FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton July 15th 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

What larks!

Good to see two more tandems on the ride, although keen students will note that Mrs. Hall bailed at the scout hut into a pre positioned motor, from which emerged the Pink Magenta bike.

I'm really pleased Derek and his crew had the catering so well sorted. Sorry Teef, I'll try to arrange a host of young Scouts to wash your bike next time.

The round of applause as Frank opened his wallet was marvellous. Or was it to thank the caterers? It was hard to tell.

Relatively few mechanicals, although the dropout failure on the gorgeous bamboo tourer was almost a show stopper.

The route variation introduced just after the Scout hut was, umm, interesting. We were in my neck of the woods, so tried to remonstrate with Stu, but he was just following orders. The sea of red lights in front of us got whiter and whiter as the "about turn" was carried out. We legged it to the correct turn to give helpful wayfinding advice.

The coffee at the greenhouses was just the thing, and watching mini-Hatler beat the old man to the top of the beacon was a Good Thing too. The weather was a bit character forming by then and as soon as Team Bamboo was together we made determined progress into Brighton, to be thwarted by his Leggness getting a puncture. The replacement tube had a hole in it too (or was it caused by the original fault?) but finally a full breakfast plus mushrooms was inside me. I made a quick departure for the station and shivered my way home.

Star chart is here

biondino

Thanks so much to everyone for organising another beautifully run ride. Although my shoes are still festering in the kitchen (how DO you get ride of that "been wet" smell?) I'm pretty much back to normal after the kind of blissful daytime sleep that only a night ride can provide.

My personal highlight were some yout' crying "he gotta Focus ting!" as I rode past. Obviously a fan of precision German engineering. Actually, who am I kidding - my highlight was not being overtaken up the beacon. Though I almost cooked myself - I wish I'd never been told about the horse sign as I started looking for it, increasingly desperately, around every corner, my self-confidence taking a knock whenever it wasn't there.

That weather on the drag into Brighton was kind of brutally magnificent, but made riding just too hard to enjoy, so I was glad that the more apocalyptic forecasts didn't come true. Thank god it was more or less warm, and for once, the marinating qualities of the lightweight waterproof were actually quite appreciated, in a wetsuit kind of way.

I'm 90% sure I'll have to miss the Bognor ride but very much looking forward to seeing you all soon.

sjt

Über Member
Newbie Veronique rode with us. Her eyes had lit up at stories of the Brighton and Bognor runs this year, even though, as an urban cyclist, 3 miles seemed a longish ride.

Ian, Joc and I met her for our usual pre-ride coffees at Bar Italia in Soho. Warm with memories of moonlit summer runs, and remorseful at having pulled out of Whitstable, we thought a few showers would not pose a problem for her rainjacket and jeans. Her beloved upright Koga-Miyata but is lighter and stiffer than it looks. She feared the ride would be too tough for her but -- only one way to find out.

She was slow, but not always the last in to the stops. Riding with her well below my habitual speed, I discovered how meditative the ride can be. By teatime it was clear the ride was tougher for her than she had feared. She reported this with a big grin, that Ian & I were finding more and more scary. What revenge was she contemplating?

She rode up Ditchling Beacon. Not technology, not training. Just character.

And was rewarded with a 10-mile horizontal shower. Arrived at the Madeira, dripping wet and shivering, still with the scary grin. I didn't think French people could eat English breakfasts. Rarely seen one disappear so fast.

Many thanks to Simon, the patient back markers, and all who rode along with encouraging remarks.

I think she had a good time. And hope she is not plotting revenge. Big hand for Vero Fou.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
home, and warm.

It was pretty much as Stuart described it - although he didn't mention that we lost 40 minutes getting to Chipstead because one of the riders was having a hard time, and, eventually, opted for a taxi home.

from that point on we kept a comfortable pace, and allowing the ride to spread out from Reigate proved to be a clever move - the queue at the Scout Hut was minimal. Once again, thanks to Tim H for making that happen - and thanks, Miranda, for the trick with the milk and sugar.

