FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 24th September to Southend-on-Sea 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At 05:15 this morning, in High street, NW London, my external thermometer was indicating 4.8 degrees :cold:
I can imagine how steamy the Rose Cafe is at the moment!

Warmth, tea, coffee and toast for me.
And you lot? I hope you all had an exhilarating ride.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
a really good night out. Cold crisp air, a following breeze, quiet tarmac, and, far and away the most important, lovely people. I tried to set an easy pace and the ride held together remarkably well - reaching Junction 31 before 3 despite a half-hour toilet break in Woodgrange Park. Junctions were marked in the trademark FNRttC easy style, and I doubt anybody had to wait more than ten minutes throughout the night. Why, there was barely time for my little (albeit continually interrupted) lecturette on Norman ecclesiastical architecture!

With Father Christmas on our side we got our pre-Christmas wish - a pootle down the 'cinder path' from Old Leigh to the seafront at Chalkwell. The rising sun lit up the skyline and even gave the mud a happy sheen, the breeze rattled the rigging on the boats, and the smell of fish and salt charmed our noses.

And, if I may say so, the Radio Station was in superb fettle http://www.chcpropertyservices.co.uk/propertyservices/portfolio_radiostation.htm

TimO

Guru
As Simon said, it was a remarkably unremarkable nights ride. Everything seemed to work, we barely had any mechanical issues, and those mostly dealt with indoors, the fairy managed to avoid any visits on the ride proper, and the weather was excellent. User10571 did get a little more exercise than he bargained for, chasing down one errant rider, but otherwise faultless waymarking and leading.

Thanks to the couple who got me pointed in the right direction towards London Bridge Station. I would have got there eventually, but with their aid I got there somewhat faster, and managed to see Tower Bridge open, which was a first for me. :smile:

On my return, I expected to find a slightly miffed cat, waiting for his late breakfast and to be let out, but someone, after over a month of nightly incarceration, had finally worked out how to unblock his cat flap. I think some re-engineering is going to be undertaken shortly!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Another splendid evening, and what an excellent experience for all the newbies- the perfect FNRttC advert, apart from the nip in the air. Pleasure to meet Becs, Martok et al. I was grateful for all the layers! It was indeed lovely to see 'Santa', forgot to ask him for a Viner Maxima RS
wink.gif
. Pippa's wheels were very nice, worthy reward for recent efforts! And perhaps this was the light to the relative dark of the last Southend run- everything seemed to run so smoothly. Abi's somewhat bizarre attempt at finding a new route notwithstanding! No waymarking for me this time, others proved remarkably adept at getting there before me. Managed to take a slight detour between Fenchurch Street and Waterloo (diversion temporarily addled my brain I think), but mileage is all good.

Lovely sunrise, splendid company, excellent cake...what more could one want?Donations to Pedal to Paris? Yup, thanks Sig (money's gone in already). Feel free to take the hint if you haven't already...
Pompey win? That too...

Raptochic, that bike's as mad as a box of frogs. I think I used the word 'lethal' to describe it, rather you than me...good luck with it!

Another splendid evening, and what an excellent experience for all the newbies- the perfect FNRttC advert, apart from the nip in the air. Pleasure to meet Becs, Martok et al. I was grateful for all the layers! It was indeed lovely to see 'Santa', forgot to ask him for a Viner Maxima RS
wink.gif
. Pippa's wheels were very nice, worthy reward for recent efforts! And perhaps this was the light to the relative dark of the last Southend run- everything seemed to run so smoothly. Abi's somewhat bizarre attempt at finding a new route notwithstanding! No waymarking for me this time, others proved remarkably adept at getting there before me. Managed to take a slight detour between Fenchurch Street and Waterloo (diversion temporarily addled my brain I think), but mileage is all good.

Lovely sunrise, splendid company, excellent cake...what more could one want?Donations to Pedal to Paris? Yup, thanks Sig (money's gone in already). Feel free to take the hint if you haven't already...
Pompey win? That too...

