FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable 6th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humbert15

What a lovely ride! So nice to get home after a Fridays outing with dry gear! Wonderful route, fantastic organisation, splendid pitstop, fascinating architectural history talk, marvellous company from start (Mick on the train) to finish (Carl on the Crab and Winkle)...even that Guinness wasn't quite the ridiculous idea I'd feared it might be, although I won't be making a habit of breakfast stout. Nice though the Crab & Winkle was, I decided to catch a train from Canterbury to Ashford, then another one home to Brighton. Very glad I did because not 2 minutes after boarding my first train the heavens opened. Many many thanks to Simon especially and everyone else for making my second FNRttC such a jolly thing. See you all again soon I hope - and rest assured I'll shout on here when Simpson's on the newsstands.

PippaG

Veteran
I made it!!!!!!

Haven't done the whitstable ride for a couple of years now and it was never my favourite (burn her!) But I really enjoyed last night. Great to see some long missed friends and catch up with others.

I had a secret plan to cycle home as my legs need the miles. There were warnings of all sorts weather and this would have been a convenient excuse to stay and drink beer. However the promised rain didn't look forthcoming and so a merry band consisting of me with 4 strapping blokes set off back on the SMRbtH. A fairly fruity (for me) pace was set and I was pretty pleased with myself for pretty much keeping up. The heavens did open with that nice honest rain that falls in big plops but it didn't really matter as it was warm enough and it didn't last that long.

When Ross punctured I decided to keep going albeit a bit more slowly and Adam kept me company with the plan for the others to catch us up. We didn't use the diversion but went along the dug up road without issue (although we did have to leap some big holes in the ground) and then we pushed on. We got to Chatham and there was no sign of the others so we sat around at the bus station waiting. We waited nearly 30 mins and they still hasn't turned up so I could only conclude they were in fact in front.

So off to Rochester with plans to take the train if we couldn't find them. At this point I secretly hoped for the train option. And then as we waited at some traffic lights, they went cycling past. Yay? Well, martin and Ross went off to take the main road option whilst Adam, ian and I took the more scenic route. And boy am I glad I did - what an absolutely fabulous little route. Ian left us at the top of Leessons (?) Hill and we headed for home. Bloody hell was I hungry.

140 miles on the clock from leaving home last night. Thanks to all for the company; the giggles, the chats and the support. Thanks especially to strapping lads for accompanying me home, in particular ian for being the route master. I hope I didn't hold any of you up too much. Until the next time.

BigGee

Well the weather forecasters got it wrong and we had a great ride, probably the nicest weather I have ever had for a Whitstable ride, even the headwind did not really seem to be that noticeable and caused no massive problems.

With the threat of rain Simon kept the ride moving along and we seemed to speed out of south east London faster than usual and with minimal incident, though I did hear of a couple of drunks jumping out in front of people at a traffic light and a punch then being thrown. Sadly a little bit predictable for leaving the capital at that time of night, but fortunately no major harm done and suddenly we were past it all and running down beside the river, past the bridge and into Dartford and Kent.

A few steepish hills prior to Gravesend stretched the ride out a bit and allowed the front runners to take in the Georgian architecture and other sights of Gravesend at night, sadly a bit diminished now following the closure of the gay night club whose patrons used to provide us with some friendly banter. The whole place was actually eerily quiet, certainly compared with south east London, so as soon as everyone caught up we were off again.

Food was beckoning by now and was as usual provided expertly by Mr & Mrs Decker and friends at the church of the English martyrs in Strood, suitable we are lead to believe, for non English martyrs as well! We were treated to a great spread, very tasty and definitely hit the spot. Nice to be able to put a few quid into the pot of a very worthy charity at the same time.

After Strood, we passed through the remainder of the Medway towns and then finally out into the glorious Kent countryside, truly the Garden of England. This is always the best part of this ride, particularly at this time of year when the sun is coming up and we are all starting to warm up again after the inevitable cooling off period during the pit stop. There was still no sign of the promised rain and so we pressed on, even forsaking the pleasure of a stop in Faversham market square. Simon lead the charge across the marshes and Whitstable appeared in front of us, showing us its best side on a sunny June morning.

