FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton July 15th 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
is there a garment for the torso that would have kept me dry-ish? because I would like one!
Paramo. I had one. It was dry inside after the ride. My thermal vest was wet from me sweating my way up The Beacon, but that was sweat not rain. A bit of rain got in by the neck because I hadn't zipped it up. I have the Velez Light, which is er, lighter (ie less thick and heavy) than the "normal weight" one. But any decent waterproof in good condition would probably have kept most of the rain out. IMHO people tend to keep these things far beyond their "best by" date. They should be chucked away after say three or four years. Paramo lasts forever though, because you wash the waterproofing into it (the waterproofer that Paramo makes) every now and again - once a year is usually perfectly adequate.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I did actually leave cleaning it until yesterday morning. Though did give it a bit of a rag down when I got home.
thumbsup.png

You missed a good SMRbtH plenty watery fun all the way home, when I had a puncture I didn't know whether to fix it myself or phone the RNLI to come and get me!

I've not dared to look at the state the bike's in :sad:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You missed a good SMRbtH plenty watery fun all the way home, when I had a puncture I didn't know whether to fix it myself or phone the RNLI to come and get me!

I've not dared to look at the state the bike's in :sad:

Hey! I'm still beating myself up at taking the 0.95p train option (actually it was free as Redlight was rather generous at not charging for the ticket) rather then battling back through torrential rain, blustery winds and crappy roads.
whistling.gif

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Paramo. I had one. It was dry inside after the ride. My thermal vest was wet from me sweating my way up The Beacon, but that was sweat not rain. A bit of rain got in by the neck because I hadn't zipped it up. I have the Velez Light, which is er, lighter (ie less thick and heavy) than the "normal weight" one. But any decent waterproof in good condition would probably have kept most of the rain out. IMHO people tend to keep these things far beyond their "best by" date. They should be chucked away after say three or four years. Paramo lasts forever though, because you wash the waterproofing into it (the waterproofer that Paramo makes) every now and again - once a year is usually perfectly adequate.

Martin, what sort of weight is the light one compared to cycling specific type tops and how breathable? Also do you have the one with or without a hood?

Tompy

My first FNRttC of the year and thoroughly enjoyable it was too. I didn't mind the rain too much until that stuff at the top of the Beacon. Even that wasn't as bad as that morning a few years ago when it was horizontal hail and not drizzle. It was nice to be of use as a waymarker a few times too - something I haven't really done since I stopped being a regular.

Congrats to the cute GP on her Brompton who (I think) completed her longest ride - the way she bombed down Reigate Hill was very impressive.

Oh and how could I forget the lovely spread put on by the scouts. Fantastic.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Martin, what sort of weight is the light one compared to cycling specific type tops and how breathable? Also do you have the one with or without a hood?
It is noticeably lighter to pick up and thinner than the "normal" Paramo. It comes with a hood that rolls down into the collar and when that is done up closely round my neck it keeps the heat in nicely.
As for comparing with cycle-specific stuff, I assume you mean the plasticky, not-very-breathable stuff. I think it is better than that for breathability, and is warmer. You may not want "warmer" but when I get warm, I take it off......
Also it lasts for ever cos you wash the waterproofing back into it now and again. I am not sure there is a good answer to what we had on Saturday morning after the Beacon. But I was warmish and pretty dry inside the Paramo, so i'm happy with that. If it had been wamer, I'd have been pretty much too warm, i suspect. But when it rains, it's usually cold as well......
One answer would be the £9 cycle cape from Argos, which I also have, but it is not much good in a headwind, or as on saturday morning, a head-gale.
But it's great with a tailwind......

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It is noticeably lighter to pick up and thinner than the "normal" Paramo. It comes with a hood that rolls down into the collar and when that is done up closely round my neck it keeps the heat in nicely.
As for comparing with cycle-specific stuff, I assume you mean the plasticky, not-very-breathable stuff. I think it is better than that for breathability, and is warmer. You may not want "warmer" but when I get warm, I take it off......
Also it lasts for ever cos you wash the waterproofing back into it now and again. I am not sure there is a good answer to what we had on Saturday morning after the Beacon. But I was warmish and pretty dry inside the Paramo, so i'm happy with that. If it had been wamer, I'd have been pretty much too warm, i suspect. But when it rains, it's usually cold as well......
One answer would be the £9 cycle cape from Argos, which I also have, but it is not much good in a headwind, or as on saturday morning, a head-gale.
But it's great with a tailwind......

Thanks Martin, I've been musing about a new general use top that could also be used on a bike. I was originally looking at some of the cycling specific softshell options but they tend to be more towards a racier cut, or at least the nice ones are. Fine on the bike but not so good off and if I'm forking out that sort of dosh I'd rather an allrounder than just cycling.

How small does it pack away to?

Just looking out of the window, watching the rain bounce off from the window cill sill neighbouring roof . I have a bazaar bizaar bizzaarre slightly worrying urge to run outside with my bike and ride up and down the road. Is this normal? :biggrin:

M :bicycle:

Edited to encourage correct spelling!!(Could be a full time job!)

Top Bottom