From flats to Clipless pedals!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Up to recently always used road clipless apart from replacing the cleats when worn only problem i had was when going into cafes with tiled (wet) floors, nearly came to greath a few times.
Started using shimano MTB pedals and shoes and tbh dont notice any difference when cycling (slightly different cliping in), walking is so much safer, my advice on pedals unless racing etc would be just buy the m520 pedals not worth paying a lot more for more expensive pedals as m520s last great (according to cycling friends) and some makes of MTB pedals might not last as long?

TempleDancer

Another vote for the M520s.

We should get this out of the way now however... you are going to fall over whilst clipped in at least once in your life.

I know, I know, "Not me.." you think, "I'll keep reminding myself..." you say. I was the same. Trouble free cycling for weeks. Then one day I left the office, cycled to the front of the cars queing to get out of the car park, stopped to wait for a gap in traffic and just pitched over like a listing ship until I lay on the cold wet ground, my shame played out to dozens of bored motorists.

It's a low point in my life, that is undeniable, but I feel I'm a better man now because of it.

OP
OP
Scott addict

Scott addict

We should get this out of the way now however... you are going to fall over whilst clipped in at least once in your life.

I know, I know, "Not me.." you think, "I'll keep reminding myself..." you say. I was the same. Trouble free cycling for weeks. Then one day I left the office, cycled to the front of the cars queing to get out of the car park, stopped to wait for a gap in traffic and just pitched over like a listing ship until I lay on the cold wet ground, my shame played out to dozens of bored motorists.

It's a low point in my life, that is undeniable, but I feel I'm a better man now because of it.
Even the pros fall its part of cycling.as long as no injuries sustained just smile a carry on.

Gunk

Guru
From the the title, I though you had sold your buy to let empire and we’re buying pedals with the proceeds. :wacko:

Nebulous

Guru

I made an uninformed decision to go for spd-sl pedals and cleats when I started and have just stuck with them. I try not to walk.

It hasn’t happened for a long time, but I fell repeatedly when I first got them. I once fell off at a junction just beside a man walking along the pavement. I crossed the junction, hit a line of traffic where I had to stop and fell off again, right beside the same guy. The strangest ones are where you unclip on one side and fall the other way. The loose leg waggles in the air helpless while the one you need remains firmly stuck to the pedal.

The strangest ones are where you unclip on one side and fall the other way. The loose leg waggles in the air helpless while the one you need remains firmly stuck to the pedal.

I been using clipless for years but still can only unclip and dismount on the left side. For some (psychological/left-right side of the brain communication fail) reason I can't dismount to the right.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I been using clipless for years but still can only unclip and dismount on the left side. For some (psychological/left-right side of the brain communication fail) reason I can't dismount to the right.
Yet I'm the opposite. Right foot unclipper and mounter here...:okay:

simongt

Guru
For some (psychological/left-right side of the brain communication fail) reason I can't dismount to the right.
Dismounting to the left is somethng I've done for as long as I can remember. Don't know why. I can go right, but it doesn't 'feel right' for whatever reason. And when I'm hurling a bike, I always do it with the bike on my right.

Mike_P

Guru
Examples of footedness in the same way you have left or right footed footballers.

If you are say right footed then it's natural to keep that on the ground while the left foot tackles the bike first. Dismounting or stopping then the right foot hits the ground first.

C R

Guru
Examples of footedness in the same way you have left or right footed footballers.

If you are say right footed then it's natural to keep that on the ground while the left foot tackles the bike first. Dismounting or stopping then the right foot hits the ground first.
I'm extremely handed, or should that be footed, I can't start pedaling with my right foot, only with my left. I wonder how common that is.

Top Bottom