FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham near Bognor 22nd April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A big thankyou from me, it was my first fnrttc and I really really enjoyed it. I will be back for more, possibly the Whitstable ride.:bravo:

Great ride as always Simon. Well done to you and the TECs and Waymarkers

My first time to Bogner and it did not disappoint. Particularly liked the way the air temperature noticeably changes at the top and bottom of the hills, the great sun rise, the Deathstar moon waiting to attack and the mist across the route.

Ian kindly let me use his ticket home from Littlehampton so i had a very nice pottle to the train then back to Croydon for another nice pottle in the sun home. I was 1/2 a mile under 100 so I went round the block to get my first ton of 2011

Thanks again

Clive

I felt a little chilly but it passed. Compared to Southend last month, this was positively tropical!

As said a classic ride. I didn't really feel up for this when I left home but an hour in and it was all good. Great to see Becs and Miranda, hope no one got too "ill". The ride back was fun but largely uneventful. 155 miles for me and I am tired but now in garden with beer. Happy days! :becool:

It was great to see you all too. Doing an entire FNRttC by train is a little different (to say the least!) but seeing you all mid-ride from the train at Amberley was a very special moment. It was obviously a great FNRttC and I thoroughly enjoyed sitting in the sunshine in Felpham even though I was the only one without a bicycle!! I took some pics. (But dont have access to Picasso etc so they should appear below...)

Hopefully me and my bicycle will be back on the road soon - I am hoping in time for the next FNRttC but that is currently subject to Doctor Approval.

Shocked to read about matthews accident - well done for continuing all the way to Felpham and I hope they track down the driver.

Enjoy the sunshine while it lasts - oooo it seems to have disappeared already!

M

Attachments

• 1 Fields in the mst.jpg
    1 Fields in the mst.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2 Cylists were seen from the train near Ambleton.jpg
    2 Cylists were seen from the train near Ambleton.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 3 Towards the South Downs.jpg
    3 Towards the South Downs.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 4 From the banks of the Arun.jpg
    4 From the banks of the Arun.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 5 The Seat of the Duke of Norfolk.jpg
    5 The Seat of the Duke of Norfolk.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 6 The Millpond at Felpham.jpg
    6 The Millpond at Felpham.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 7 Anyone seen over 100 Cyclists.jpg
    7 Anyone seen over 100 Cyclists.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 8 The quiet before the queue.jpg
    8 The quiet before the queue.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 9 The silent surf.jpg
    9 The silent surf.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 10 Wayhayyyy Welcome to Felpham FNRttCers.jpg
    10 Wayhayyyy Welcome to Felpham FNRttCers.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 11 The cat that got the cream.jpg
    11 The cat that got the cream.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 12 Arallsopp Arivves on his fave wheels.jpg
    12 Arallsopp Arivves on his fave wheels.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 13 Red Jedi and Becs mit Birthday Cake.jpg
    13 Red Jedi and Becs mit Birthday Cake.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 14 Birthday Champers in a cup.jpg
    14 Birthday Champers in a cup.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 15 Thank you Dellzeqq  another great FNRttC and a train trip.jpg
    15 Thank you Dellzeqq another great FNRttC and a train trip.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 16 Picnic at the Seaside.jpg
    16 Picnic at the Seaside.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 17 Cheers Beers.jpg
    17 Cheers Beers.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 18 Origamist with Flying Dodo.jpg
    18 Origamist with Flying Dodo.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 19 Flying Dodo wins the best dressed cyclist award.jpg
    19 Flying Dodo wins the best dressed cyclist award.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 20 A message to everyone.jpg
    20 A message to everyone.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 21 Not that sort of               bike.jpg
    21 Not that sort of bike.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 22 Staggered Drinkers.jpg
    22 Staggered Drinkers.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 87
  • 23 Its all in the planning.jpg
    23 Its all in the planning.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 24 By George Aperitif What a Way to Travel.jpg
    24 By George Aperitif What a Way to Travel.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 25 Origamist and the Dragon.jpg
    25 Origamist and the Dragon.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 26 Red Jedi and Origamist needing more birthday beers.jpg
    26 Red Jedi and Origamist needing more birthday beers.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 27 Red Jedi looking like Cool Hand Luke.jpg
    27 Red Jedi looking like Cool Hand Luke.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 85
  • 28 No rest for the cable tie.jpg
    28 No rest for the cable tie.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 29 Butlins Big Tops.jpg
    29 Butlins Big Tops.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 30 Back in the Smoke.jpg
    30 Back in the Smoke.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 31 Another Three Bridges and home.jpg
    31 Another Three Bridges and home.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 73