Still it stayed dry and we were all even able to enjoy an al fresco breakfast on the terrace, with beer as an option! Bearing in mind the forecasts we had and remembering some previous Whitstable rides, this was almost to good to be true! A lovely end to a lovely ride. Sometimes you need to do some of the more challenging rides to really truly appreciate the ones like these!

Thanks as usual to all my companions and to Simon (who was last seen staggering around under the weight of a large bag of £2 coins he was carrying!) for his great organisation as usual and to all those who suffered a broken nights sleep to feed us. Hope to see you all again soon.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Great ride, Whitstable in mid summer is hard to beat. It was almost light by the time we left the pitstop.
The ride rolled along at a fine speed, with few mechanicals. The weather was warm, dry and the headwind never showed up.
A few observations:
dont pick a fight with 60 cyclists over the use of cycle lanes, you wont win! Why are some people so angry at 6am on a Saturday morning?
Watching Martin breaking rank when everyone else was riding slowly behind DZ, to the waterfront. He must have realllllllly wanted that fry up.
CarlP enjoys sniffing nice young men! (You had to be there)

Anyway, i'm off to bed now, been up for 39 hours. Thanks to Simon as always.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
1-IMG_0883-001.JPG

This'll do for now more to follow.

GazK

Veteran
A great ride and a fine antidote to the fierce FNRttC initiation I had to Burnham in March. I took Simon's advice and stowed the heroics, and as a result still had a few CCs in the tank - just - by the end. A lovely ride - highlights for me:

- The views of the Thames from the embankment and over London Bridge
- flying under the QE2 bridge at Dartford
- the 5 degrees drop in temperature and total silence as soon as we left the streetlights
- the mad industrial architecture around Sittingbourne
- travelling back to the 18th century beyond Sittingbourne - oast houses, horses, frogs, rabbits
- the flat (thank god) run into Whitstable where I managed to stay with the lead group, mostly
- guilt-free beer at 8am, and having to put my hat on to avoid sunburn
- going to sleep in the sunshine on the Javelin back to London and waking up 10 mins later to a torrential downpour
- not having to call on the wet weather gear I had cautiously packed
- getting my pace right for once

Lowlights - not many, but:
- being forced to a halt by a gurning, threatening drunkard in Woolwich
- realising the heavy lock I had dragged all the way to Whitstable was useless as I had left the key at home (thanks Beebo for the loan of yours)
- almost taking out other riders like ninepins going up that vicious hill after Sittingbourne, as I struggled to control my loaded front end
- getting lost again in London and ending up cycling down Oxford Street. Never again!

A few pics from the night:
DSC_0709.JPG

DSC_0712.JPG
DSC_0718.JPG
DSC_0717.JPG
DSC_0722.JPG

robjh

Legendary Member
This was my first time on a true FNRttC (despite a couple of small-group night rides last year), and it was great. The weather was ideal - I rode in shorts all night and barely felt that dreaded headwind. We saw the sun as a large red ball above the Isle of Grain power station at 5 a.m., and enjoyed unopposed possession of the roads in the quiet dawn all the way to Whitstable and breakfast.
I finished off with an extra 20 miles or so along the coast to Margate, and the rain started within moments of my leaving the Waterfront. I was at last pleased that I had lugged along all my waterproofs, but the storm when it came was short-lived and fairly mild, and half an hour later I was removing rain gear again in the warm sunshine beyond Herne Bay. After a fish'n'chips lunch in Margate I jumped onto HS1, and promptly fell asleep. Including the ride into London on Friday night I did 145 miles over a 22 hour period. I'm going to sleep well tonight.
Thanks to Simon, Susie and the regulars for all the organisation, hope to see many of you on other Friday nights in future.

A few pictures :
20140607 FNRttC Whitstable (1A).jpg
20140607 FNRttC Whitstable (4).JPG
20140607 FNRttC Whitstable (5).JPG
20140607 FNRttC Whitstable (13A).jpg
20140607 FNRttC Whitstable (15).JPG

robjh

Legendary Member
Why are some people so angry at 6am on a Saturday morning?

