FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable June 1st

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User10571

...... with Mickey, User10571, Kevon, Sam, Charlie ......

You cannot name these people and not include the redoubtable Tanya in the list.
She being one of the major contributors to the aforementioned fantastic rate of knots.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I notice that you didn't comment on point 5, Stu.

I did put Stu's rucksack on, to test the weight. It's very heavy. As in not a change of cycling gear heavy. My surmise is that 'Teef is on to him. Anybody seen Gwyneth recently?
5. But you'd need a 30" monitor to do a pic of those thighs justice :smile:

The weight of my rucksack is, despite all these jibes and endless speculation, not excessive. 'Very heavy'..well, considering how little Simon carries, that is relative!! Nope, the breezeblock was left at home, along with the anvil, the workbench and the phone book. And that Mercedes Sprinter definitely wouldn't fit. The copy of Les Miserables and lots of heavy metals, including The Heaviest Matter of the Universe, were in the back pocket of my jersey though on my phone.

StuAff

I notice that you didn't comment on point 5, Stu.

I did put Stu's rucksack on, to test the weight. It's very heavy. As in not a change of cycling gear heavy. My surmise is that 'Teef is on to him. Anybody seen Gwyneth recently?
As I did say to Adrian, I have absolutely nothing against Gwyneth. Her husband makes bloody awful records though.....

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You cannot name these people and not include the redoubtable Tanya in the list.
She being one of the major contributors to the aforementioned fantastic rate of knots.
I'm chastened. Not least because all through the night she used the hills as some kind of testbed for her new 'Lance Armstrong' pedalling technique, and passed us all at about a million miles an hour. Some vague, misplaced male pride had the boys zipping off after her, but frankly, the results were more embarrassing than the intention.

BigGee

Another fantastic ride. The weather not quite as promised, but the rain was never more than drizzle and it was never that cold. I am actually glad I just had the gillet and not the waterproof, it was suffiecient and on the ride home I had stipped right back down again as the sun did eventually come out.

Starting on the south bank was fine, nothing functionally wrong with it and for me, coming from the east even easier and nearer to get to. However having said that I do prefer HPC, it just seems more inspiring a place to start such an adventure and riding down the Mall and the embankment at night is something I will never get tired off no matter how many times I do it. its just a personal opinion, but I'd rather go back.

It was a long slog out of London, unusually, because I was waymarking, a lot of it ridden by myself or in small groups and also at a good pace if you were chasing back. By Gravesend things had settled down and it was the hills that were starting to spread things out but at a more manageable level. The food stop was fantastic, its all been said already, but I can only add my admiration to the people who got up in the middle of the night to help us and then clapped us off. Thanks to all of them.

A very pleseant stop at Faversham market square, where there was food available for those that wanted it and enough time for DZ to point out some interesting architectural features of the local cinema. An improvement I think from standing around waiting in the local graveyard! Then one final hard slog into a stiffening head wind and we were there. Not quite warm enough to sit outside but always a great place to end the ride.

I had resolved to ride back from Whitstable as well this time and was pleased that a warm sit down and a good breakfast did not weaken me. I meet Steve at breakfast who was planning to ride home to Sittingbourne and so I tagged along with him making use of his knowledge of the local roads and avoiding the worst of the hills. He kindly deposites me at the roundabout onto the A2 at the end of Sittingbourne. Now I am sure that I vaguely did know this from long ago history lessons, but the old A2, Watling Street, is an old roman road, something that as I am married to a roman I always feel a bit of an affinity to. These roads are, as the saying goes, very straight, you have really got to ride them to realise just how staight they are, the maps just don't do them justice. It is always good to ride a piece of history.

Some big hills in and out of Chatham and I was just about through the medway towns when I missed a turn and found myself being directed onto the motorway. This caused a bit of backtracking via cycle paths and a loss of time and energy but eventually I got back en route and gravesend and the ferry back accross the water. Again another bit, this time of family history, for me, as my dad used to pilot ships up the Thames to Gravesend and Tilbury so it was interesting for me to have a good close up look at it.

