FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 14th October 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
While we're on the subject of introducing the TECs to the potential waymarkers at the start, TECs may wish to note that some of us identify them by their clothes/bike/helmet not by their face and if they decide to add or remove layers after they have been presented at court they should probably be especially ebullient then approaching waymarkers who may as a result no longer recognise them.

But we really are talking about marginal gains here. The system works as it is, let's not turn it from a contribution into a chore
sounds like a job for DavyWalnutWhips!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
As a very occasional Wayfinder, and probably someone who has got a lot more out of FNRttC than has put into it, let my offer my two cents.

I find that because I'm generally pottering along and am not the quickest by any means, that it's very rare that I get an opportunity to act as a Wayfinder, because I keep getting over taken by the super fast boys racing to the front to do their stint again. Which is nice, but does leave me feeling a tad selfish, especially as the point is Wayfinders don't have to be super fast, they just have to be reasonably fast so that they don't end up slowing the tail down. And if I really want to be back at the front, I can always wait until the ride collects itself together again

I also suspect that as I've only done 5 or so of the rides that when there is an opportunity people pick someone else who they recognise more. again not an issue but it does put the pressure on the same old people. On the flipside of course, you want to appoint someone that understands the system, so it's easier and safer to go with someone you know.

Re TECs, as someone who broke a spoke on their first ride, and watched in amazement at the speed and efficiency of the repair, I'll freely admit to being in awe of the skills they possess. At the same time though, the skills of using a mobile phone or holding a light are slightly less awe-inspiring and maybe there is a role for relative technical novices to get involved on the communication/lighting side even if only to allow the proper TECs to focus on the real issue. I'd be more than happy to volunteer for that aspect, especially as I'd probably learn a lot.

I suppose what I'm really saying is that we currently seem to be using a gold plated solution, when actually by defining the roles a bit more, we could widen the pool of suitable people, and involve free loaders like myself
that's what the new page really sets out to establish. You can do a great job handing over tyre levers, an inner tube, holding a light, sending people on, making a phone call, gathering up stuff and pushing the puncturee back on to his or her bike (they sometimes go through an elaborate and confused packing routine when, actually, all they need is for everything to be stuffed in to somebody's back pocket so it can be sorted out later). When I TEC I tend not to get my hands too dirty - there are people who do a better job than me. I simply run around being a teensy bit bossy. These days, of course, I'm second best at that.........

Customer feedback time:

Food prices: too high, too low, about right?

Food choice: too much, too little, about right?

Pricing: too high, too low, about right?

Was the hut too cold?

I don't know how anyone could complain. It was a wonderful respite. As for the hut being too cold, that could only apply to staff! Chatting to Anna, she said it was very chilly, until we all arrived, then with 100 warm bodies the temperature rose noticably to her great relief!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1534269 said:
Is there any correlation between ebullience amongst the TECs and grumpiness amongst the waymarkers?
we have some really efficient wayfinders who are not so much ebullient as supersuave. They do a junction, and then, in spookily short order, arrive at my elbow with one eyebrow slightly cocked, and not at all out of breath. I used to go to the back more than I do now (and I intend to do that more often) but my problem was that I'd be sharing a junction with DanB and then very nearly dying as I got a tow back to the front.

Having said that, you don't have to be a speedster to be a Wayfinder - it's just that the speedsters get picked on more often. The Wages of Youth and Vigour.

Forget the greenhouses. I thought the new route was fab, and the Hatlers' new coffee-stop perfect. A run-up is neither here nor there with that kind of hill, so a shot of caffeine and straight in is exactly the way to do it. The soul-destroying run-up has always been much worse than the actual climb.

Absolutely spot-on. If someone doesn't fancy going straight up, one can presumably head in the opposite direction until a distance deemed sufficient as a run-up, perform a 180 turn and then go at it !!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A couple of pictures if I've done this right:

IMAG0045.jpg

Great Photos! Please tell me, did Susie rode all the way up the Beacon?

We actually had a moment like that User10571. Having descended Reigate Hill, I stopped to fish my gloves out of the panniers, and so set off pretty much on the back of the ride. The massed TECs were just behind me, having stopped to fix another of those mechanicals that only springs up when the group moves on.

I stopped alongside a static User13710, who was waiting to retrieve an errant rear light from the tarmac. We set off together behind the group but ahead of the TECs, only to find a big crossroads with no marker. Having eyed up all directions, we saw tail lights disappearing to the left, so I sent her on in pursuit. I hung back to point the way, just incase the TECs diagnosed a bigger problem and sent someone unfamiliar up the ride to advise the waymarkers.