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Cracking pictures mice, looks like it was brilliant fun, I was in Bognor getting my car MOT'd at 10:30 I wish I had of headed to Felpham..........next time.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
MarinYork does what MarinYork does best... sleep
5646343955_26ef056708.jpg

Arundel was beautiful in the morning sun.
5646342183_9404f90e67.jpg

5646900550_f57bf97ccf_z.jpg

Not sure what all these gents found so interesting in the grass at their feet..
5646904580_3dc46ab430_z.jpg

That-a-way sez the Adrian
5646338711_762b34c3d1_z.jpg

Arundel Castle looking resplendent in the sunshine
5646898284_b227ed1959_z.jpg

Well... THIS from an esteemed CC poster.. tsk tsk what is the world coming too?. You just can't refuse can you?.. I blame that Mickle bloke (link contains rude word)
biggrin.gif
thumbsup.png

All these photo's and a few more HERE. Help yourself...

If you have never done a FNRttC and are umming and arring... then get yourself on one. You will not regret it.

That was awesome, thanks Simon for organising a great ride, and thanks to all the TECS too. And special thanks to Adrian who kept me on my bike when I was about to bail on a hill (you were right, it was just around the corner), which meant that I managed to complete a ride with wussing out for the first time! Hopefully I can manage the same next month to Brighton.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That was, I think, the best day/night/day...let's settle for 24 hours...I've had on a bike.
First off, many thanks to Hummers, Pete and Richard for the GFrttS. Great idea, great company, perfect weather for it..it really did all work out perfectly. Pete was a bit worried about his pace, but I think that he well and truly put those doubts to rest. I reckoned 12 mph for six rolling hours was easily doable, but I thought H's original target of getting to Haslemere and the planned rendezvous with Pete was a little optimistic. I'll readily admit, as I did to the guys yesterday, that I was wrong. The Pompey three left our meet-up point on the Eastern Road at 4.05, we were at the pub at Grayswood, just north of Haslemere two hours later. I lagged a little behind at times, but the pace was still very comfortable for all of us. The roads were pretty quiet, and the terrain favourable too. Rolling, for sure, but no killer climbs, a good gentle work-out really. The three of us had a drink before Pete made the pub just about 6.45, and we moved on as they weren't serving food until 7 & we thought it better to move on to somewhere else. A rather trendy pub wasn't far up the road, and we all had pizzas, which proved rather good. At 8ish we moved on, and continued to make great time, Pete's protestations about his climbing speed not entirely accurate, no-one was having any real problems. Up through Guildford we went, then a short run on the bike path alongside the A3 before turning off for Ockham, then up through Esher and Kingston. Into Richmond Park, and through to Roehampton Gate and Priory Lane. As we had more than enough time in hand, we decided to go to Victoria to refuel & help out with signing in. Then we went over Putney Bridge and up an extremely quiet Kings Road, before we went to Victoria. We made it at 10.40- average speed for 75 miles a rather stonking (IMHO) 13mph.
The ride itself went extremely well. No waymarking or TECing for me this time, but despite having already done more miles than we were doing down to Bognor, my legs weren't feeling it, I was spending as much time as usual at the front. I once again failed to crash, despite the usual jibes, and Davy successfully avoided the curbs in Tesco ;) The regroups were more down to the size of the peloton than any mechanicals- Rebecca among others might have struggled a bit at times, but apart from Nigel I don't know of any who didn't make it to Felpham. Mark and team at the Cabin did their usual, exemplary work, before we all carried on. I'm not over-fond of the off-road section, but the scenery was lovely, of course, and I can't imagine the route we took on the Not a Christmas Bognor ride working on a FNRttC, far too lumpy for many riders.
The Boat House was again, a delightful place to spend a Saturday morning. It was lovely to see Miranda and Becs (go for factor 50 ;) ) and the cake in honour of Luke's birthday went down very nicely. H and the Hampshire peloton headed west before I was ready to move, so I ended up going west with Simon, Susie and Claud, where we slowly progressed through as far as the junction for Chichester (me) and the Witterings (them). Made it back home not long after one, not long after that I needed a nap! My one-day mileage record (140 on the day of Loughbrough-London) well and truly smashed, 168.6 miles (including the section from HPC to Balham, not on my GPS track after I forgot to start the Garmin's clock again).
Thanks everyone for an absolute cracker, with a particular 'well done' for Rebecca, Kim, User10571 (been there, done that with a frozen bottle!) and the others who didn't let their various ailments impair their or anyone else's evening. Hope those assailants get caught soon, Matthew.
For those who aren't joining the Republican movement to Hastings, see you for Brighton hopefully!