It shouls have been about 25 miles home on the other side which I had hoped would have taken a coupe of hours. But by now I was flagging a bit and the wind had freshen up a lot, especialy down by the river. Up by Brentwood I tried to shave off a few miles by going cross country on some very minor roads and it all went a bit wrong. I spent a while going round in circles and eventually when I got to somewhere I recognised, deceided to cut my losses and headed home that way, despite it being a bit further. I got home just after 4 oclock. My cateye had given up the goast sometime during the night, battery failure I think. The ride should have been around 140 miles for me, but probably nearer 150 with my detours. Comfortably a longest ever day for me, so all in all a very satisfying adventure. I was in bed by half seven and slept till nine this morning!

Lessons to be learnt from this, probably obvious really, but eat enough food and plan your route. I was probably a bit lacking on both of those, or at least I shouls have stuck to the route I had planned and resisted the lure of the short cut! The idea of a sat nav is starting to become a bit more appealing.

So thanks to Simon and everyone once again for a great ride.I am going to do the DD at the end of the month and see how far I can get back from it as well. So will give Southend a miss and will catch up for the Swansea run in July after you are all back and super fit from your LonJOG expedition. I hope I can keep up with you.

Good luck and best wishes to all

Grahame

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
QUOTE="User10571, post: 1874664, member: 10571"]:rofl:

Did you really think that these things went unchecked?
What you refer to as 'the alternative route' is actually the route we would normally use.
The route was ridden twice last week, during the week, to ensure that your night's enjoyment passed (as much as is possible) without incident.
That is when the gravel, you describe so well, was found.
The trade-off for the safer route was, unfortunately, an extra hill.
As you say, deviate from the route at your own peril.:thumbsup:
t.:thumbsup:[/quote]

That's the beauty about working with real pros :thumbsup:

1874882 said:
And, to be fair, the rest of you were. The only one singled out for punishment was me and suffer I did.
Davy-crop-Pot-Luck.jpg

You and Davy make the perfect combo at the end of the ride, Adrian. Sagacious experience meets colourful exuberance and tenacity to create a veritable pas de deux nonpareil. The last thing one wants to do is make a phone call or two, to let Simon know the score.(Davy - being young, gifted and back - has all the skills for telephony. In the past, I have been reduced to 'swiping' my phone with my nose, as it's the only way to get it answered (yes, yes - I need a bigger 'phone) and to have someone else do all that is great.)
On the subject of Stu's rucksack (which could be called 'Deuteronomy' I suppose) it has always been topical. Here, after the Cleethorpes ride, Stu is shown with the breathing apparatus attachment, for his early forays into the submerging cyclist routine. Overall though, Stu carries less weight than I do I guess, so good luck to him. Leaving the pipe and baccy out would lighten the load by a few kgs - which was guesstimated at about 12 - 14kg a couple of years ago, outside Loughborough Station, for an 'AAA'.
York Cleethorpes stu bag.jpg

I forgot to say that I think the staff at the café were their usual brilliant selves - thanks to them. Brian, the cheerful barman was on a later duty so many of you missed his smiling, busy activity. Thanks to all of them.

StuAff

View attachment 9771
On the subject of Stu's rucksack (which could be called 'Deuteronomy' I suppose) it has always been topical. Here, after the Cleethorpes ride, Stu is shown with the breathing apparatus attachment, for his early forays into the submerging cyclist routine. Overall though, Stu carries less weight than I do I guess, so good luck to him. Leaving the pipe and baccy out would lighten the load by a few kgs - which was guesstimated at about 12 - 14kg a couple of years ago, outside Loughborough Station, for an 'AAA'.
View attachment 9775

Nope, definitely not that heavy any more...never mind 'pipe and baccy' (?!!!!), I tend not to use the hydration bladder these days, and the D-lock is generally reserved for higher-risk parking assignments. Five or six kilos, tops....

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Nope, definitely not that heavy any more...never mind 'pipe and baccy' (?!!!!), I tend not to use the hydration bladder these days, and the D-lock is generally reserved for higher-risk parking assignments. Five or six kilos, tops....

Six kilos! For one ride??? My mother has walked the entire length of the Camino de Santiago with less clobber than that!

Top Bottom