FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 28th May - Whitstable 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Aperitif said:
So sorry you two.:rolleyes:
I thought you were moving trainwards from Victoria.
Damn, I'm p d off about that now because I went into work via there and even stopped for a 'sharpener' of the coffee kind in Hyde Park - at our favourite stoppery on a Sunday.
Flippin' 'eck - that's bad of me. :smile: :biggrin:

Not to worry - I thought you were heading off for a train yourself. None of us were at our sharpest and it never even occurred to me to ask. Doh! I feel guilty for fooling Jan with my delusions of navigational competence! :sad:

theclaud said:
Oh no! I haven't spoken to Dr Evil* since - I will find out what became of him. My last words to him were "find out what route Alan recommends... and then take any one but that..." :hyper:

He's Jan with a "J", by the way...

Let me know how he got on getting back to Paddington. I may need to add some words of advice myself: "go the opposite way from me and you'll be fine!" :smile:

theclaud said:
Yes - we were indeed thoroughly yinyanged. I'd like it noted that I was not the first at the bar.

Thanks all. Great ride and delightful company. I had a whale of a time again, and was delighted that Meg and Gareth managed to join us for this one (I've been attempting to lure them in for a while now). Whitstable is a fairly full-on ride for a first FNRttC, and I thought they pulled it off with considerable panache. The Stoichkov thing sparked a bit of a man-love moment for Simon and Gareth, but then Meg and The Babe are both broad-minded sorts... :rolleyes:

A bonus point for anyone who can tell me where this (taken yesterday afternoon) is, and what on earth it has to do with the great Tanganyika Groundnut Scandal:

Baillie Vass' old house? Erm, I'll try Camberley environs...

rich p

ridiculous old lush
According to Wiki the odd steeple on St Mary the Virgin, Upchurch, is known as a 'candle snuffer' for obvious reasons.

The church is also notable for its very unusual 'candle-snuffer' steeple: an octagonal pyramid appears to have been stacked on top of a square one as if they were a couple of inverted ice-cream cones

No mention of the snuffer being added due to an excess of timber, so I would guess it's contemporary with the rest.

dasclarks

our first fnrttc

A fantastic ride, amazingly well organised and lots of fun. There are so many memories of the night that are still sorting themselves into some sort of order but the sprint out of London and the apparent wonderment and bizarre commentary by pedestrians was priceless. I felt totally uncertain at the start as to how this would pan out but early interventions of the excellent wayfarers made this initial confusion disappear rapidly and the unity of this large group was clear. We are very grateful for the excellent support and organisation of all those who sprinted tirelessly to lead us masses and to the regular(ish) catch up stops that were always reassuring to us first timers. A wonderful ride, lovely scenery and very good company.....although our conversation pace is very different to others in the group and my early chat may have sounded breathless or mono-syllabic.
However the big challenge for us was leaving the Waterfront with out that "last one for the road" and very glad we were too as the previous "last pints" were taking their toll. Nonetheless many thanks for a fine start to a Saturday, for the appreciation of Bulgarian genius, for the pictures of the Clarks warm down technique and the general good vibe throughout. We will definitely be signing up to another although not the next due to work, but Bognor looks good.
Nice One!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
dasclarks said:
A fantastic ride, amazingly well organised and lots of fun. There are so many memories of the night that are still sorting themselves into some sort of order but the sprint out of London and the apparent wonderment and bizarre commentary by pedestrians was priceless. I felt totally uncertain at the start as to how this would pan out but early interventions of the excellent wayfarers made this initial confusion disappear rapidly and the unity of this large group was clear. We are very grateful for the excellent support and organisation of all those who sprinted tirelessly to lead us masses and to the regular(ish) catch up stops that were always reassuring to us first timers. A wonderful ride, lovely scenery and very good company.....although our conversation pace is very different to others in the group and my early chat may have sounded breathless or mono-syllabic.
However the big challenge for us was leaving the Waterfront with out that "last one for the road" and very glad we were too as the previous "last pints" were taking their toll. Nonetheless many thanks for a fine start to a Saturday, for the appreciation of Bulgarian genius, for the pictures of the Clarks warm down technique and the general good vibe throughout. We will definitely be signing up to another although not the next due to work, but Bognor looks good.
Nice One!
Splendid! It'll be great to see you back.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Aperitif said:
The Covent Garden guided tour 'a la Alan' would have been a top recommendation.:angry:
Please apologise to Jan - I would have led both back to their stations - no problem.:smile:

McWobble said:
I feel guilty for fooling Jan with my delusions of navigational competence! :biggrin: Let me know how he got on getting back to Paddington. I may need to add some words of advice myself: "go the opposite way from me and you'll be fine!" :smile:

Ha! He made it. Only 1hr 15 from Victoria to Paddington :sad:. It could have been longer if he hadn't decided to break from the guided tour...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just had word from Rimas.
Both he and his friend cycled back home, with his friend cycling all the way back to Cambridge. 400km's. :thumbsup: :sad:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
ianrauk said:
Both he and his friend cycled back home, with his friend cycling all the way back to Cambridge. 400km's. :thumbsup: :sad:

Blimey. Nutters. Did we forget to tell you lot that the bar was about to open, or what? :biggrin:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
ianrauk said:
Aren't they both LELers?
Did any of you notice that Werner was riding fixed? He's another 600km before breakfast man.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Flying Dodo said:
Ta. :biggrin:

One of the highlights of the night was being allowed to touch your fabled silver speed machine. Poetry in motion.

Why, thank you, Mr Dodo! Several gallant gentlemen were kind enough to remark approvingly on its shininess. :angry:

Have a great birthday!

Top Bottom