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Stuaff were you the four cyclists I saw stuck in the traffic between Pagham and Chichester, on the back road about 11:30 - 12:00 two riders in yellow tops and two in black tops, I was wondering would it be any of the cc crew?

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Stuaff were you the four cyclists I saw stuck in the traffic between Pagham and Chichester, on the back road about 11:30 - 12:00 two riders in yellow tops and two in black tops, I was wondering would it be any of the cc crew?

Yup, that was me & Simon in yellow, Susie and Claud in black.

A big thank you to Simon and crew for a brilliant ride. Everything was perfect, wasn't it?

Lovely to put faces to more names - whether real life ones or CC aliases!
So nice to do a night ride at a comfortable temperature...
Still wondering what those birds we heard might have been and what they were up to...
and wasn't the sunrise over the misty Arun valley a glorious sight? (Ian's photos are superb.
thumbsup.png
)

Special thanks to Adam, Matthew and Teef for keeping me company at the back from Betchworth to Faygate and for being so patient (without being obvious about it!).

Thanks also to the chaps who led a little group of us swiftly and unerringly to the station...
and to Charlotte for sorting our Groupsave tickets back to the Big Smoke.

Uneventful journey home via Clapham Junction. Home by 13.30, in bed by 14.00 - woken by thunder and heavy rain at 17.00 - hope none of the SMRbtH'ers were caught in that!!

And so - exhausted and will no doubt be sore/stiff for a few days but very happy I made it. Simon's suggested train assist from Horsham to Ford worked a treat - definitely the best thing for the knee and my fitness level!

75 km on the clock - more than 3 times the longest ride I'd done to date since my knee surgery. Well chuffed.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Another vote of thanks to Dellzeqq and his henchpeople for a superb ride, possibly ranking alongside the historic West Wittering rolling thunder ride of yore. This ride had all the good bits of an FNRttC: merry banter in Mitcham ("Gawd bless you!"), a shooting star over the fields before Faygate, swooping descents, mostly smooth roads that rolled on for mile after blissful mile, the mini-Dunwich-Dynamo sight of a string of a hundred riders in the dark, excellent company throughout, weird bird noises (was it perhaps the sound of a rookery full of restless baby rooks and their frazzled parents?) and the intoxicating sound of a nightingale at West Chiltington, just as the sun rose through the trees to burn of the last of those wispy fog pockets, the two cuckoos at Amberley, the cross country bit that my totally slick tyres found challenging, that gorgeous avenue alongside Arundel Castle, the pint of Carling that only took 27 minutes to pour (thank you User10571!), the sunshine, the chips, the train home with a smattering of riders and a non-rider, and then the delight of an estate car to pick up two vert tired riders and their bikes from East Croydon.

U

User10571

The estate car which picked us up and allowed us to make good our escape from the malfeasance otherwise known as East Croydon was, indeed, most welcome.

Hurrah! And thanks, Mrs.PaulRide
smile.gif

Top Bottom