FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 31st May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

This random act of gloveliness may actually be responsible for ending winter, for which my appendages will be eternally grateful.
How deep is your glove......
How.... deep.... is.... your..... glove?

TimO

Guru
As an addendum to some of the (semi drunken) discussions we had after breakfast, The Sky At Night episode on iPlayer currently, briefly talks about the sun, and the rate at which mass is converted into energy. I thought that the sun lost around half a million tons a second, but that programme states the rate of loss as being around four million tons a second, so I underestimated it by around an order of magnitude!

Simon also queried what the pressure inside the Sun was, and I didn't know a number of the top of my head. A quick check suggests that near the centre of the sun, where fusion occurs, and hence that's also where the mass loss occurs, the pressure is probably just over 100,000,000,000 atmospheres, or over 7,000,000,000 times the pressure in a road bike tyre. It needs to be quite high for fusion to occur, but the force produced by that then stops the Sun compressing any further. If you want really high pressures, you can look at the interior of a neutron star, where the internal pressure is probably around 1,500,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 atmospheres, and the only thing stopping it collapsing infinitely (which is in effect what happens with a black hole) is quantum degeneracy pressure.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
quantum degeneracy
Just like after a FNRttC and a couple of pints?

Wobblers

Euthermic
It's just a fancy name for the phenomena that two things don't like to occupy the same space.

But where else but the FNRttC would you ever hear about quantum degeneracy pressure, international space satellites, swamp frogs or pylons? :smile:

TimO

Guru
It's just a fancy name for the phenomena that two things don't like to occupy the same space. ...

Well, slightly more involved than that, since it generally only has an impact on very small things, like individual atoms themselves. Having an effect on something of macroscopic dimensions, even if a neutron star is tiny compared to most stars, is still rather unusual.

U

User10571

Thread necromancy time....
Those of you clamouring (and there were a few of you) for more miles following the half way stop, on the last Whitstable ride, rest assured I have this weekend, conjured up a further 9.85 miles of level, un-trafficked, waterside country lanes that are simply gagging for some 700x23C action - the added bonus of which is they neatly snip Basser Hill out of the ride (how good is that?) - for which some of you will, doubtless, be thankful.
More miles = fewer hills - Whoopeedoo! \0/
Doubtless any such cavalier adventure is likely to incur the displeasure of the bandaged one.
However, I see it as my duty to not only furnish you with happy, happy miles, but to also turn His Leggship's view contrary to convention.
It's a dirty, dirty job. But someone has to do it.
Thank you.

Top Bottom