FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 24th September to Southend-on-Sea 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Not a Moulton-a-like, it was a TSR30 (built by the Pashley factory in Stratford-upon-Avon, formerly sold as Pashley-Moultons, but now the Moulton Bicycle Company). Looked lovely.

Ah so it was, thanks Stu. I got confused as we were talking about Bike Friday folders.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
We had an interesting ride through the city and into Ilford with such wonderful highlights of a chav leaning fully out of the passenger window of a passing vehicle threatening some form of violence 2 against 50, um yeah.

…and the cheery couple somewhere in the East Ham region having a very loud effin' and blindin' barney in the street…

ChrisKH

Guru
Good ride as usual. Nice to meet 3BM at last, Raptochick and some others whose names escape me (apologies). I completely lost it on the ride back; combination of bad knees, headwind, poor fitness and a head cold meant I was well off the back of the returning London peleton (otherwise known as "Sig and the Arallsops") by Thundersley and had lost them completely on the descent of Bread & Cheese Hill so I gave in to the inevitable and crawled home to a hot bath and several large cups of tea. But I reasoned anyone who wanted to go back up the hill from Leigh station when you can turn right and cruise along Leigh hill top must be a bit mad anyway. ;)

Two hours sleep later and I was sitting in a hall full of expectant parents at the local (outstanding OFSTED) secondary school with Junior KH. The lights were on, but there was definitely nobody home.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Sorry didn't manage to say cheerio Chris. I didn't realise you had dropped off until we stopped for a *Martin Pooh* break.

redjedi

Über Member
Sorry we lost you Chris. I kept looking back to make sure you were still there, and when I noticed you were falling behind I was getting ready to stop, but the next time I looked you were no-where to be seen :sad: We assumed you had spotted a train station and taken your leave.

We'll make sure you get dragged all the way back to London next time :tongue:

Not a lot to add to the above. I'd wrapped up nicely, had pockets full of assorted spare tyres and CO[sub]2[/sub] canisters which weren't needed, and so I was just going along at the back, admiring the views.

Somewhere, possibly on the A118 before Ilford, I was amused by the sign for a firm of car washers, proclaiming that they were the best hand job in London.

The reduced numbers certainly made things flow more easily and by the time we got to J31, I was thinking unless there's a few architectural diversions thrown in, we'll be in Southend by 6 am. Some running repairs Andy and I did on the front wheel of Raptochic's loaner made for a quieter ride, but I think you need a degree in engineering to do a full service on that bike.

The miles went by, and it slowly got lighter. Although I'm not a massive fan of the Southend route being so urban, I do like the last 10 miles, especially the naughty use of the path along the sea front, past all the boats. I treated the new cycle path with the respect it deserved, by ignoring it, and cycling on the road.

There was an interesting trip home on the train, as there were 6 of us with bikes getting on at Southend which filled up the area both sides of the toilet. About 4 stops further on, 2 locals also got on with bikes who stood against the doors. A bit further on, a woman then got on with a shopping trolley the size of a Royal Mail hand cart who then promptly had a good rant about cyclists taking up all the room and threatened some sort of violence to the 6'6'' chap with a bike standing in the door way, which made him laugh. She'd banged the bikes to sit down though and very oddly, when we arrived at Fenchurch Street, I found the straps on one side of my helmet had come completely out of the clamp. I couldn't work out what had happened, so just strapped the helmet onto the bike, but later on worked out how to fit the straps back on properly, so it's all OK again. But it was very strange as they couldn't have pulled themselves out on their own, and the helmet had been swinging freely under the top tube of my bike.

I won't be on the Whitstable ride, as I'll be in South Africa, courtesy of a free holiday I won last year, so when I'm sunning myself in the heat, I'll raise a glass and think of you all.

ChrisKH

Guru
Sorry we lost you Chris. I kept looking back to make sure you were still there, and when I noticed you were falling behind I was getting ready to stop, but the next time I looked you were no-where to be seen :sad: We assumed you had spotted a train station and taken your leave.

We'll make sure you get dragged all the way back to London next time :tongue:

No problem red. I could see you looking and the temptation to stop and wait for Mrs KH who was shortly going to be passing in the opposite direction with junior KH for a piano lesson was too much. In the end I carried on but you had (quite rightly) kept going.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I always find it quite amazing how once we are out of London and enjoying the ride away from traffic, how peaceful and relaxing it all becomes. I completely forget about all the uncourtious numpties in their steel cages trying to do their best in causing an accident in runnign us off the road and their general shoddy driving. Its the SmrbtL that clicks that awarness back into action, but in the meantime, I love these rides with a passion thats slowly rubbing appreciation off onto friends, family and work colleagues. The freedom and joy during these rides really stirs the emotions and love I have for the two wheels. And its always with great thanks I am included on these rides.