Drink, IMO (re. the Faversham ranter)

rb58

Enigma
The learning from the rear of the ride.....................

TECing means you don't always get the chance to catch up and ride with people you should. Note to self (1) - must do better.
A smooth exit from London can set the mechanical tone for the ride. We were smooooth.
The Erith by-pass is not the ideal place to repair a puncture, although the passing juggernauts were mostly quite considerate.
I'm beginning to understand @dellzeqq 's aversion to m*dguards. By the time we arrived on the scene @mistral was already well on the way to saving the day.
They were probably Millwall supporters - nobbers!
Fixing a puncture on a clean bike is much nicer than fixing a puncture on a dirty bike.
Was it a stoat, a weasel or a ferret? Either way it was dead and @ianrauk reverently moved it to the side of the road (with his shoe!!)
The @Trickedem gang sure know how to make cake. And ham and cheese rolls. And tea.
Friday nighters make a great snack for the Chatham midges when attending to a blown tyre.
It's amazing what you can do with duck tape. And duct tape.
Gentle encouragement can really help people who are digging deep on the hills. Chapeau.
As someone said, the best way to get through Sittingbourne is either over it, or under it. I guess until that option is provided we'll still have to go through it.
Riding without a front light, in the pitch dark, can be magical. Not that I would do such a thing :whistle:
GoPros work better in daylight. Don't hold your breath for my pictures. Note to self (2) - buy a back up battery
Don't listen to what @PippaG says upthread about the pace on the ride back to London. She's hard as nails.
The Costa Coffee by the Dartford Crossing isn't as bad a place for a few minutes rest as you'd think. (Sorry to leave you there @martint235, but I was badly in need of re-fuelling)

The Graveney Marshes Dash is a tradition. So, when the ace @Agent Hilda released the TECs from their duties after the final turn I decided to make a break for it. Imagine my surprise though to round a bend and see the peloton massed behind our leader like a coiled spring. What was this? Were we laughing in the face of our history? What should I do, hold back and behave or follow @User30090 and @martint235 through? Ultimately of course, there was bacon at stake so through I went trying for all the world to look like I wasn't busting a gut and that 25mph is just my normal cruising speed. (Did I fool anyone?)! Note to self (3) - don't make the break before the Sportsman pub otherwise the very slight drag up the hill into Whitstable can take on epic proportions. I'll concede the Martin beat me to the Waterfront, but in mitigation I cite the traffic lights at the roadworks on the seafront (briefly) and the railway bridge lights in the town (longer). We were at the top of stairs at one minute before 7.30am, which coincidentally was the time they started cooking breakfast. Marvellous!

A Waterfront breakfast, the warm sun, a big bunch of friends and the anticipation of a speedy ride back home. A perfect morning.

As for the SMRbtH, that featured some rain (but not much), a couple punctures, getting lost, the A2, perfect timing in Rochester, and the chance work on my tan lines.

See you on the road sometime.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I had a lovely time, it's such great fun riding along at night through London amongst the sights, the traffic, the late night revellers. The weather was just right, the headwind wasn't energy sapping and the FNRttC riders were great fun and good company, I laughed a lot. I like that.

It was nice to meet @theclaud , @User13710, @User30090, @rb58, @ianrauk (again) @humbert15, @slowmotion and of course our entertaining and ever patient leader @dellzeqq, apologies if I have missed anyone.

Highlights were

• Riding with great company,
  • 3 pi$$ed nobbers
  • The two extravagantly fragranced boys who were "camping it" up a bit for our benefit in Chatam.
  • The shouty lady in Faversham who failed to see the irony of standing in the middle of the road telling 60 cyclists that we should not use the road.
  • The full english breakfast
  • And the Rock and Roll experience of having steamed treacle pudding and custard after the full English at 8am.
  • The nice man who loaned me his pliers to fix the front mech, Ta!
  • Oh yeah...the cycling Banana Man with lazer lights.
I cycled off to my dads in Blean along the C&W way with @humbert15 to arrive through the door just as the heavens opened! Good result.

Many thanks for the company, I had a smashing time.

Top Bottom