FNRttC Fridays Mini tour: London to Paris, July 23-25

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
It's a bike for a titch.
Indeed so.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
A few more things regarding the French bit of the ride:

- We'll have to leave early on Sunday to make it to Paris in time for @mllond and @wanda2010 's Eurostar. We should be on the road by 7.45 am, as we are talking about 140km. I expect us to arrive at the Gare du Nord after about 10 hours. I have been in touch with the landlady at the Abbaye in Saint Saens and made sure that everyone staying there can get an early breakfast at 7am. @StuAff , as you are staying elsewhere, can you make sure you also get an early breakfast? *Edit: Or are you not riding into Paris with us, but going back to Le Havre, Stu?

- I have tweaked the route after Gisors, so we'll avoid the nasty, straight and busy road. This adds about 7km to the route, elevation is similar. Unless the weather is a complete nightmare, or we are running terribly tight on time, I plan to use the slightly longer alternative.

- The boulangerie at Morgny, 44km after Saint Saens where we traditionally stop for elevenses, is open on a Sunday, too. We probably should buy some food for a later pic nic lunch, as rural parts of France on a Sunday can be very quiet.

- As a contingency plan, there are trains from Pontoise (around 35 or so km north of Paris) to Gare du Nord every half hour. So should we run terribly late, Mary and Sonia can jump on a train to make their Eurostar.

Last edited:

wanda2010

Guru
Olaf, you are a star!

Writing this from work with incomplete information re trains but can easily get the last Eurostar (2113) or leave the next morning. I want to enjoy my ride without the stress of missing my current train. When I get home tonight, I'll investigate cost of the options and a hotel room. Will book the Monday as holiday, just in case.
^_^:okay:

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I'm surprised that you had to be tough with Isabelle in Saint Saens, she is very sweet and helpful and knows us of old! We have had breakfast even earlier than that in the past, and the only thing we didn't get was fresh croissants, because it was too early for them to be available. The home-made yoghurt is delicious.
sorry, that was a typo. Should read: "I have been in touch"

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@redfalo Yes, I'm going to Le Havre for the ferry home. Thinking I'll get up early anyway, see you off & perhaps get a few miles in, head back to the B&B for breakfast and then have a reasonably gentle ride southwest. It's only 62 miles or so.

wanda2010

Guru
A slight change to my plans. I'm staying in Paris overnight on Sunday, getting a early afternoon train on Monday. I thought it would be rude to travel all that way and not go for, at least, a short stroll. Aided and abetted by my work friends, I hit the buttons on amended train, hotel and bike spots. Thankfully the hotel is about a 15 minute walk from Gare du Nord, so I'll drop the bike off Sunday evening and it will arrive in London at some point on Monday.

:wahhey::wahhey:

Top Bottom