From accident to recovery to court...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham1426

Fair point..

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
That's for the replies!

Totally on the mend- if you've ever separated a shoulder it's a slow, painful recovery process (ligaments are a tricky business!) but one that's also character building.

It could've been much worse in so many respects, feel I was actually quite lucky considering. Blown away by the amount of nice messages I received and offers to help when I was incapacitated for a few days directly afterwards. One mate actually traveled down from Walthamstow to Balham, picked up my lock keys, traveled to St Thomas's Hospital (Westminster), picked up my bike they'd locked outside, convinced a taxi to take it in the back of the cab to mine, brought it back with some shopping and headed back to Walthamstow!

If I do receive any compensation, a nice amount will be placed firmly behind the bar for all those that helped and wished me well.

Funnily enough I'd say the experience has yielded more positives than negatives. Despite this not being my fault and being a well seasoned cycle commuter, it's made me more aware of some of the irrational things a driver can potentially do and enhanced my awareness as a result. I've emerged fitter, smarter, more grateful for what I have and more determined to keep pushing myself!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Horrible incident, hope you don't suffer long term problems.
As others have said, I find this extraordinarily lenient. He left the scene of a collision, not knowing whether you were seriously injured or worse. I presume he didn't report it to the police either.

Jezston

Über Member
thefollen: do you have any idea why the court was so lenient on the driver? Leaving the scene of an accident at the very least should result in a big smack down. Were they all very polite and middle class and I swear I never saw them oh I am so sorry what will my kids do without me check out this special handshake?

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Thanks benb. Hopefully my shoulder will continue to improve, already lifting more on it than before the incident in certain exercises but my bench press is currently slightly light! No issues with running/cycling/moderate impact.

Hi Jezston, no idea- wasn't invited to the hearing. I was hoping to have my day in court (I'd already informed the met as to my availability if necessary) where I'd see the fella face to face and give my side, but it was all wrapped up at the initial hearing. As for the chap himself I honestly couldn't say- didn't see him, the hired BMW had relatively dark windows and it happened really quickly. No clues regarding age or occupation even. All I have is a name and address provided by the police. Upon researching the name it's very likely he's of Nigerian origin, but that doesn't tell me anything and I don't fancy staking out the address to get a visual :-) Did feel leaving the scene maybe would have been treated with a higher degree of severity but hey, when I see the 'Traffic Cops' programs I'm always stunned at how light a sentence some of the perps receive for drug offences, driving whilst disqualified, running away from the Police, dangerous driving etc. Could've been a first offence...

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Glad to hear your feeling better. I suffered the same injury a month later than you. I'm still getting some pain when doing certain things. And suffer shoulder pain when cycling more than 10 mile on my road bike. Initially the car drivers insurance were arguing liability, but they have now changed there mind and accepting liability. I'm now in the process of sorting out the amount of costs involved with bike repairs and other things, to try and arrange an interim payment. Then it'll be sorting out the compensation.

DougieAB

Getting the messages
I have to admire your outlook on the accident 'one that's also character building'. Lesson on how to take a negative and make it a positive. Well done to you, hope there is no lasting damage done.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Thanks DougieAB! Certain all will be good :-)

Glad to hear your feeling better. I suffered the same injury a month later than you. I'm still getting some pain when doing certain things. And suffer shoulder pain when cycling more than 10 mile on my road bike. Initially the car drivers insurance were arguing liability, but they have now changed there mind and accepting liability. I'm now in the process of sorting out the amount of costs involved with bike repairs and other things, to try and arrange an interim payment. Then it'll be sorting out the compensation.

I remember your post, think the cold can make it ache a bit too. Did you have surgery? Mine was 50/50 but they decided against it.