So this ride was one of the most relaxing, peaceful and easy fnrttc-smrbtl-115 miles, ive done. Great respect goes to the organisation of such rides and this one went swimmingly. I spent most of my time for this ride doing a first for me, and that was "tec'ing" and floating near the back. Its a very differant ride there and one I am now very keen on. The pace was somewhat steady and constant with very little to do this time, maybe it was "beginers" luck that not much happened. But there is still great responsibility at the back and awareness and safety is at the forefront of the mind.

This may not be one of the prettiest rides, but it is still a great ride and the diversion at the end along the coast was just great. With resident snap-a-holics Aperitif and TC1 not in duty, I have snapped some photos and hopefully they will load up below. Please feel free to copy.

I always struggle to get going again after breakfast, with this being no exception especially with a 5min gap of the last bit of wholesome fry-up going down and setting off. And what is it about that were always having to go up hill first of all?? Please can this be changed? But the ride back was great with a good little number of 14 strong in the peleton. Like others, I didnt spot ChrisKH dropping off, so my apologies too.

Coming into London along the bright blue piece of tarmac was better than the road option for a few stretches and a first for me along a Boris lane. I also managed to view a bit more of London than normal due to HaloJ's now inclusion to fully fledged Garminator/Mouseketeer status, but it was not a problem and one I enjoyed, the full bladder didnt, but then again, when isnt it!! Lookmumnohands was also much better than expected and the frosted toby mug topped of my appreciaton for this place. Me and Luke got a bit tipsy and deliberated on a London CC pre-Crimbo night out? No lycra or bikes included.. On turning into the road for LMNH's I spotted a ghost bike. Am always quite reflective when such a sight is seen as its not something I see often and just shows how quickly the lights can be snuffed out. Attached to the ghost bike was a laminated A4 sheet with "remember me", I think on. Very poinent. Am sure I can remember the incident too.

Anyhow, big thanks again to all and see you all on the next one, my fav, Whitstable!

PS. Just remembered, well done to the two one-ton-uppers!

This was my first FNRttC and it was great. On leaving HPC I witnessed Simon being called a "nob" by a chav in a old banger which I thought was a little harsh but did make me giggle! Cycling through unfamiliar parts of London was interesting and the sunrise at Southend was lovely. Letting the handbrake off and stretching the legs occasionally was fun, although I started to regret it on the way back!

The ride back was quite a challenge (55 miles was my longest ride at that point), especially as I had been freezing cold ever since the top of the hill coming into Southend (my plan not to get sweaty to stop myself getting cold failed at this point!) despite a rucksack full of layers (and brownies and sloe gin!
rolleyes.gif
). At times I didn't think I was going to make it back to London by my own steam but thanks to some awesome company, a remaining brownie and a tracker bar kindly donated by Abby I kept the fairies at bay and made it to Look Mum No Hands to celebrate my first 100miles with a nice cold Aspel Cyder and a pie!

Look Mum's to home in Hampstead was hellish, the cold bath was appreciated and the following 15 hours of sleep wasn't enough! Wouldn't have changed a thing though . . . . . . apart from ripping the arse out of my trousers on the way out and falling off my bike into a pile of horse shoot on the way back!!!
ah.gif

frank9755

Cyclist
falling off my bike into a pile of horse shoot on the way back!!!
ah.gif

I was right behind Becs at this point and have to say that the fall was taken completely in her stride with none of the fuss which could accompany such a sticky landing. When it was pointed out to what she had tumbled into in her response was a very cool - "Oh, I'm used to it: I'm a horse vet!"

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Thanks again to all for a fantastic ride. The weather was good, the company inspiring, the conversations easy. Lots of new faces, and some on old names which is nice.

Many memories, all of them buried the wrong side of a sleep deprived brain, but I'm sure the psychiatrist that gets to regress me will have a wonderful time digging them out. Good news for youtubers. The cam stayed alive the entire ride so there's every chance you'll catch a glimpse of your rear light once I get things edited.

Unfortunately the 40 second interval was just too long to catch Becs taking her lucky dip. Damn. :biggrin:

I always find it quite amazing how once we are out of London and enjoying the ride away from traffic, how peaceful and relaxing it all becomes. I completely forget about all...
...awarness back into action, but in the meantime, I love these rides with a passion thats slowly rubbing appreciation off onto friends, family and work colleagues. The freedom and joy during these rides really stirs the emotions and love I have for the two wheels. And its always with great thanks I am included on these rides.

Wow! Swallow a poetry book or something Davy? :biggrin: Photos no-show so far! Well done for taking them though...;) See you soon.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Wow! Swallow a poetry book or something Davy? :biggrin: Photos no-show so far! Well done for taking them though...;) See you soon.

Hehe, I can showed my semi-educated side off every so often.. ;)

And yes, I am having problems uploading, can I email these to someone to try out??

Top Bottom