From the wonderfull Warrington

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I used to ride via A560 Altrincham, A56, turn right through Dunham B5160, (I went B5158 to Appleton at this point) A6144 Lymm, then over the M6, A56, B5157, Thellwall, you can then head into Warrington through Latchford.

How's that sound.....

Lots of dark lanes though from Dunham, but pleasant !

GFamily

Über Member
Well, we are shown in a good light on ITN news, and I thought you all might like to see the views of some of the dickhead cage drivers I share my roads with.
http://forum.warring...opic.php?t=1041

If some cyclists ignore the law when it comes to red lights and inconsiderate pavement cycling, where is the moral high ground when it comes to complaining about driver phone use and inconsiderate overtakes?

I see proportionately as many dickhead cyclists as dickhead motorists - probably more, come to that.

campbellab

If some cyclists ignore the law when it comes to red lights and inconsiderate pavement cycling, where is the moral high ground when it comes to complaining about driver phone use and inconsiderate overtakes?

I see proportionately as many dickhead cyclists as dickhead motorists - probably more, come to that.

I doubt it. You will see much more speeding drivers than you ever see cyclists on the road :smile:

GFamily

Über Member
I doubt it. You will see much more speeding drivers than you ever see cyclists on the road :smile:

Personally, on my city centre commute I think I see more cyclists who inconsiderately ride on pavements and jump red lights than I see motorists exceeding the speed limits.

But the point I'm making is that if cyclists ignore (or seem to condone the breaking of) laws regarding their use of the road, what is the basis for complaining about the illegal or inconsiderate behaviours by motorists?

OvertheHill

Über Member
Personally, on my city centre commute I think I see more cyclists who inconsiderately ride on pavements and jump red lights than I see motorists exceeding the speed limits.

But the point I'm making is that if cyclists ignore (or seem to condone the breaking of) laws regarding their use of the road, what is the basis for complaining about the illegal or inconsiderate behaviours by motorists?

You have a point but I would suggest that inconsiderate behaviour by cyclists is highly unlikely to result in serious injury to anyone else. Cars on the other hand...

I commute daily into Manchester. I occasionally see cyclists creep through red lights. However, almost without fail, at least one car will go through EVERY set of lights on red (not amber). Almost without fail, I will see half a dozen or so people using their mobiles - usually texting below the window line where they think they can't be seen. In fact, if the police ever needed to get their quota's up they could go to the junction on Bury New Road in Prestwich where M&S is and just take the numbers of cars that go through on red because it's regular as clockwork

Hicky

Guru
Cheadle Hulme

You've a choice really, if you're happy with your route to Warby bridge you could turn right on the A57 towards Cadishead then left down dam lane/school lane(just before the lights towards Glazebrook) which takes you to Gorse Covert(near Birchwood( depends where in Birchwood you need really).

Or take a left on the A57 over the M6(fast roads and not too wide, I've used them and it can be hairy), as you say you could use the dual carridgeways but if you carry on a little further into Warrington and use Gig lane/ Longbarn lane there is a track that runs along the rail line back to Birchwood, it would mean carrying your bike over the footbridge but it would bring you out at the shopping centre.

If you decide to use the route mentioned to Latchford look for the new footpath cycle track along the mersey or along the bridgecanal to Woolston....V plesant!

Hope this helps....oh its my first post:thumbsup:

Great 1st post Hicky - Welcome to Cyclechat!!

That was the local knowledge I was looking for. I don't fancy the A57 as its a little narrow and wouldn't be very relaxing. Taking a right on the A57 and then School Lane looks a better bet. I can then cut through that estate and down Ordnance Avenue (looks like a decent track next to the road). It brings me out near my new office (Opal Telecom) on Garrett Field.

50 miles return, so it won't be a daily thing! I'm going to use my MTB with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, don't fancy mending a puncture on those dark lanes.

Cheers CH

I thought this thread was about, Farcility of the Month, its wonderful in a wrong way :wacko:

Apologies for the "Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!" but some of the Warrington locals may know.

I'm looking to get from Cheadle Hulme to Birchwood for a new contract. If I cross at Warburton, is there a direct way to get to Birchwood ie heading NW? I can continue along the West along the A57 and then use the road parallel to the M6 but I'd rather not due to the speeds.

I seem to remember a thread about a road then led to a farm track or something but can't find it.

Any help appreciated.

Cross @ Irlam Locks maybe (Warburton is an option)... Then there is an "off road" route across the moss to Birchwood...

...I travel Irlam to Birchwood daily

Send private message if you wish.

Not being funny but Mr repair man is probably from Downtown LA - i.e. Latchford - (known locally as LA cos it's rubbish).. location - in pub....

The town is seriously knackered and anti cyclist - anyone been to the mess that is Birchwood - FFS long straight single carriageway roads, all 60 mph, then loads of round-a-bouts then more roads at 60...nuts.... no wonder I didn't commute the 30 miles to the place often.......

Get out of the town centre (i.e. pretty small really) and it's a nice place - loads of country lanes etc, but the centre (which you need to pass through to go North/South or East/West) is 'orrible for cyclists, never mind car drivers..oh don't forget peds that almost get killed on the big Bridgefoot round about thing.....

People wonder why I don't get out much on the bike - the answer is, by the time you've conquered Birchwood Way etc you're already knackered! No I have a way of avoiding Birchwood Way - I'd NEVER cycle along it, other than when everyone else is in bed. You can get along the old Warrington road which is tucked down beneath the expressway, a lot more pleasant.

The whole area is beleaguered by all the traffic rushing in the morning to get to the Risley (dare I call it that nowadays?) Business Park and then in reverse coming home. The lanes around Croft and Winwick are OK, but you do get a bit bored with all the towns so close together if you go further afield.

I think I remember someone mentioning the route from Hollins Green to Birchwood. That's lovely although the farm track is a bit dire. The farmer used to get the people from Risley tip to dump road scrapings and then bulldoze them in. They never lasted long as the tractors used to shift them. After all it is a farm track. I used to travel along there every day, winter or summer, snow, rain hail and even sun to work in Cadishead and loved the different seasons as they unfolded.

The roundabouts are a pain, the cycle lanes are a pain too, but if you can't move you have to put up with it unfortunately.

Great 1st post Hicky - Welcome to Cyclechat!!

That was the local knowledge I was looking for. I don't fancy the A57 as its a little narrow and wouldn't be very relaxing. Taking a right on the A57 and then School Lane looks a better bet. I can then cut through that estate and down Ordnance Avenue (looks like a decent track next to the road). It brings me out near my new office (Opal Telecom) on Garrett Field.

50 miles return, so it won't be a daily thing! I'm going to use my MTB with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, don't fancy mending a puncture on those dark lanes.

Cheers CH

Hi Cheadle Hulme. Just noticed this thread which came up when I was looking for info on Marathon Pluses, it also brought up my local area, so I've posted before too. I just wanted to ask you if you fitted the Marathon Pluses yourself or the bike shop did it. I watched a video of Spa Cycles fitting them - do you think my husband could do it? He used to do my tyres until I told him I needed to practice in case I punctured away from home.

Hicky

Guru
Hello Campfire, My inlaws are in Woolston and I'm up there fairly often hence my little knowlage of the area.

Depending on the route I'd avoid birchwood way at all costs, I'm fortunate if I have to go that way I nip across the grange and down the track alongside the railway.

I managed to fit gatorskins I think I'd only need the levers to get the first section off the rim.....I'm not sure how much harder M+'s are though.

Top Bottom