I travelled down Lonesome Lane side by side with ThomF (his afterburners switched well and truly off, which was nice of him) and we took the wet bends with some style and a little luck. It was a delight, as was the stretch between Horley proper and the Scout Hut, which was a tarmac alternative to the wetter perils of The Badlands. I took last the last wayfinding station before the Scout Hut, and there was a spring in the pedal of the riders when they came by,

Since nobody's going to mention this, I'm going to have to. I took a wrong turn, taking the entire ride up a dead end for about 600 yards. Complete embarrassment or what! The Pikemobile had to execute a seven point turn to get back to terra cognito. The darkness concealed my crimson cheeks, and my friends contented themselves with remarks like 'it's been coming for some time - the signs have been there'.

We went over Turners Hill, down through Lindfield and Slugwash Lane in fine style. Veronique deserves a special mention for sticking to the task of propelling an antiquated ladies bike along wearing all the wrong kit - real Spirit of Jerome Roy stuff. She even conquered Ditchling, although my heart was fully occupied with Susie's blazing (and Fab Foodie inspired) ascent - a first.

I spent about 45 minutes at the top of the Beacon. It wasn't fun, but it was worthwhile, just to witness the happy (well, almost happy) throng make the top, and to shoosh them off toward Brighton. Teef and Adrian laboured heroically to fix one of the two bamboo bikes, and when they emerged from the mist I turned southwards. And punctured. Which was, by my reckoning, one of only three punctures on the road. Thanks to Tim and Adrian sticking around and helping out when they must have been aching for a Full English.

So, we three arrived just as most of the stellar cast were leaving - but, gathered inside the Madeira (it was too cold to stay outside) we laughed as we always do, and power-napped from time to time. Adrian took us round to his seaside place to dry off, and, when train times beckoned, we made our way through the gale to the station.

Good to see Andrew A back amongst us. And sorry to hear about your off, Frank and Rimas. Get better soon.

the 'puncture' turns out to be a tear in a brand new GP4Seasons tyre - thankyou Brighton and Hove-actually City Council.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
http://www.flickr.com/photos/29651652@N06/sets/72157627088923419/

some pictures here, all public, and if you have trouble downloading one of yourself, PM me and I'll sort it.

To sum up: once again a damned good night out. I particularly liked the character-forming final 10 miles, of which the highlight was - by pure good luck - passing a huge puddle just as a white van was coming the other way. How fortunate I was! A vast sheet of water engulfed me and even splattered my face. How cold was that water! How I laughed!
A useful piece of gear advice: Sealskin socks ARE waterproof. I know this. When water drips down your leggings inside the socks, it cannot get out and stays there until you get home and take your socks off, to reveal skin that is all white and crinkly. (Once again, a post that is useless without photos.)

And we all know the unwritten rule of The Fridays:
No one must mention Simon's wrong turn, ever.

frank9755

Cyclist
Some nice pictures, Martin. I'm particularly impressed that the ones from the Scout Hut suggest you have mastered the technique of obtaining a misty soft focus effect by allowing your camera to sweat for several hours in a pocket on a wet night!

I hope you enjoyed your breakfast. Sorry I wolfed mine down and left sharply in my enthusiasm to 'hit the road' for the return journey!

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Frank, I did miss you, especially as I borrowed the DaveJ trick of asking for EXTRA BLACK PUDDING.
rolleyes.gif
It seems the Dun Run went well - I am trying not to be impressed by the time at which you are posting, given that you did the Brighton ride, rode home, had a short kip, then did the Dun Run and then cycled back home to That London. In the vernacular of some of the inebriated gentlemen we passed early on Saturday morning: You is well 'ard, innit."
whistling.gif

Herewith some namechecks:
I sat next to Swarmcatcher and extracted a promise that she would bring some special Swarmcatcher honey
thumbsup.png
to the Martletts ride, which I am helping as a marshal. (I may not make Bognor due to absurd and inexplicable demands from my employer that I do, actually, do some work.
angry.gif
) I also got the inside story of how to achieve success in the BCM and learnt that I am not tough enough. Maybe next year. She is well gnarly.
Had the privilege of riding back to the station with Ppete who passed on the secret of the decent mirror so have this very morning ordered a Busch & Muller Cycle Star. Thanks Pete.
All in all, a ride to be thankful that I had my trusty Paramo with me. I was wet from sweat - the Paramo was completely dry on the inside. No rain got through. wish I could say the same of my other clothes.
icon_smile_tongue.gif

Oh yes - a final thanks for Simon for
A) organising such a brilliant ride, the high point of my month.
B) such excellent navigation under some trying circumstances.

