FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 31st May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Whitstable. Oysters. Rock pools. Sea anemones. But that's enough about Jeanette Winterton, not least because, the soft salt-smackingly delicious bivalves that give Whitstable it's fame and fortune won't be much in evidence in May. We'll settle, instead, for sausages, plump and bursting with meatiness, eggs rimmed with butter, all washed down with yeasty beer from the pumps pulled so fondly by the happy crew at the Waterfront Club.

And before that..........Decimus 'Dreadful' Burton at Hyde Park Corner, Vanbrugh and Wren at Greenwich, the singular joy of Harmer Street in Gravesend, the dolorous marshes of North Kent, the view over the Medway, our fave Soviet sub, the genteel charm of our halfway stop at the The Church of the English Martyrs in Strood, Dickens' Rochester, the Mysterious Spires of Upchurch, the Cloth Hall at Milton Regis, and Sittingbourne, about which too much can be said. And then, a run across the causeway to Faversham's Market Square before the eight miles of quiet, gilded splendour that is the Graveney Marshes.

This seventy mile essay through the Garden of England is our Queen of Rides. It's not the easiest seventy miles in the world - while I may have relented and taken out some of the hills, it's still a technical ride that takes a bit of getting used to. It rewards swift gear changing and careful cornering, but, most of all, it rewards those who catch the southwest wind from Faversham and skim, like kites through the early morning sunshine to the sea wall and down in to, well, to misquote, Miss Winterton, the damp, sweet starfish of a town that is our destination.

Click the link below, take a good look through the the blogwotsit and send me an e-mail

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes please

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Email sent. This is one of best rides we do, IMHO. Very low on the London chav quotient, very high on the leafy lanes, quiet countryside quotient. And the bit after Faversham is brilliant, and not simply because it is downhill then flat.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Whitstable is my first love FNRttC-wise so with heavy heart I have to say 'No'. Riding from Glasgow to Carlisle in the company of occassional FNRttC-er Ken Moon and a pal that weekend.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
My most favorite ride, ever, but not for the journey back any how.. and its the only one clashing with dates in my diary...

I will be seeing if I can get 'Doggy' coverage sooner to the time and will confirm then.. would be a right shame to miss out. Then again, it is likely to rain, it always does.. but were 'ard now, in'it.

TimO

Guru
Email sent off for this one. I always quite enjoy Whitstable, and an early summer ride should be a bit warmer than the Felpham one was!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Wouldn't miss this one - it'll be my birthday when we get to Whitstable. :cheers:
it'll be your birthday when we get to Greenwich.......

but, seeing as it's your birthday, I'll put you at the top of the list!

Adam B
Adrian C
Alice C
Andrew F
Bill R
Charlie M
Chris By (southern)
Christine K
Gary J
Geoffrey S
Grahame D
Ian At