FNRttC Fridays Mini tour: London to Paris, July 23-25

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
y
Are you thinking of waving the ferry off from a convenient pub? In which case I just might be tempted to join you.
yes, we'll have breakfast at a nice Italian café which is serving beer in the morning.

TimO

Guru
I'm probably up for this, as a ride from London to Newhaven. I've done it a couple of times before, and it's not a bad ride. It's basically the ride to Brighton, only without Ditchling, and then you can amble along the seafront to Brighton, and get a train back to London.

TimO

Guru
The A259 along the seafront is fairly horrible. Once you get towards Brighton you can divert down to the Undercliff Walk, and cycle half the route along there, but I wondered if it's possible to get from here near to Newhaven, to here, missing out another 1½ miles of the A259? Looking at Google it looks like it may be possible, but I wondered if anyone with more local knowledge knows if it's sensible?

small.php?size=400&file=NewhavenCoastPath.jpg

hatler

Guru
Our friends in Brighton apparently did exactly that - Brighton to the Newhaven ferry without any nasty-road grief.

If no-one else fills in the details here in the meantime I'll ask them for the route details.

hatler

Guru
I was about to say "I'm sure TMN will know the way."

TimO

Guru
No, the undercliff doesn't start there. You'd be cycling along the beach! There is a National Cycle Route through the back streets of Peacehaven, but it's an awful faff for anyone who isn't that bothered by a bit of traffic. The main road through Peacehaven isn't that bad, and then there's an adjacent cycle path that leads to the descent onto the undercliff itself.

Yes, I know the Undercliff Walk, but this section looks to be of a similar construction, at least from the point-of-view of Googles aircraft. Now, it's only for about 1½ miles of the A259, but it was more a case of curiousity. The western end looks like it's an actual road (or wide path) down to the path, but the eastern end looks like there's a set of steps going down the cliff, which may be too much of a faff with bicycles.

OpenStreetMaps also labels it as (the/a ?) Undercliff Walk, and specifies that access is allowed for pedestrians, cyclists and horses, but not motor vehicles.

NewhavenUndercliffWalk1.png

NewhavenUndercliffWalk2.png

TimO

Guru
How much would it cost to continue the under cliff all the way to Newhaven.

Looking at Google, it would appear that there's are two gaps of 800m each, either side of Portobello Sewage Works, but otherwise there is already Undercliff Walk from just west of Newhaven to Brighton Marina, around 6 miles of it. The section from Saltdean to the Marina is obviously the most substantial and useful, but it looks suspiciously like other parts are being considered.

I wonder if the Sewage works are a problem, because it may be that they don't want to allow the public access to that short section, effectively making it impossible to continue the Undercliff Walk along that section ?

TimO

Guru
I bet they followed the aforementioned NCR signs, which lead one for miles round admittedly quiet but pitted and lengthy back streets of bungalowland.

I did go that way once, and it was characterless horribleness. The A259 was easier and faster, if a little overly motorised.

TimO

Guru
If TMN doesn't investigate it sooner, it may be worthy of a brief foray working west from Newhaven toward London bound trains, after my ride to breakfast. I'm quite curious now! :smile:

Top Bottom