These FNRttCs are awesome. Thankyou Dellzeqq for a great Genteel ride to Brighton (although I didn't know that Genteel meant being drenched through to the skin including two cups of rainwater in each shoe) Gleurrrk!

FNRttCs really are a party on wheels. The atmosphere at HPC is so welcoming, friendly and full of enthusiasm for the night ahead - which seems to maintain itself right through to the destination. A friend of mine came to see me off and took some pics which will follow later (somebody turned to him and said he seemed to have forgotten something as he wouldn't get too far without a bike! Hilarious - he loved that - and a classic example of the fun of these rides!!). I met Fab Foody and then Mike who very kindly kept me moving the entire way with encouragement, information about the route - sharp corners, steep hills etc, fettling (loose spd's) and Chocolate bars! Lucky Me! Thank you so much Mike - what a star (apart from the red ones of course...!)

At an Asda I met User3143 who kindly agreed to keep an eye on my bike while I went inside. He was riding a recumbent low-racer - and went like a rocket. (I reminisced of Raptochic which may have been a low racer but that's where the similarity stopped and realised that such memories were definitely best forgotten!!)

Some parts of the ride were so dark it was almost spooky. I need to work out how to shout at my Hope so it lights up the road when I need it to! The weather was patchy and in parts very wet. (Although the best was yet to come!) As we neared Turners' Hill all I could think about was that fantastic video here of ILB on the BMX in May. Extraordinary achievement all in the name of fundraising for an orphanage in Romania ILBs link to Just Giving

It motivated me right the way to the top!! Thank you ILB!

On we went. The Scout Hut Caterers for Charity were Supreme. Vats of hot tea and coffee, tables full of home-made sandwiches and cakes all served by smiley, caring faces (although a definite undercurrent of belief that their entire customer base was completely barking mad!!)

The sun was coming up - well it was turning light. Onwards we went. And in the shadow of that terrifying beast that is the Beacon (the terrifying bit being the lunatic car drivers travelling too fast up and down it no matter what) there was Cafe Hatler. Coffee? Brilliant! Thank you!

I did the Beacon on foot. Me and hills have history (Blackburn!), tiredness, slight asthma from the damp air, lack of fitness and fear of coming off my bike or wobbling towards others had me walking up this hill. But there was a surprise in store! As I was just about 50 yards below the horse sign MarkGrant was coming down it on foot! "The thing is" he said, "if we get you back on your bike now, they (at the top around the corner) will never know!! They'll think you rode up. I'll give you a push". So that was it. I rode past the horse sign, round the corner to the top. Wayhayyyyy!! Absolutely fantastic. Thank you Mark!

Grand Chapeau to Susie though, who rode all the way up! :bravo:Brilliant - well done! Not sure I will ever manage that but it won't put me off these rides. It does give me great hope that if I keep trying, one day I might. So thank you Susie for the inspiration of your success.

The top of the Beacon was a transformation. From slightly wet through to completely saturated within minutes. The light but relentless, consistent drizzle, supported by a wind making the rain run into every component of me was unbelievable. It was July and I was riding in rain and fog. I couldn't see anyone ahead or behind me. It was unbelievable. Water was running down my neck, back and front. It was disgusting. My toes were squelching as though I had been for a paddle in the sea. I had no idea where I was. I just kept going. When I arrived at the outskirts of Brighton I was joined by McWobble, Ianrauk and one other (sorry!) Words failed all of us to describe what we had just ridden through.

Inside the Cafe, I actually wrang out my socks!! Now that's a first. It was revolting. It didn't actually make too much difference. At AdrianCs for tea and beer I was still leaving wet footprints all over the place. (Sorry AdrianC!) When I tied up my shoelaces to leave they sprayed me in the face with water!

On arrival home I slept for a bit, tried to have a couple of conversations for a bit, ate a bit and then slept until 10am this morning! I am very sorry to see the Frank and ZigZag incident. Two very experienced riders coming a cropper like that really sums up the conditions. Hope you are both ok.

As far as my FNRttC is concerned I loved it all. Thank you for an absolutely fantastic ride despite the weather. I took some pics here.

