Friend gave me a (1970's?) Falcon Black Diamond. Going in for restoration and repairs. What a beauty.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

collecite

received_418462952800860.jpeg
IMG_20210126_132922604_LI.jpg

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
I have never owned a Falcon Black Diamond, and this is a nice bike, but the Black Diamonds I remember had no brazings for gear and brake-cable stops and had a wrap-around seat stay where the wrapped section was reduced in diameter from the stay but remained cylindrical, unlike many others at the time where the wrapped portion was flattened. As I say, a nice bike, especially that elegant fork-rake, but are you sure it is a Falcon Black Diamond?

Has it been repainted? Falcons had plentry of graphics and the olympic Ernie Clements head badge. Most BDs has cable clamps but a few models seem to gave braze ons.
Apparently the brand was called falcoln because when the founders bought out a local frame factory they found a bunch of transfers already printed with the name and it sounded OK so they used them.

midlife

Guru
Falcon used the Black Diamond moniker over many years and kept the name even if the specs changed. The earlier the Black Diamond the better the frame / kit.

Strangely the most common colour was red or purple. There was a yellow one I think but yellow was an unpopular colour so the boss would never stock them (or maybe one). Sometimes had wrapround seat stays, sometimes had Carlton Flyer type lugs. Chrome half forks came and went and came back again lol.

Typical Falcon "Forrest Gump box of chocolates", you never knew what you were going to get :smile:

Top Bottom