FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 24th September to Southend-on-Sea 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I had difficulty explaining to friends – and myself – why I would want to ride or how I came to enjoy this. Best effort: like a good party but riding bikes instead of standing around.
I think we'll take that as a great compliment

Such fun. I hope to try Whitstable next month.
might be an idea to let me know reasonably soon if you do - I've been taken aback by the rush

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Quite liking the home footage of a young Jedi at 2:59 and a bit of soppyness at 3:02... bless... :smile:

Me too. I normally remember to shut the camera off when I get in, but got captured by Ted and headed out to the garden. Fresh batteries at Dartford meant it recorded for another 12 hours after I got in. I left the leading frames in, but an empty kitchen slowly getting darker doesn't really merit another 2 mins of footage. Was a nice counterpoint to the sunrise by the cafe though :smile:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Me too. I normally remember to shut the camera off when I get in, but got captured by Ted and headed out to the garden. Fresh batteries at Dartford meant it recorded for another 12 hours after I got in. I left the leading frames in, but an empty kitchen slowly getting darker doesn't really merit another 2 mins of footage. Was a nice counterpoint to the sunrise by the cafe though :smile:

Yes, that bit was just simply great!!

And a delightfully comfortable ride the Moulton is too. If Miki ever joins us you can compare and contrast with her Bike Friday Pocket Sport.

Many thanks for the very warm welcome, good company and conversation. (A particular thank-you to Christophe for the loan of his spare rear lamp.)

Most impressed with the standard of illumination. The rear lamps were everywhere hypnotic and, once beyond street lighting, in many cases actually blinding. I found that once I’d let Andy move up to let a car pass I was unable to approach his rear lamp until we’d reached street lighting again. And some of those front lamps – I must lift my game for night riding. The standard is clearly to convince motorists they’re approaching a motor bike. Or a plane making an emergency landing.

I had difficulty explaining to friends – and myself – why I would want to ride or how I came to enjoy this. Best effort: like a good party but riding bikes instead of standing around.

Such fun. I hope to try Whitstable next month.

Stephen

It was nice to meet you Stephen. Thanks to you and to Christophe for accompanying me and Pascoe back on the train - and also for the opportunity to try out a Brooks B17N *AND* sit on a Moulton!! Woohoo!

I won't make Whitstable next month as my knee surgery is that Saturday morning - another "Woohoo"! Been waiting a long time for this...

Have a great time, all.

sjt

Über Member
Spotted this evening climbing Haverstock Hill: HaloJ on her way home. Yes, that was me and the Bike Friday owner, on foot. And you clocked me too – nice one.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Spotted this evening climbing Haverstock Hill: HaloJ on her way home. Yes, that was me and the Bike Friday owner, on foot. And you clocked me too – nice one.

Hehe I said to Martok pretty much the same thing when I got home. Sorry I didn't stop I was pushing to get home for dinner. Haverstock is my preferred route home, very much looking forward to the finishing of the road works.

Abs

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm extraordinarly impressed. Wow!

It seems almost churlish to ask questions, but I wondered where the background map came from?

Super, Andy! My, you are a determined young man. ;)

arallsopp

I'm extraordinarly impressed. Wow!

It seems almost churlish to ask questions, but I wondered where the background map came from?

That's brilliant, Andy.
We'll expect that every time now of course!! :smile:

LOL. Thanks :biggrin:

There now follows a sufficiently roundabout answer to Dell's question to illustrate why I might not be doing this for every ride:smile:

How its done:

1: Ride to Southend and back with a GPS and timelapse cam taped to the boom, taking ISO400 shots at an interval of 45 secs.
2: Locate the 1000(+) images that are part of the ride.
3: Rotate each (camera is side mounted), then resample to 1280x780, padding to full frame left with black
4: Import to your video editor of choice, setting the duration of each still to ~2 frames. Check it.
5: Concatenate the GPS tracks using your GPX editor of choice and upload to ridewithgps.com (here's mine: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/111963) - This is the only free player I know that shows a real time ride, stopping and starting inline with the time signature on the GPS track.
6: Set the view mode of ridewithgps.com to 'terrain', speed to 32x, and play back the entire ride full screen.
7: Seven times a second, print screen to a file (use a screen grabber) to build a second array of stills showing the scrolling map.
8: Break the resulting files into folders for each journey leg (start > Woodgrange, Wood > Services, etc..)
9: Import each folder to a second track in your video editor of choice, setting the duration of each still to ~1 frame.
10: Shunt the second track so that the centre frame is approx 1/4 from the left hand edge.
11: Crop the right hand side of the second track so that it lays adjacent to the cam footage from track 1.
12: Use timestretch/resample on each leg until the start/ends match up
13: Apply an 'invert' action to the luminance channel of each 'night' frame in the second track. NB: You MUST use the luminance channel. If you apply on the (default) RGB channel, you will see purple parks and orange rivers. Luminance will flip the low white features to black, whilst retaining the colour information of the mids.
14: Find some music, resample to fit.
15: Export to an encoder, make sure nothing is blocking the fan, and walk away.
16: Play the exported file and realise the map is zoomed out too far to read at speed. Repeat steps 10,11 and 15 with a zoom factor applied to the second video track. Loop as necessary.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
LOL. Thanks :biggrin:

There now follows a sufficiently roundabout answer to Dell's question to illustrate why I might not be doing this for every ride:smile:

How its done:

1: Ride to Southend and back with a GPS and timelapse cam taped to the boom, taking ISO400 shots at an interval of 45 secs.
2: Locate the 1000(+) images that are part of the ride.
3: Rotate each (camera is side mounted), then resample to 1280x780, padding to full frame left with black
4: Import to your video editor of choice, setting the duration of each still to ~2 frames. Check it.
5: Concatenate the GPS tracks using your GPX editor of choice and upload to ridewithgps.com (here's mine: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/111963) - This is the only free player I know that shows a real time ride, stopping and starting inline with the time signature on the GPS track.
6: Set the view mode of ridewithgps.com to 'terrain', speed to 32x, and play back the entire ride full screen.
7: Seven times a second, print screen to a file (use a screen grabber) to build a second array of stills showing the scrolling map.
8: Break the resulting files into folders for each journey leg (start > Woodgrange, Wood > Services, etc..)
9: Import each folder to a second track in your video editor of choice, setting the duration of each still to ~1 frame.
10: Shunt the second track so that the centre frame is approx 1/4 from the left hand edge.
11: Crop the right hand side of the second track so that it lays adjacent to the cam footage from track 1.
12: Use timestretch/resample on each leg until the start/ends match up
13: Apply an 'invert' action to the luminance channel of each 'night' frame in the second track. NB: You MUST use the luminance channel. If you apply on the (default) RGB channel, you will see purple parks and orange rivers. Luminance will flip the low white features to black, whilst retaining the colour information of the mids.
14: Find some music, resample to fit.
15: Export to an encoder, make sure nothing is blocking the fan, and walk away.
16: Play the exported file and realise the map is zoomed out too far to read at speed. Repeat steps 10,11 and 15 with a zoom factor applied to the second video track. Loop as necessary.

17: Have a cup of tea

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Wow.

caps.jpg

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
So nothing that you couldn't reasonably expect a rocket scientist to automate with a script then.
my thoughts exactly.

We have another new entrant..........the Williams of the world can relax. They are no longer last amongst equals

arallsopp

So nothing that you couldn't reasonably expect a rocket scientist to automate with a script then.

Steps 3,4,7,8,9,13, and 15 were automated (no way I'm doing all that by hand), but getting a script to ride to Southend and back would have taken a lot of the fun out. :smile:

Top Bottom