M :bicycle:

Attachments

• Dellzeqq Checking off Ianrauk.jpg
    Dellzeqq Checking off Ianrauk.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Zigzag and Frank.jpg
    Zigzag and Frank.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Superb Scout Hut Catered for.jpg
    Superb Scout Hut Catered for.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 113
  • A familiar star.jpg
    A familiar star.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 100
  • High Class Cyclists.jpg
    High Class Cyclists.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 97

frank9755

Cyclist
Frank, I did miss you, especially as I borrowed the DaveJ trick of asking for EXTRA BLACK PUDDING.
rolleyes.gif
It seems the Dun Run went well - I am trying not to be impressed by the time at which you are posting, given that you did the Brighton ride, rode home, had a short kip, then did the Dun Run and then cycled back home

I did get the extra black pudding too, but no Dun Run for me - I hit the road in the literal sense on the way back - so plans got changed!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Morning all!
Sitting here at the keyboard feeing like I've done 12 rounds with the Klitchko's, both of em!

Being a FNRttC virgin, my initiation (or Baptism maybe considering the rain) went something like this (I’ve deliberately avoided names (with 2 exceptions) for fear of upsetting any I forgot this morning, but to all that I chatted with and made me feel welcome, it was an absolute pleasure):

As it happened, I arrived at HPC in good time, but not terribly good spirits, matters at home had contrived to make me very late away from Abbers and hence dinner with Mum in-law in London was late, rushed and I near TT’d it up CS7 (as best one can) from Morden to HPC. After a couple laps of the roundabout I found my way in. Whilst I was stressed and befuddled, the warmth of greeting from the assembled crowd set the tone for the rest of the ride; human warmth on a damp night.

And then we were off, like a shoal of fish, darting round the backsteets of central London!

Meeting/greetings and chit-chat ensued whilst taking care not to commit any cycling faux-pas or causing incident as we gently meandered towards the countryside. I have to admit now to being somewhat preoccupied with fear and trepidation at this point, uncertain of how I would fare in such company and uncertain how I would cope or be equipped if the worst excesses of the weather were realised. I thought staying near the head of the ‘Peleton’ was a good plan and there I rode all night.

All changed on the outskirts of Coulsdon where the heavens decided to open and a massed donning of rainwear occurred. We were waiting sheltering under a tree and having just passed the end of my Sister In-Law’s road not 5 mins back, there was a strong urge to reconsider what I was doing, but as the rain fell and I looked around at everyone in solid and good spirits, I stiffened my resolve to the task and MTFU’d. My initial fears were thankfully unfounded.

Blatting down Reigate hill was a blast as was the hard charging run out to Horley. Apologies to those who’s wheels I sucked for not being polite (or able to breathe enough) to say thanks or hello. Fact is, the grin on my face prevented coherent speech. The spread by the Scouts was spot-on (well organised) and a good opportunity to rest, stretch and chat to many names that I can now put faces and voices to. Turners hill came and went (why oh why after any stop on a group ride immediately followed by a hill?) followed by the lovely fast run to Ditchling, and the most magnificent coffee service (many Thanks team Hatler – naming exception #1).

Ditchling was ace, having ridden it over 20 times on L2B’s this was my first time to tackle it without the crowds, little did I know as I engaged the granny gear and the slope kicked upwards that a marvellous moment was about unfold. Part way up I saw Susie (naming exception #2) hunched over her handlebars frustrated at again having to stop and walk, so I made a few loops and cajoled her back into the saddle and offered to share the ride with her to the top, I’m glad she accepted, for 2 reasons; firstly the whoop of satisfaction as she realised she was finally going to make it was a wonderful thing to witness, but more importantly because it was without doubt one of the gutsiest bits of cycling I’ve ever seen. Chapeau Susie.

Weather at the top was fun though eh? No ice-creams of admiring the view, we were sensibly sent forth for the demonic descent, God that was fun, wasn’t it? And finally the warm glow of the Madeira café, hearty nosh and more bonhommie. As I sat outside tucking into my food and hot coffee, I looked-out over the sea and for a few moments, it truly felt great to be alive, really really alive.

But then the logistics of getting home dawned, it was 0930 and I set-off to see what options were available train-wise, but as I got riding again, the rain was warm, my legs felt strong and my spirit good, stuff the train, I’m riding. I rode the NCN 20 to Crawley, the open sections were fab with the good tail-wind I could make 16-18mph without pedaling if I acted like a sail, (If only I’d brought the spinnaker). Had a p*ncture about 15 miles out of Brighton which I took my time to fix in a bus shelter. The NCN 20 had been a bit meandering, so at Crawley I decided for fast over interesting and took my chances on the A23 to Reigate, hugely rainy, but good progress. Nice Pasty and bun outside a bakers in Reigate (and much interest from passing locals taking pity on me). Once again, food and a chuffing great climb which I did to the roadworks and then walking seemed the safest option. A blast along the A217 took me to Sutton and a brief ogle in Pearsons before Morden and the car containing a towel and dry clothes (Mum in-law was out). Drove home, Food and took my lad to see a mate’s soul-band for a boogie and a pint of Hobgoblin!

