me. Rather flatter (I'll come to The Hill later), rather windier, rather more people of course, and rather wetter (because they were dry). Early enough finish at work to make the 2124 train of choice up to the smoke. A few drips of water on the two-minute ride to the station, but that soon changed. By the time I got to Guildford it looked torrential. A bit lighter when I left Waterloo(gged), but (like everyone else) much of the gear proved unable to cope with the sheer volume of H2O. I have a feeling that the waterproof trousers (which, as so often before, kept the legs dry) channelled water into the boots, which usually are rather more resistant to damp than they were the other night. Having the ankle bands on probably didn't help with that, though I don't know what would in the circumstances...Didn't have spare gloves or socks, hands and feet stayed wet for the duration. Stayed warm at least.

Not sure about the Rotherhithe variation- yes, it was nice to be out of the rain for a few minutes, but as I said to Claud on the night, not the best circumstances to judge whether it was better. First part of the ride was more grin (or not) and bear it...The damp did at least keep the exciting London/Essex nightlife a touch more restrained than usual. And then, the joys of Junction 31. How I have missed it.....A young lady asked if it was a bike race. Somehow resisted the strong temptation to be sarcastic. First stop for me the toilets, to extract at least some of the water from gloves and boots. Simon and a few others did the same. I'd followed Simon's advice about bringing sandwiches and the self-catered option hit the spot (bargaintastic 50p Boots sandwich, bread pudding, and some of the malt loaf). And, as on a certain notorious Brighton ride, once we were soaked for the duration, the rain departed for the second half.

When we got to Horndon on the Hill- wonder if that puncture woke anyone?- I did wonder if that was The Hill. Er, no. Not, IMHO, that bad (that was a relatively little one on the IOW scale), I did have to stop but only because as all too frequently, the Viner's front derailleur was being somewhat recalcitrant and 50x27 didn't strike me as a good idea. 34t ring engaged, I resumed, no walking required. There are worse climbs even in Essex.....

The rest of the ride seemed a bit more straightforward, I think the time even the last of us got into Burnham bore that out (minimisation of faffage and maximisation of rotation as a countermeasure for excess of saturation :smile: ). When User10571 got the nod to lead an advance party for the last ten miles or so, I decided to tag along. And despite what looked and felt like a decent turn of speed (barely dropped below 15 mph, much of it at 20 mph) I rapidly fell off the back- not a complaint, the exercise did me good, I should push myself more often, and that's a lot easier when you've got someone to chase! Made it to the Cabin Dairy at 6.45 (!). Excellent breakfast again. Worth the wait, I think. Ummed and aahed about the return options. Extra miles to Wickford didn't appeal that much. At 8am or so, checked the train times. Next one out of Burnham was at 8.20. That'll do. Back into Liverpool St at 9.30 or so, and back to Waterloo (journey 'enlivened' by a twice-undertaking headphone-wearing **** on a Specialized Allez that sounded like a BSO, his chain was making so much noise) in time for the ten o'clock home. Well, it would have been home, except a signal failure meant the train terminated at Havant- cue exit from station with several hundred bods doing headless chicken impressions and straight into a traffic jam. Six miles home took 35 minutes. A quick stint online to buy an SNCF ticket followed by a four-hour nap...

Been taking it easy today. Did clean half a ton of grot off the Viner.......

Thanks everyone. May Felpham be somewhat drier, not least because I have a few extra miles planned.....

Last edited:

ianmac62

Guru
Just in case anyone wants the route that we actually cycled, I've put it up on GPSies here.
Really sorry I missed this one as, having seen the route, it lit up memories of the 1970s when I was a teacher in Basildon. Horndon-on-the-Hill was one of the spots where we went to the pub on a Friday lunchtime and you can't imagine today's target-driven staff doing that any more. A posh colleague lived in Langdon Hills. We lived in a council house in Laindon. You passed within half-a-mile of Nicholas School (now demolished/amalgamated/rebuilt elsewhere/re-named/academised) as you went around the southern boundary of the Lee Chapel estate. My students included Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Alison Moyet and Marc François MP now the Minister of State for the Armed Forces (despite me taking him on a school trip to the school we were twinned with in Leningrad). Where would they all be if they hadn't passed O-level History? And they were all in the school chess team although Alison Moyet's older brother was the real star there. Happy days!

GazK

Veteran
This was my first FNRTTC, my first night ride, my first time in two hours of rain, and my longest ride *ever* and it was certainly a unique experience! Yes, the first couple of hours got progressively grimmer as the limitations of my gear became very apparent, with my personal low point being Barking, struggling to return sodden gloves to unwilling fingers before everyone left me behind. But then after an Amaretto-spiked coffee at Thurrock things improved, leading to an ill-advised spurt of speed somewhere around Chafford Hundred which only served to teach me what wind chill really feels like. Having come to my senses and slowed back down, we reached The Hill - which with hindsight was hilarious as I and other unfit comrades zigzagged desperately across the road – and then the seemingly endless descent into Basildon and onto South Wouldn't Ferrers was utterly glorious. Sadly the last of my legs gave out after the Tropical Wings Zoo - did anyone else think they maybe serve the exhibits for lunch? - and the final few miles into Burnham were a bit of a slog.

