Frightening truck "safety video"...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
but lets also see the education for truckers
There is! It's called CPC (Certificate of Professional Competency) which involves 40 hours of "training" every 5 years. It's the biggest farce ever. Just another way of creating a few jobs, at the expense of drivers. It's been covered on here before but basically it does not involve any practical training on the road; simply sit in a classroom and listen to BS about drivers hours regulations, first aid, load security, daily checks, the role of VOSA, etc. etc.. Mostly stuff that any self respecting driver should already know like the back of his hand. You can actually qualify by doing the SAME module (e.g. first aid) five times. Absolutely farcical. In my case it cost £350 for the course, and that's not taking into account the 5 days lost wages - so in reality it cost £700 +.. There is no exam or assessment either; all you have to do is be there for the duration of the course. You can choose to sit sleeping in a corner every day if you so desire.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Any of our lorry drivers been told similar?
It's part of the learner training, for your test! If you DON'T do what you've just described for a left turn (unless the road you are turning into is extremely wide) then your trailer is going to take the shorter route and cut over the pavement, taking with it railings, signs, traffic lights etc..

Brandane

Legendary Member
. If the left side of the ASL was not a safe place to be, he should effectively close it off.
You mean this bit? Sorry, I was just being silly :okay:.
I would also try to block off the ASL, but if there are 3 lanes as you describe, and the lorry is straddling 2 of them, you are inevitably going to be leaving a gap on your nearside wide enough for a cyclist to be able to pass through. I can only try and make my intention to turn left from a wide position as obvious as possible, and then rely on the road sense of others....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I thought the point of Adrian's post was that the driver had been told to deliberately encroach on the ASL when he stopped at the lights. I'd be surprised if that was part of any driving test.
But if it came down to it I would rather a driver who was thinking about the potential problems than one assuming the cyclist had to take all the responsibility for their safety. That doesn't make it right, just at least aware.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I thought the point of Adrian's post was that the driver had been told to deliberately encroach on the ASL when he stopped at the lights. I'd be surprised if that was part of any driving test.
I don't see the need to encroach on the ASL.. You can block off the access to it (as much as is possible; see previous post) without actually entering it. Crossing the first STOP line when the lights are at red would result in a failure of your test.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'd be surprised if that was part of any driving test.
I'd be surprised if Tesco's were training their drivers to do something illegal which could result in points on the driver's licence. If I was driving for Tesco, I wouldn't be doing that whether they recommend it or not. It's illegal and it's MY licence, not theirs.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
As a cyclist living in central London I get plenty of lorries, buses, coaches, trucks, vans, taxis, cars pulling up along my right hand side when I'm waiting at a junction. Not sure why that would make me a moronic halfwit?

You read my post wrong.
If you're there first then fair enough, nothing wrong in that.
But if the waggon is there first with the blinkers going and the wheels turned to go left and then you park up the inside of it, then you're a moronic halfwit. Even if it looks as if the waggon is going straight ahead I'll sit behind it. Lots of folk seem to have forgotten how to indicate.
The number of youtube vids I see of 'cyclists' filtering up a gap of 2 feet between two big heavy moving buses leads me to think that moronic halfwits are in abundance in London.
I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
How many YouTube videos? Can you find links for them so we can see what you see?
Not at the moment. Going camping with the missus later so I've not got time.
They're easy enough to find. Google is your friend.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 4201349, member: 9609"]...
in the last video the puddlejumper is indicating to turn left and the cyclist who are going straight ahead are still undertaking![/QUOTE]
The Must Get In Front mentality is alive and well in all modes of transport, it seems.

The Must Get In Front mentality is alive and well in all modes of transport, it seems.

We are all the same
Tulse Hill:

LorryBridge0909a.jpg

That bridge has been driven into by HGV drivers sixteen times in the last 6 months:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...or-16th-time-in-just-six-months-a3206601.html

Must be in the blind spot.

drcrq1.jpg

Top Bottom