So that was it, my first FNRttC. I’m very tired and very achey, but I had a great time, set a new mileage PB at 120 miles, met loads of lovely human beings, put faces to those whose words I enjoy reading, witnessed personal cycling achievement and realised I can achieve more yet on a bicycle. If I could grow a beard I’d maybe consider and Audax ;-)

Big thanks to all

FF.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Good to meet you, Foodster. We knew Susie could do Ditchling, but she the only one who wasn't convinced. Your support and excellent coaching changed her mind. What an appropriately Fab contribution to your first FNRttC!

Rimas, Frank- sorry to hear about your mishap. Hope you mend soon.

serious HAT! to Veronique and Susie, still not made it up the beacon and there's no way I would have on Saturday morning :sad:

woke up this morning with weird pain in my right shin and a very sore hamstring, I think my rather embarrassing clipless moment on Croxted Road on the way to HPC may not have helped my general wussishness on the ride itself.

Bognor's going to be different though, if I could do it without walking last time, so I will again.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
From Miranda (mice)'s photostream:

IMG_2070.JPG

A blurry Stephen (srw) and Rachel (and for the benefit of those who think I've just been unusually direct (aka rude), even for me - Miranda had just had to ditch her glasses because of indoor fog. Both R and I had the same problem half way up Ditchling. I passed my specs back to her and completed the ascent half-blind because of short-sightedness. She completed the ascent half-blind because of fog, and always maintains that she prefers not being able to see on hills because it means she doesn't know how far is left. Miranda - we met very briefly after the last Brighton ride.

More memories:
I wasn't going to mention Simon's wrong turn, but since someone else already has: SIMON GOT THE ROUTE WRONG. "I'm never going to live this down, am I?", he said as the W tandem prepared to make a complex turn.
Chapeau to Veronique, who seemed alarmingly at ease for someone in jeans on a town pootler - and to her escort, who seemed to be singing both times we passed them.
Thanks to the gentleman on the fixie who escorted a group down to the Madeira - and very kindly waited on the windswept downs when he realised his escortees on the tandem were rather slower up the final hill than he.
And especial thanks to the chap with the hip flask in the Madeira. A little nip sent breakfast down very nicely indeed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Martinbrice, Mice and others, great photos!

@ theClaud, great to meet you too at last! It was a real pleasure to 'help' Susie, but you know, sometimes our own fears defeat-us, maybe it's a psychological self-protection thing and we simply need somebody to amplify the 'I can do it' voice in our heads, I also think that sometimes we pay more attention to the encouragement of strangers than friends. I genuinely can say that her cresting the rise will be a moment that will stay with me forever.
Gearing helps however and I'm certain I was pushing a much lower gear (30x25, though I used to run a 73" fixie up there) maybe a cog swap would turn her into a regular Pantani.

@ User13710, shame we only met at the scout hut! Maybe another time. Just remember when you get to your next 'demon' hill, to RELAX, be calm and relaxed (did I say that already?), start with a sense of calm and purpose and up you'll go. I drove for hours to get to Mont Ventoux, arrived stressed (with the family in tow), saw it was really hot and knew I would struggle ... so I got on my bike in a really bad frame of mind and blew-up about half-way. Big regret.
With our freewheeling group we often take newbies and many experienced cyclists to White Horse Hill and many are surprised that they can ride to the top, all they need is telling that they can (and telling them to relax!). Good luck.

I don't know how FNRttC I can join a year, but I'm keen to do another sometime.

@manyotherforumitesthatwerethereand Ididn'tgettomeet, hopefully another time!

Frank/Rimas, terrible story, it was pretty horrible on the way back, but that was desperate luck. I soon learned thet with that much surface water concentration needs to be so much higher. Was it the roundabout with a big semi-submerged drain cover followed by a deep groove where the road-surface had opened-up? If it was, I nearly came a cropper there.

I'll post a few pics later.

Top Bottom