Have you been doing physio exercises and hit the gym at all? First time I gymmed it for a weights sesh it was rather painful (4th October- approx 3 months after incident), esp on the seated chest press where it felt as though if I pushed it the ligaments wouldn't hold. Left it a couple of weeks and the sessions slowly got heavier and more frequent (do about 2 a week). During the first few sessions it's a little funny and can ache a little (although not too aggressively) but improves a little every time! Naturally stop at the pain barrier if it feels too great. Sure a physio will give you all the correct advice, but gym exercises whilst looking in the big mirrors are great as you can ensure your shoulder posture is correct. Especially shrugs- you really set your shoulders.

Also have added a weekly 5k row on the Concept2 to all the other bits I do. Great for bringing those back muscles into play again.

It's a tricky one as every shoulder sep is different (for instance my right shoulder is now slightly farther forward than the other). Buuut sticking at the weights and strengthening those ligaments you'll find that the pain won't be there when cycling anymore.

Wish you all the best in your recovery- hopefully it will get completely better!

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I haven't had any surgery as I don't want to go under the knife. But I'm still not entirely happy with my shoulder but that may improve with time. When you damage something like that I dont think it will ever be the same again. My partner broke her shoulder in a horse riding accident. She still gets pain now and again. More so during the winter as like you say it aches more in the cold weather.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had surgery on my shoulder 12 months ago - following an accident 2 years prior to that (3 years total). Still having physio on it, and doing 'light' weights (therabands) and some free weights at home. My trapezius on the affected shoulder is now larger than the right (as a result of over compensation). The surgery made my pain much worse, and it's only getting back to pre-surgery pain now. My biggest issue is nerve damage, and myofacial pain (trigger points inflamed) as my left side muscles around the shoulder and my upper back are like concrete compared to the right - so tight. I'm on the waiting list for steriod & anaesthetic injections into the affected muscles, and may yet have to take a muscle relaxent Baclofen, on top of my nerve drugs.

Really need to get into the gym and build the shoulder up, but I've never been 'big' on the gym - bores me, hence I try and fit in the free weights (various dumbell exercises).

Oh and yes, I agree, your shoulder is unlikely to be 100% - I've been told a possible 75% improvement within 3 years, so will always have problems - my solicitor now has to work that all out.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Sounds a proper ordeal fossyant, shoulders are a minefield- such a complex junction of muscles, bones and ligaments. What did you do originally? Hope they sort it out.

Guess I was really fortunate (much as you can be) with the impact in that I detached cleanly from my bike (toeclips), bounced off the side back onto my backpack and popped straight up to my feet. The shoulder initial impact was the only point of injury (was a hit on the car's side at circa 20mph with my shoulder flat on). I only weigh about 10 stone also (probably 11ish with pack).

Have you chaps tried rowing machines? Not sure how it would go with the nerve damage but is almost like a more fun version of the therabands (the one where you hook it on the door handle and pull back).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was hit by a car - took the impact with left shoulder on the A pillar, was then flipped and landed on my head and shoulder - I was doing about 15, and the car about 30. Mine was AC joint strain, but quickly identified as shoulder impingement - which was eventually decompressed (took some persistance). Pain from the op has been much worse than the accident, although I am mechanically much better. The op decompressed my shoulder, bit of work round the a/c joint and then tidied up my bicep sling (tendon) - think it was a bit torn.

My main issue now is pulling hard on the bars - pain shoots into my shoulder - e.g. climbing 1 in 6 or steeper (lots round here) so have to be careful. It's getting better, just being careful due to the legal issues. My nerve damage is basically pain/burning in the hand and arm - I've fortunately not lost any movement or strength.

OP
OP
thefollen

thefollen

Veteran
Wow sounds a nasty collision. Sounds silly but you don't realise just how hard cars are until you hit or are hit by one. With a cyclist there's no give due to weight differences.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Wow sounds a nasty collision. Sounds silly but you don't realise just how hard cars are until you hit or are hit by one. With a cyclist there's no give due to weight differences.

Yes they come a bit sharp lol does your clavicle still move about? Can you move it forwards and backwards or has it stabilised now. Mine still moves about, if I try and do push ups I get sharp pains. Pull ups are worse, but I suppose trying to lift 15 and a half stone up is going to hurt it lol

Top Bottom