FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Cardiff to Swansea 20th May 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
Yep - but it was even more fun and interesting than a road bike!

First lessons learnt: Don't wear smooth cycling shoes. Could hardly keep my feet on the pedals which led to all 50 teeth of the chainring leaving a little indentation on my right ankle.

Second lesson learnt: Get a smaller chainring. the 50/13 gives a granny gear of 48 which made a mountain out of each and every molehill. .

And yet you went sailing past me ( Or I sailed backwards) on every hill as if you had a lecci motor hidden in it.

That is amazing, Charlie: you and Jonesy both have the same design flaw...?
whistling.gif

Brian Jonesy and Charlie Watts-Output. They are both rolling stones too many, I expect! :smile:

jonesy

Guru
Stuart, I've got a Brooks saddle, well worn in, had it for years, hence my surprise at how sore I was at the end. DZ has suggested a narrower one might be better for longer distances .M.ine is a standard B17, what is yours?

Stuart, I've got a Brooks saddle, well worn in, had it for years, hence my surprise at how sore I was at the end. DZ has suggested a narrower one might be better for longer distances .M.ine is a standard B17, what is yours?

Any saddle is going to make you sore at the end innit? :smile:

On the saddle topic, I changed mine from a Thoork to a 'gifted' new Rolls for the last Brighton ride. I got to halfway before I looked at my bike and remembered that I had changed the saddle!
The second time I used it was London to Swansea.

There's comfort for you! I think Des is a Rolls man too, and he's never had a conversation with Ivor Sorebutt after consuming plenty of miles...

U

User482

Jonesy, throw out your overweight weapon of ass destruction, and buy a Charge Spoon. Sorted.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Jonesy, throw out your overweight weapon of ass destruction, and buy a Charge Spoon. Sorted.
class! I do think of the B17 as an instrument of torture (and I used one for a decade) but the Brompton doesn't give you the easy option of standing and letting a bit of air get to your nether regions. SPDs would help, and bar ends might give a bit of relief to the back.

Jormes

Regular

Blimey Claud, those are some really fabulous photos. And I'm all for a bit of enticement but that's like a Gower version of the child catcher (snatcher?). Surely at least 90% of those pics should have been showing pouring / sleeting / horizontal or just plain drizzling rain. Looking at those I'M almost believing we have summers! :tongue:

In all seriousness though, we may not have much good weather but when we do the sights are pretty stunning. In fact, it's pretty amazing even in the bad weather!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
class! I do think of the B17 as an instrument of torture (and I used one for a decade) but the Brompton doesn't give you the easy option of standing and letting a bit of air get to your nether regions. SPDs would help, and bar ends might give a bit of relief to the back.

+1 to that. I think Brompton's have the same long-stem issues as most Dahons (i.e. standing on the pedals for long periods isn't a good idea), but you should still be OK to rise out of the saddle a little from time to time.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Blimey Claud, those are some really fabulous photos. And I'm all for a bit of enticement but that's like a Gower version of the child catcher (snatcher?). Surely at least 90% of those pics should have been showing pouring / sleeting / horizontal or just plain drizzling rain. Looking at those I'M almost believing we have summers! :tongue:

Will you behave?? Anyone would think there were prevailing south-westerlies! The very idea!

frank9755

Cyclist

In all seriousness though, we may not have much good weather but when we do the sights are pretty stunning. In fact, it's pretty amazing even in the bad weather!

That one is a peach!

As I was having breakfast on Sunday, looking out onto Langland Bay and watching the surfers riding the waves, the landlady said that she thought the sea looked a lot more interesting when it was really windy. Just as well, I thought...

Top Bottom