FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - suggestions for 2011 please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
This isn't a beauty contest. I'm not after 'Blackpool sucks, let's go to Rhyl instead!' but Mike has proved that the FNRttC mix can work in exotic climes, and, in happy consequence, some of us became aquainted with and charmed by a part of the world we didn't know, and all of us enjoyed a ride that brought together people from all over England and further afield.

So..........what are the ingredients?

1. Simplicity. Think of London to Brighton or York to Cleethorpes, and the small number of discretionary turns.
2. A really delicious start. HPC is difficult to beat (although Sloane Square might be better), but York Minster was its equal.
3. Railways, particularly at the destination. Cleethorpes was an astute choice on Mike's part. Three lines. Southend (6 trains an hour) and Brighton (more still) are the Daddys, but we manage with Whitstable because you don't need reservations on Southern trains - and the trains are 8 car.
4. Halfways stop. Tricky. There's a better Southend route just waiting to be ridden, but I've been up and down the route and asked every eatery on the way, and they're not interested. It takes luck and perseverence. In my view the route comes first and the half way stop is either worked out or not.
5. Scenery. Not really a big deal, because the night elevates the ordinary - try doing the Brighton route by day and you'll see what I mean.
6. Destination. Felpham is about as good as it gets - you almost stumble on the sea, but Brighton (all the fun of the fair), Southend (promenade and stunning railway station) and Whitstable (raised deck with view of a windfarm) are all good. Harwich may turn out to be a real favourite.
5. Length. 55-75 miles. Flatter means longer.

Here's my first thoughts.

Gloucester Cathedral to Cardiff Bay. A straight run down the A38, over the Severn Bridge and hug the coastline
Leeds City Hall to Morecambe. A tough ride, and it really depends on what the A65 is like at night
Sheffield to Hull. Sort of trying to improve on perfection, and I doubt the start will match York - but Hull is a very attractive destination.
Manchester City Hall to Morecambe. It might be that this can be done without spending too much time in streetlights
Bristol Docks to Swansea. A bit long, but who wouldn't cycle 88 miles for a free breakfast, especially if the waiter is wearing corduroy!

Local knowledge is key - so I'd really be interested in roads close to your home. I haven't entirely ruled out Scotland, but the only idea I've had is Glasgow to Oban, and it's a bit long, and I have doubts about the road.

So, please give up your thoughts - if nothing else comes of it, it'll be a good excuse for some recce rides.

Rabbitthekitten

Leicester to Skegness.

MSeries

I have ridden Leeds (Morley where I live) to Blackpool loads of times. 70+ miles crossing the Pennines. Leeds - Morecambe might be easier, I don't like the A65 at any time of day though, I'll have a look at my maps.

What about York-Bridlington ?

OK Speaking as a Phillistine - and with due deference to MSeries Martin, I would like to do a festival ride to Blackpool, our 'Tour DeFerence'...from somewhere.
Start 'somewhere' at 8- 9pm perhaps, arrive at Blackpool to savour the clubbing delights around midnight and return inward - to a café near a station- by 07:30? Go via a major shoping city and there will be no need to deprive people of their longed for jacket potatoes as the food section in a convenient Tescos will be open 24 hrs...

I dream a lot. :wacko:

Chrisc

Guru
MSeries said:
I have ridden Leeds (Morley where I live) to Blackpool loads of times. 70+ miles crossing the Pennines. Leeds - Morecambe might be easier, I don't like the A65 at any time of day though, I'll have a look at my maps.

What about York-Bridlington ?

York-Brid sounds great, or York- Filey. Plenty trains back to Leeds then anywhere from there and nice riding over the wolds.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Chesterfield to Skeggy/Barton on Humber/Hull. Not as crazy as it sounds - the start is the Crooked Spire and Chesterfield is on East Midlands trains from London and links to various other places. Even if lines were knocked out you could cycle to say Sheffield easily or say Retford (although that would be mad).

I think Leeds to Morcambe would be absolutely brutal.

I like York -> Bridlington suggestion although it might be regarded as too easy. I'd say that York to Scarborough would be good and it has better rail links. Finish outside the grand hotel or something.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Chrisc said:
York-Brid sounds great, or York- Filey. Plenty trains back to Leeds then anywhere from there and nice riding over the wolds.

Erm, isn't Filey fairly problematic for trains? I agree there are some fabulous places you could go, Filey is my favourite actually but I'm not sure one would have necessarily the choice of cafes for the end and trains could be a lot better. On an equal footing to Filey there are 5 or 6 other places about as tolerable for transport links.

marinyork said:
Erm, isn't Filey fairly problematic for trains? I agree there are some fabulous places you could go, Filey is my favourite actually but I'm not sure one would have necessarily the choice of cafes for the end and trains could be a lot better. On an equal footing to Filey there are 5 or 6 other places about as tolerable for transport links.

We need Fileyfax. I had one of those circa 1984...

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm only a one time FNRttCer so I hope you don't mind me chipping in - how about Oxford to Southampton? Be at the upper end of the distance limit but there's some fine countryside all the way and both ends are well connected with railways.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Winchester - Poole (or if nuts Weymouth)
Shrewsbury - Aberystwyth (prob a late breakfast but you get to cross a proper mountain range)

Canrider

Guru
marinyork said:
Erm, isn't Filey fairly problematic for trains?
Bizarrely, the train to York routes through Seamer with 30 minutes' wait, but 1.5 hours to York from Filey ain't bad.

Naturally, I'd suggest any of York-Brid/Filey/Scarb (check my location), but can I also suggest York-Whitby? The distance is equivalent to Scabs or Filey, the route is virtually straight line through Pickering, and I suspect even the A64 would be safe at that hour when attempted in numbers. If it ain't, it adds a few turns but only a couple of miles:

Google Maps

However, the train access to Whitby is definitely slightly less than Scarb/Filey, with basically one chance out Saturday mornings via Middlesbrough.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
24-hour Tescos are OK as a stop in summer (toilets, Frijj, sausage rolls, cake, whatever), although the lack of a hot drink is a bummer when it gets colder.

From a transport point of view, I prefer riding inward to London; we've done Oxford to London at night six times now and it has some great features. My route is, however, totally unsuitable for 60+ riders of unknown cycling experience - a very experienced guy went into the hedge last week despite my dire warnings about the gravel in West Hyde Lane - and some of the descents are potential killers in the dark, if the badgers and deer don't get you first. I wouldn't like to take more than 12.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
London's good for getting a train home, but I'd hesitate to call it "Coast", despite its tidal status. Oxford - Brizzle? I like the sound of Shrewsbury - Aber too.

Top Bottom