FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 21st March - Burnham-on-Crouch via Junction 31

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
...... but might not take Hotlips the Brompton on that one as I have found that 75 miles on a Brompton (or clown bike as they are affectionately called) feels like 150 miles on a big bike
Bye for now x
See, I told you Brommie miles were worth more :whistle:
Nice meeting you.

GazK

Veteran
@mytinynewt, Sealskinz waterproof socks are definitely on the shopping list. My first move is to fit a front lowrider rack to my comfy bike to allow me to use the Ortlieb pannier I already own. Then I have a secure dry space to store some dry clothesand will open up options for spare clothes. Its something I've been meaning to do for some time anyway.

GazK

Veteran
If it was just socks, yes. But if I were to approach an obviously-going-to-be-very-wet ride again I'd carry a proper change of clothing. I don't mind riding wet, but it's the 6 hour train journey home in wet clothes that's more of an issue!

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
This is how Burnham on Crouch (above the second river, in the upper left part of the picture) looks from above, by the way. Right on top of the engine is Southend, another seasoned FNRttC destination.

southend.jpg

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hello all - Martin here (Simpson mag editor). I've now joined Cyclechat because my judgement is still impaired due to the inordinately long time I spent in the saddle over the past 24 hours. Just wanted to say thanks again for such a wonderful ride to B-on-C. Special thanks to Ian and Martin for seeing me safely back to Dartford so selflessly this morning (I was, to put it bluntly, rather slower than them but they were very kind about it). I eventually got home to Brighton around 3.30, with a slow puncture and 115 miles on the clock - more than I've ridden for several years. It was great to meet some of you last night - looking forward to meeting more on future rides. Yes I'm hooked...just hope I can make the diary work).
Looking forward to seeing the piece in the mag. We're all getting free copies, right? :smile: See you soon, hopefully. Nice Croix de Fer by the way.

StuAff

Now, various Brompton owners have been posting things about their bikes, or folders in general, being hard work on climbs. I beg to differ. Brommies are a bit heavier than a lot of other bikes (folding, let alone fixed-frame), but there is no reason why small wheeled bikes can't climb just as well as anything else. Here is some photographic evidence...
DSC03131.JPG

This fine chap is Henrik, the previous owner of Chutney my Speed Pro TT (in the pic- well, with the original frame...). This photo was taken at the summit of the Col du Tourmalet, 2115 metres. He also climbed Hautacam and Luz Ardiden on it......

BromyG

Veteran
This is how Burnham on Crouch (above the second river, in the upper left part of the picture) looks from above, by the way. Right on top of the engine is Southend, another seasoned FNRttC destination.

southend.jpg

Awww - my house is just off the picture to the left

DSC03131.JPG

That's incredible, defies physics, how? But how?

I've done the Tourmalet but that was a long, long time ago on a Galaxy far away.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Speaking as someone who luxuriated in a warm bed under the influence of powerful anaesthetic all night, I'd like to say that I would rather have been on the ride.....
So would I. But I'm afraid that just for once I'd be lying.

StuAff

DSC03131.JPG

That's incredible, defies physics, how? But how?

I've done the Tourmalet but that was a long, long time ago on a Galaxy far away.
Actually, it's in full accordance with the laws of physics. Henrik is a big strong guy, but I think you meant the bike...
To explain:
Smaller wheels accelerate faster, even when they're the same weight as a larger one (lower moment of inertia). Smaller wheels don't benefit from the flywheel effect to the same extent, for that same reason, but it certainly helps on climbs. The rear wheel on Chutney is admittedly a bit of a lump, as it has a kilo of SRAM DualDrive hub in its centre (I'll come back to that). The front wheel, on the other hand weighs about 500g (no, that's not a typo...), which is on a par with ££££££ 700c wheels like Reynolds RZRs and Lightweights. With the 2008-spec steel frame as above, Chutney weighed 10.4 kg plus pedals all in, more than most higher-end road bikes but hardly a tank. The frame was replaced with a 2010 (now aluminium) version under warranty before Henrik sold it to me- weight now just under 10kg without pedals.

Then there's the gearing. 53t chainring with the 406 wheel size is about the same as the middle ring on a 700c bike with a triple, then there's the DD hub to take into account- 37% under and overdrive ratios, so that's the granny and big rings on a 700c. I think Henrik had the stock 11-26 cassette, which with those skinny 28mm tyres on equates to something like 27-120" gear range. I've got a 12-27 cassette on now, plus 40mm tyres, so a fraction lower top end.
Light bike+strong rider+very low gears= no problems col bagging :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom