From flats to Clipless pedals!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott addict

I'm looking for advice easiest pedals to clip in and out of?
Are the shimano MTB a good choice for my first clipless pedals?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Yep, Shimano PD-M520 are perfectly fine. I personally like the multi release rather than single release cleats so I can twist the foot either way and usually even release if you yank in a panic in an unexpected stop. Even set at loosest setting I have never unclipped accidentally. SH56 rather than SH51 that normally come with the pedals, but you may be perfectly fine with them.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Couple of thoughts. The Shimano ones are very good value to try out the idea. The mountain bike 2-bolt style, as others have said, allow you to walk in the shoes, so I've only used this type. I've had forgotten-shoes days in the office with no problem. Also when I go cycling I'm normally going to visit somewhere, so I will be walking around. I'd not bother with the half-and-half style with the flat bit on the other side - I tried a pair and they were always the wrong way up ! You can get accessory flats to clip into the cleats if you ever need to cycle in normal shoes. I now use crank brothers four sided ones, where the pedal is just a peg effectively. These are easier still to clip into. However the crank brothers pedals are very overpriced, and not as long lasting as they should be.

simongt

Guru
I've been using Shimano M-515 & M-520 for years now and never had an issue with either. :thumbsup: Start on a loose setting and increase the tension as you increasingly feel comfortable with the system.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I've been using Shimano M-515 & M-520 for years now and never had an issue with either. :thumbsup: Start on a loose setting and increase the tension as you increasingly feel comfortable with the system.
Same here, but M520 and M540 pedals. I've used them for 20 plus years now with no problems.

Mike_P

Guru
Shimano make adaptors to allow SPDs to be used on road shoes, a couple of versions with the SPD recessed aka mountain bike shoes and one version not which probably are only suitable for use on shoes bring used on indoor trainer / spinning sessions

C R

Guru
Those look quite good, how long have you been using them?
Only about a month. They are very light, supple and comfortable. They are a bit narrow, so had to get 1 size up, which may not work for everyone, but seems to be a common problem with cycling shoes.

The sole is not rigid, though, and you need to cut out a section of the sole to have access to the cleat screws, but trivial to do.

I'm happy with them, but have never had any clipless shoes, so you could say that I don't know any better.

Top Bottom