I must confess the lack of somewhere warm to sit at the Cafe made me a little grumpy - apols if that came across, I know there's no helping it and the staff did their best. The 4 train journey home left me a bit overwrought, especially with a short-but-high-tension ride from Finchley to Paddington which highlighted the step change in risk level during daylight hours in London.

But now that I'm warm and rested again I can see that a few small changes - another layer on top, actual waterproof gloves instead of the porous POS I wore, a change of socks in a watertight bag - would have made all the difference. Ironically my other gloves - the Goretex ones I forgot I had - have been standing in a bucket of water for an hour now and are still totally watertight. So I'll be more prepared for the next one, which will probably be Whitstable.

Oh and massive chapeau to all the Brommie riders, absolutely nuts.

Here are a handful of photos I took at the start and end...

DSC_0623.JPG

DSC_0628.JPG

DSC_0629.JPG

DSC_0630.JPG
DSC_0631.JPG
DSC_0632.JPG

DSC_0633.JPG

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Lovely photos @GazK

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Really sorry I missed this one as, having seen the route, it lit up memories of the 1970s when I was a teacher in Basildon. Horndon-on-the-Hill was one of the spots where we went to the pub on a Friday lunchtime and you can't imagine today's target-driven staff doing that any more. A posh colleague lived in Langdon Hills. We lived in a council house in Laindon. You passed within half-a-mile of Nicholas School (now demolished/amalgamated/rebuilt elsewhere/re-named/academised) as you went around the southern boundary of the Lee Chapel estate. My students included Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Alison Moyet and Marc François MP now the Minister of State for the Armed Forces (despite me taking him on a school trip to the school we were twinned with in Leningrad). Where would they all be if they hadn't passed O-level History? And they were all in the school chess team although Alison Moyet's older brother was the real star there. Happy days!
I was "All Cried Out" too at the top of The Hill...
[media]

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wWi6OrgZe4
[/media]

mistral

Guru
It was great to see everyone once again turning out in style for the start of the new season of FNR's.

The not so good bits
Got chilled and wet on the ride up to HPC
Volunteering to TEC meant no option for bursts of speed to ward off hypothermia
Got drenched waiting for 2 or 3 phases of lights to change as we exited the Tunnel
A puncture
Harrumphing & tutting fellow train passengers, who didn't appreciate getting intimate with a couple of dirty bikes
Not making it to LMNH

The good bits
Everything else, including; the ride itself, Rotherhithe, the plucky FNRers, Susie, breakfast

And a big thanks to all the way markers getting cold and wet for long periods

AKA Hotlips

A big thanks to Simon and Susie for the 1st Fridays ride of the year. It was great even though I got drowned and frozen in equal measure during the 1st half of the ride. Great to see lots of fellow Bromptonites on the road with me. The hill was ........ well a hill and I'm man enough to say that Mice and I cycled two thirds then walked the last third as it's bloody hard work on little wheels.
The rest of the ride took in the sun rise with surprise surprise ....... No more rain!! So yippeeee I said as I finally cycled into Burnham, past the station and along to the cabin cafe beside the estuary for a welcome pot of tea. Funny how cycling in the cold and rain always makes tea taste like the nectar of the gods!! Watched everyone eating their famous bangers and even managed to swipe some of David's bacon which was, I have to say, absolutely melt in the mouth wonderful.
We got the 8.20 train / s back to Liverpool St and then home to our hungry cats!!
And so, on to the next one to Felpham but might not take Hotlips the Brompton on that one as I have found that 75 miles on a Brompton (or clown bike as they are affectionately called) feels like 150 miles on a big bike
Bye for now x

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
Oh dear - dare I admit I really enjoyed it?

The Rotherhithe deviation was inspired much preferred to the normal Whitechapel chicane. Bit disappointed AH wasn't waiting at the other end to pin 'Dunnit' medals on our wetgear (wots our two quid for?). Yes it was a little damp on the far side. Dozy Dagenham is not match for Raunchy Romford and the HGV ridden laybys out past Rainham were no substitute for the Totties of Brentwood but J31 Service Station is just great. Loos to pee for, a dry and secure place to park your bike and lots and lots of tables to spread out and picnic. And did we picnic!

I loved the second half. It was like a first time - not knowing quite where you were or what the next turn would be. Horndon not on the Hill was gorgeous. The Hill on the Hill gave us something to bite on. The dawn was good one. The rest of Essex was gentle, the cafe cute, the tailwind a bonus.

Oh and thanks to Alan and Tim D for much appreciated medication. Maybe if I hadn't put on an extra layer or taken a spare pair of gloves it might have been very different ...

Top Bottom