Frightening!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
The policeman makes two serious errors:

1. He calls the accident in as 'vehicle vs. pedestrian'. In no US state is a cyclist considered a pedestrian under the law.

2. He accepts the woman's story that the cyclist was swerving out from behind the police car. When the accident happened, the cyclist was waaay out in the middle lane - probably setting up for a left turn.

Typical that the woman who hit the cyclist was not even cited for dangerous driving. Even if her story was true, she had the responsibility to pass the cyclist carefully - you don't whizz past a 'weaving' cyclist at that speed - you slow down because you can see him riding erratically. Ridiculous!

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have seen this before but never the whole incident. It is very interesting, but obviously devastating for the cyclist.

Just as Ian has said above, by how far the cyclist was out, he was clearly turning left. He wouldnt be giving the police car that much room if he was simply passing it.

However, the question now stands: Did the cyclist indicate? Was he concentrating on the vehicle behind him as he passed the police car? Why didnt the car driver see him? Why was the car going so fast?
If the passenger saw that the cyclist shoulder checked, why didnt they warn the driver?

WTF is wrong with this officer? Obviously he was in shock from the incident but his training should have kicked in and he should have been concentrating on the safety of the cyclist first. Not just stand around for a little.
The scene was a 'crime scene' and he shouldnt have directed the car to move. He could have shut down the road until a full investigation had taken place. Instead he devoted his attention to the original reason he stopped at the side of the road and kept insisting that the two guys were cited for having a broken windsheild? (Granted, the 'no license' was fairly bad)

BTW, why was the officer so scared of the occupants of the car he stopped? At what point had they showed any sign of either agression or danger to anyone. The first instance the officer gets out of his car, he moves to the back of the vehicle and demands that the occupants put their hands in front of them. EVEN THE PASSENGER?

I think this officer needs to have a good look at his priorities and use common sense a bit more.

(I am a bit grotchy and it is 6.30am and I havent got any sleep. Sorry for the rant)

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I got the impression that the officer maybe knew/had come across the occupants of the original car before as he did say that they were local residents of..... somewhere.

The policeman makes two serious errors:

1. He calls the accident in as 'vehicle vs. pedestrian'. In no US state is a cyclist considered a pedestrian under the law.

That's what I wondered too. It seemed like odd terminology to use. Also, he said to the camera that the rider would have back or spinal injuries.... right in front of the guy. If I had been compus mentus enough at that point, what he just said would have done anything but comfort me.

Typical that the woman who hit the cyclist was not even cited for dangerous driving. Even if her story was true, she had the responsibility to pass the cyclist carefully - you don't whizz past a 'weaving' cyclist at that speed - you slow down because you can see him riding erratically. Ridiculous!

I can only assume she was charged later when they saw the film.

Ian Cooper

Expat Yorkshireman
BTW, why was the officer so scared of the occupants of the car he stopped?

I think probably every police officer in the US has seen the documentary "The Thin Blue Line" or the movie "Electra Glide in Blue". They are all scared shitless that the next simple traffic stop for a minor infraction will end up with them taking a bullet.

By the way, I dread to think of what might happen if that officer was ever called upon to chase a criminal on foot. It's incredible to me that they allow people that out of shape to remain police officers.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
By the way, I dread to think of what might happen if that officer was ever called upon to chase a criminal on foot. It's incredible to me that they allow people that out of shape to remain police officers.

I thought the majority of people in North America were the size of small elephants anyway though, so he wouldn't be too out of place.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I agree. It is not insulting or cruel to not allow people this unfit to not be allowed in certain jobs but I think in this situation, the cameraman would probably have a better chance of catching them if they did run.

In this country, even PCSO's have to pass vigourous fitness tests in order to be accepted. But saying that, the mass majority of the US is full of fat people who are overweight. I suppose the government need to stretch their arms and get some fat people to do jobs to make sure the government dont look like they are against the overweight (which pretty much everyone is but we dont have the gut to force them to get fit or to makke them try harder to lose weight).

BTW, I am glad you said it first because I doubt many people would have.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I came across this!:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq5fUG2FILk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OMG I just watched the vid you posted on saturday I cant believe plod didnt try to protect the cyclist with a car while waiting for the ambulance, :wacko: and how he still persues his initial stop. :ph34r: Surely the driver that splattered the cyclist needs dealing with. I was quite impressed with how calm he stayed, just a bit phased by his priorities :blink:

I think probably every police officer in the US has seen the documentary "The Thin Blue Line" or the movie "Electra Glide in Blue". They are all scared shitless that the next simple traffic stop for a minor infraction will end up with them taking a bullet.

If that officer was called upon to chase a criminal he would shoot them, case closed, no lawyer fees to pay.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I didnt see a problem with the policeman being so cautious, British police tend to be very cautious about people having knives in a similar way. Our police dont seem to have to be particularly fit either once theyve got in, some seem to train a bit for their enterance exam and then slack somewhat.

Horrible accident though, I was suprised the cop didnt use his car to at least block off the cyclist. Could he have used the camero too?

Miquel In De Rain

No Longer Posting
f&ck sake.Awful.

BTW, why was the officer so scared of the occupants of the car he stopped? At what point had they showed any sign of either agression or danger to anyone. The first instance the officer gets out of his car, he moves to the back of the vehicle and demands that the occupants put their hands in front of them. EVEN THE PASSENGER?
I think this officer needs to have a good look at his priorities and use common sense a bit more.
(I am a bit grotchy and it is 6.30am and I havent got any sleep. Sorry for the rant)

Because any of them may pull a gun in about a second?

630am? Late start then?:whistle: God,I've been left hooked on the way to work earlier than that.:wacko: .

Cyclists also carry guns!

I would not suggest it as a thread in "Commuting" but you often see "which is the best handgun for cycling " threads on US sites

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
That was horrific to watch. It says to me how hard people seem to find it to read the road in front of them. Did he swerve, or were the driver and the passengers staring at the police stop on the right?

It makes you wonder what the follow up was, how was the rider, were any charges brought etc???

Top Bottom