It didn't seem to be uncommon for friends to stop together when one had a mechanical. The TECs would be acting correctly if they moved a slow rider on whilst they fixed a problem with the other's bike. If there is no certainty of a marker on the route ahead, that solo rider might well end up lost.

Andy.
I hold my hands up. I was at the crossroads, the ride came through in one continuous snake for what seemed like several minutes and a voice at the end of the line called that's the lot , i asked are you the last and got a reply of "yes that's the lot". By the time i was back on the bent the lights were almost out of sight, i rolled back took a quick look back up the road and saw nothing so carried on.
I wasn't sure who was tec ing by that time of the morning and having only set off from the lay by no more than 2 mins before the crossroads i had no reason to question the two voices at the back.
Sorry for any problems caused and you can shoot me at dawn(whoever does this will have to look after Red though).

Anyway, apart from that really enjoyed the ride, the new approach to the beacon was a pleasant change to the boring straight road, even though i was flat no 9 i think. I had the tyre off tube changed tyre back on and just about fully inflated by the time the tecs arrived.
Fantastic views from the top and some great pics by everyone.

Thanks all for another great night and the Scouts for very welcome refreshments.

See you all soon. (not the next one. Horse sitting).

hatler

Guru
What else to add ?

It was cold. It was fun. It was beautiful.

A lot colder than anyone predicted. I thought I would be fine with a thin s/s top and a windproof fleece, and gloves and a buff, in reserve, just in case. At the last minute I chucked into my pannier a fleece l/s top, thank god for that. Loading was slightly compromised by my omitting to include Mrs hatler's weekend bag in the car packing list, so as I flumped into bed at 8.30 for a quick 90 minutes shut eye, I was a little depressed to see the bag on the bed. This meant I had an extra pannier to lug to Streat.

To Victoria to meet the Blackberry Wood Gang (Tim, Paul and Andrew - all first-timers) and everyone else.

Glorious cloud free sky. Moon and stars, visible even in central London.

And off. Cycle cycle stop. Cycle stop. Stop stop stop. Cycle stop. Unbelievably strong smell of ganja in the back streets of Balham. Cycle stop cycle stop. Reigate Hill. I was expecting to be really really cold at the end of the descent, but the joy overcame all feelings of numb toes and shivery body.

Scout hut. Phew. A chance to warm up a bit.

(Tim,
Prices were bang on.
It was warmer in there than outside.
Sarnies and cake hit the spot.
Tea was hot and wet.)

At the bottom of Slugwash I hared off to Blackberry Wood to collect the coffee and round up the troops, slowing only at the top end of Hundred Acre Lane to take a photo of the slowly reddening sky. I was working too hard to realise how cold it was. Troops were all up and raring to go (Mrs hatler's and little Miss hatler's first ever FNRttC). Content of Mrs hatler's weekend bag swapped for three thermoses of coffee. Troops despatched on the grounds that the main body of the ride would swallow them up if they hung about too long.

6255026345_7ddc643827.jpg

6255028281_33eb0b8d58.jpg

Underway again as the ride arrived and I faffed a bit so had to work my way to the front to catch small-hatler who was doing his best to lead the breakaway to the bottom of the Beacon, and I wanted to get to the coffee stop first to have the coffee ready to go as people arrived.

Whoever said Underhill Lane rocks has it right. It's beautiful.

Coffee stop. I think we got round everyone who wanted one, sorry if we didn't.

Small-hatler was released from coffee duties (he hates being the last one up the hill), as was Mrs hatler. I cleared up and then set off with Little Miss hatler, for her first attempt on the Beacon on a bike she has only ridden round the campsite before. I stuck with her all the way up. She stopped a lot, but didn't walk a single step. And when she was going she wasn't hanging about.

By the time we got to the top there were still a few people left (I wasn't expecting anyone to still be there other than the other hatlers) including Simon (bless him).

6255578496_413865fe41.jpg

6255580620_9322d93802.jpg

Then downhill (let's forget about the golf course bit) with the gravitational pull of the Madeira driving us on ever faster. Simon took Small hatler under his wing and the two of them pulled away from us (I had to assist Little Miss up the golf course slope).

Little Miss cycled admirably and wasn't phased by the traffic in town at all and followed instructions to the letter. She was not unreasonably ecstatic to have done the ride and was very proud of having properly earned her Fridays jersey.

