FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast: Cardiff - Swansea 24 June 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith Oates

Janner
It was another great ride for this FNRttC with dry weather through the night and thanks to @claude, @User482 and all the others for making it a very good night. We had no rain but in the early hours of the morning it was cold but followed by a BIG breakfast which soon got us warmed up. The night was capped by a brilliant ride around the Bay to the restaurant at the Mumbles.

StuartG

slower but further
The Brown Beer was Caffreys, which is vile.
This is true. The only blot on a perfect night ride. Well that and no cake but the free fries made it forgiveable.

I really enjoy compact rides like this (27?). A diverse selection - some of whom knew little of the Fridays thinking it was 'just' a CTC ride. Oh and four well behaved clown bikes. Ideal when cycle policies stand between one and Welsh Wales.

Thanks @theclaud & @User482 for organising and punctillious recce-ing. Don't forget a Swansea to Tenby might make a nice addition to repertoire next year.

And thanks to NationalExpress and especially Megabus (who have rather swisher buses) for making this possible at such short notice for not a lot.

StuartG

slower but further
I didn't mention my favourite bits of the ride.

Outstanding and unforgetable was a long sequence of downhills along a lane barely 6' wide with perpendicular hedges 12' high.
Like hurtling through a ghostly tunnel.

Looking out at lights along the coast before realising they were across the channel - England!

Llanwit Major - more a model English film set than Welsh village. Regrouping between competing barbers directly opposite each other. Blades at dawn?

The triple hill. Steeper than Dichling but served in more manageable sections. Still character forming.

Finally Swansea Bay with breakfast tantilising visible 5 miles away around that sweeping curve of sparkling sea and being buzzed by an orange torpedo (which I will leave for someone else to explain).

mmmmartin

Random geezer
true for Bromptons, but Bike Fridays and Airnimals are much cheaper if used and a Mezzo is about £200. Lee had one on the Bordeaux trip and it seemed OK.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ooops. I have just woken up from my "quick nap". It's 1am.

Oh and four well behaved clown bikes.
My Brompton is currently standing unfolded in the place normally taken by my best bike, leaning against the radiator in the hall looking very smug. It's getting ideas above its station. If I am to make a habit of riding it for longer distances I think bar-ends may be called for. I was struggling to improvise new hand positions later in the ride. And I must learn to ride standing on the pedals. The steepest section of the big hill (18% according to my Garmin) was just impossible seated, the front wheel was lifting and I couldn't control the bike, but I'm nervous about standing up on the B as it feels too unstable.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Here's a track of the ride
RideWithGPS

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
Useless FGW/GWR/Ominishambles Rail.
A FNRttC wouldn't be the same without a train rant from you @StuAff! Always justified I'm sure & on this occasion @Eddie_C @robjh & Tom? can contribute more. The 1222 Swansea-London turned out to be going only to Bristol TM for reasons only later & variously specified as absent driver & emergency engineering. Tom opted to wait for the 1322.....
At Bristol TM there was a very quick change on to a train going to Paddington via Bath & Reading but by a circuitous route (?) @robjh had to wait for a connection 30 mins later: I hope you got back to your mobile home for a kip & then drove home safely? Eddie & I finally trundled to London 65 mins late. A compensation request is pending.

StuartG

slower but further
Smugness means I won't mention that NE got me into Victoria 20 mins early @ 5pm. Slower than Megabus but then as I slept the whole way it didn't matter. But then I'm not entitled to a refund so I guess that makes it more expensive?

robjh

Legendary Member
..The 1222 Swansea-London turned out to be going only to Bristol TM for reasons only later & variously specified as absent driver & emergency engineering. Tom opted to wait for the 1322.....
At Bristol TM there was a very quick change on to a train going to Paddington via Bath & Reading but by a circuitous route (?) @robjh had to wait for a connection 30 mins later: I hope you got back to your mobile home for a kip & then drove home safely? ....
It got more interesting. The departure time of 15.08 came and went, and a gaggle of hi-vizzed engineers gathered around the front engine. It was announced that we'd be leaving soon but slowly as running on only one of the train's 2 engines, then that we weren't, and we finally left 20 minutes late. I made it back to Swindon 1hr 40 later than expected, had a short nap -probably too short - then drove back to Cambridgeshire where I arrived after 9pm. The long day and night together with the cold I was fighting all through the ride then took their toll on me and I'm in recovery mode today, all dosed up with lemsips.

Ooops. I have just woken up from my "quick nap". It's 1am.

My Brompton is currently standing unfolded in the place normally taken by my best bike, leaning against the radiator in the hall looking very smug. It's getting ideas above its station. If I am to make a habit of riding it for longer distances I think bar-ends may be called for. I was struggling to improvise new hand positions later in the ride. And I must learn to ride standing on the pedals. The steepest section of the big hill (18% according to my Garmin) was just impossible seated, the front wheel was lifting and I couldn't control the bike, but I'm nervous about standing up on the B as it feels too unstable.

+ Bar ends! That was the single change that made my Brompton a brilliant bike for touring in Provence a few weeks ago.
Yes, practice "honking". Or put a small bag on the front luggage block as a little weight at the front always helps.

Top Bottom