Raptochic, that bike's as mad as a box of frogs. I think I used the word 'lethal' to describe it, rather you than me...good luck with it!

It was a great ride - many big thanks (again) for spectacular technical analysis (whilst on the move!) and repair on front wheel barings - and for front light alert (I had two with me but both failed) and for all the encouragement and support from everyone which began at the beginning and continued right to the very end. It is scary but true to say that if StuAff thought my Raptobike "was lethal" - he should have seen me on the Lee Valley Fly over about three weeks ago. (Best not dwell on that) And there I was thinking I had improved...! Determination is within and I am going to carrying on trying to keep the box of frogs under control!! Thank you Thank you - I am still grinning from ear to ear. R

StuAff

It is scary but true to say that if StuAff thought my Raptobike "was lethal" - he should have seen me on the Lee Valley Fly over about three weeks ago. (Best not dwell on that) And there I was thinking I had improved...! Determination is within and I am going to carrying on trying to keep the box of frogs under control!! Thank you Thank you - I am still grinning from ear to ear. R
Oh yes, you did mention it...sure you'll get the hang of the box!

Oh yes, you did mention it...sure you'll get the hang of the box!

cool - and hopefully sooner rather than later. Practise Practise Practise - which I am!

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Thank you all for this great ride. Unfortunately I had to leave early in Southend because I had to work this afternoon. :sad:
For me the most bizarre scence of the night was when User10571 apologized to me for shouting at me after he had prevented me following the errant rider. :biggrin: What a gentleman! Thanks again, User10571.

Well, sadly, this is it for me with regard to night rides in 2010. Unfortunately I won't be able to do the ones in October and November. However, I'm already looking forward to 2011.

Let me close with a more general note: I was introduced to the FNRttC's this February (I discoverd the rides thanks to a rather cryptic comment by Andy Allsopp in a thread where I introduced myself in the recumbent section - special thanks for this, Andy) I'm hooked ever since. Thank you all for the warm welcome, the friendliness and the great company. Thank you, Simon, for taking the incredibile effort which is necessary to organize those rise.
See you guys soon
Olaf

StuAff

Thank you all for this great ride. Unfortunately I had to leave early in Southend because I had to work this afternoon. :sad:
For me the most bizarre scence of the night was when User10571 apologized to me for shouting at me after he had prevented me following the errant rider. :biggrin: What a gentleman! Thanks again, User10571.

Well, sadly, this is it for me with regard to night rides in 2010. Unfortunately I won't be able to do the ones in October and November. However, I'm already looking forward to 2011.

Let me close with a more general note: I was introduced to the FNRttC's this February (I discoverd the rides thanks to a rather cryptic comment by Andy Allsopp in a thread where I introduced myself in the recumbent section - special thanks for this, Andy) I'm hooked ever since. Thank you all for the warm welcome, the friendliness and the great company. Thank you, Simon, for taking the incredibile effort which is necessary to organize those rise.
See you guys soon
Olaf

Looking forward to it!

martint235

Dog on a bike
It was a great ride - many big thanks (again) for spectacular technical analysis (whilst on the move!) and repair on front wheel barings - and for front light alert (I had two with me but both failed) and for all the encouragement and support from everyone which began at the beginning and continued right to the very end. It is scary but true to say that if StuAff thought my Raptobike "was lethal" - he should have seen me on the Lee Valley Fly over about three weeks ago. (Best not dwell on that) And there I was thinking I had improved...! Determination is within and I am going to carrying on trying to keep the box of frogs under control!! Thank you Thank you - I am still grinning from ear to ear. R

Well done on your first FNRttC. You certainly seemed to enjoy it. Face it, it's only a matter of time before you join the Elite, SMRbtH

tongue.gif

zigzag

Veteran
excellent ride and organisation as ever, only without riding back this time it somehow seems.. incomplete :smile:

Top Bottom