And how the sun shone at the Madeira. Bones were warmed and layers were cast off. Teas and Full Fat English breakfasts were wolfed down. Greg was the fantastically genial host (as ever). It was a shame to drag ourselves away but we had a fairly full day's programme still ahead of us.

When asked if they would do it again, the Blackberry Gang replied thus : -

Andrew "Yes, but I'd wear more clothes next time."
Paul "God yes. It was fabulous."
Tim "Hmmmm. Not sure, because it couldn't possibly be so perfect next time."

I'd love for us all to be able to do the same next year.

Full set of pics here.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hats off to all the Hatlers. I saw Small Hatler hurtling down the hill a few yards in front of Simon on the way to The Madeira as I came out of a shop. Did anybody catch Miss H on video? She had the biggest grin in the world as she got to the top of Ditchling at warp speed.

BTW, how do you stop your camera from fogging up when you take it out to take a pic in the cold light of dawn, or in a Scout Hut? Stash it in a freezer bag with silica gel? I guess the fog stayed on from condensation ( cold to moist warm) at the Hut.

Thanks to everyone.

hatler

Guru
BTW, how do you stop your camera from fogging up when you take it out to take a pic in the cold light of dawn, or in a Scout Hut? Stash it in a freezer bag with silica gel? I guess the fog stayed on from condensation ( cold to moist warm) at the Hut.

Keep it as close to your body as possible so that it stays warm. Then you don't get condensation on the lens.

Wobblers

Euthermic
That was fun. Even if it was an inauspicious start - I only just managed to get to HPC at the stroke of midnight, then a kerb unaccountably got in the way at Clapham Common (*crash* *crash*). Just after, I noticed the front tyre was a little soft. Sigh. After my ham-fisted attempts to get the tyre off, I recruited TimO, who whipped it off in a jiffy! New inner tube, inflated, back on the bike and... "Your back tyre looks flat". Aaargh! At least me trying to replace the back wheel the wrong way round supplied some amusement... :blush:

After that, things looked up: the stars and moon were bright, the predawn mist was surreal, the blast down Lonesome Lane was sublime. The halfway stop - wonderful. No complaints here at all. And such cake! For only 50p! I went back for seconds. And thirds.

It was something of a cold shock leaving the scout hall: I don't think any of us expected it to get so cold. But the view from the top of Ditchling was Worth It.

The new route to Ditchling is a joy - so much nicer than going through the village. And Hatler doling out hot coffee at the end: thank you, that was very much appreciated. You only get that sort of thing on a FNRttC. Which is why I keep coming back for more.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'm sure I saw Arallsop doing something very similar albeit dressed in ninja black at the junction where Vicarage Lane crosses the A23 and becomes Victoria Road in Horley. The occasion being, I think, the second Martlets ride.

Ninja black, yes, but waving torches in each hand. Still, a freakishly accurate recreation of the particular moves employed that night.

My routine had evolved to find a happy zenith where the attention of cyclists was attracted with the same ferocity that drunkards and revellers were discouraged from approaching the loon.

Andy.

Wobblers

Euthermic
On of the things that really impressed me on my first FNRttC was the TECs and wayfinders. I have all the sense of direction of a small stone and was cycling down unknown roads in the middle of the night - but never once was I worried about getting lost. It's difficult to overstate the confidence generated by seeing someone at a junction pointing the way.

You don't really need any skill to be a wayfinder - just be able to attract people's attention. I took to standing in the middle of the junction waving a light around telling everyone to turn right on the Martlets and it worked quite well. I forgot to do that when I was marking the first junction after the Edifice - with the result that Clarion shot straight through. Whoops, sorry about that! I'll remember to shout instructions in future.

and maybe asking people to accept help from passing riders rather than give it the old 'I'm fine' when it is obvious fine has left the building and another word beginning with F has arrived in its place.
That's a good point - often wayfinders moving up from the back are likely to lend a hand like this but sometimes its worth reminding people.
I think the point is to keep learning. At the end of the day the ride went really well, particularly given the coldness and relatively high deflation incidents. Feedback here is about ongoing marginal gains in efficiency.
Apologies for the "At the end of the day" cliche, perhaps more apt would be "At the Madeira breakfast counter"...

This. Wayfinders returning to the front are in an excellent position to lend assistance, even if it's just hold a light or tyre levers (which can make a big difference). A more serious issue could be phoned through to Dell with a request for one of the TECs to go forward to help if necessary.

Top Bottom