FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Cleethorpes 18th June 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm not entirely sure how to do this, but for now.............for the time being experienced FNRttCers only please. I'd like to see how many old hands are going, and, probably fix a limit on May 8th. The number of experienced riders will doubtless have a bearing on our discussions of the route.

Mike E heads the list.
Sig E
John E
Stu A
Andrij B
Mick D
Davy S
Marilyn B
Clive B

Sig SilverPrinter

Me please

Christopher

Über Member
dellzeqq said:
I'm not entirely sure how to do this, but for now.............for the time being experienced FNRttCers only please. I'd like to see how many old hands are going, and, probably fix a limit on May 8th. The number of experienced riders will doubtless have a bearing on our discussions of the route.
I think you are being unfair, limiting this ride to an elite (for the moment) :laugh:. In any case, how exactly can you say who can and cannot come on your rides, seeing as it is on public roads? The only thing I can think of is limiting the numbers of people who turn up at cafes that have agreed to open specially for the ride.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Frustruck said:
I think you are being unfair, limiting this ride to an elite (for the moment) :biggrin:. In any case, how exactly can you say who can and cannot come on your rides, seeing as it is on public roads? The only thing I can think of is limiting the numbers of people who turn up at cafes that have agreed to open specially for the ride.
That was exactly my reaction too! It comes across as "If we can get enough good riders then plebs need not apply, but if the response isn't good enough then we might allow a few of you to join us to make the numbers up"!

If you are going to organise your own little private club then why don't you just PM each other about it and leave the rest of CycleChat out of it altogether?

It's not the kind of ride that I do, but if it was you'd have put me right off...

For the non-elite CycleChat members who fancy an inclusive ride in Yorkshire - I'll organise something for either the first or second weekend in May! :laugh:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Frustruck and Colin, it just isn't like that. Simon (and most of the 'elite' as you put it would agree) likes to keep the balance right between those with experience of this kind of riding and/or mechanical knowledge, and newbies. 2AM in the sticks isn't a good time to find out the chap who's just had a puncture hasn't got any spare tubes and no-one else has anything to fit. Those of us who've done one or two FNRttCs or more know the drill- bring spare batteries, really good lights, tubes, a pump...That way we can look after ourselves in the event of a problem, and each other. I've ended up with two non-functioning front lights and was able to borrow a working solution from someone else. As for the registration- the mantra is that no-one gets left behind, and it helps if you know who's coming, if they're running late...and the cafes not unreasonably want an idea of how many people they'll be catering for.
It certainly isn't a private club in any way shape or form. I 'joined' for one thing- and I'm way more pleb than elite. We had 55 'non-elite' riders on our last outing......

Hilarious stuff and not even a page gone! :biggrin:

I'm not riding with the likes of mikee - not on your bleedin' nelly like, right?

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't get in the group anyway due to lack of expedience - oh damn, 'experience' :laugh: Oh bother - I'll just cross that bridge when I come to it eh?

Lighten up Frustruck and Colin, you're both better than that! Read through the other Friday Night threads (last month's is a good pointer) and see how a usual ride is managed* - nothing to do with exclusion.

*Which will include aspects of group safety, formal registration etc

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Okay, fair enough! :laugh:

I have to admit that I haven't actually read those ride threads because I don't have time to read everything on CC and those rides take place miles from here. Sounds like they might be worth a read though so I'll dip into them later.

I admit that having people turn up and get out of their depth in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night wouldn't be much fun. I can also see that these rides are very well organised.

The original post came across as being a bit elitist, but I can see that it wasn't meant that way. It was just part of the organisation process.

When I organise rides up here, I take responsibility for planning the routes, finding shops/cafes that will be open and I do the navigating. I'd be prepared to help out if somebody was struggling to get a tyre off/on but I do assume that riders carry spares and know how to use them and would be pretty miffed if somebody turned up without them. TBH - I'd never thought of specifying that, I just took it for granted.

My rides are slow but the hills make them hard. We go at the speed of the slowest (often me!). I always emphasise the degree of difficulty so we don't get people coming along who can't cope. I suppose that it will happen one day and if it does then we will have to either cut the ride short or send the ailing rider back in a taxi if we are at the most distant point on the route!

I've never got along with night riding so I won't be joining you, but have a good ride folks!

Top Bottom