Front Baskets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baddy

Hi

I have a Carrera Subway 2. I want to install a front basket. However I cannot find a basket with a mounting bracket with a wide enough diameter. The handlebar at the stem area has a longer diameter than the rest of the bar.

Can anyone advise me as to overcome the prob?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can't Halfords suggest a suitable basket and fittings?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Buy basket. By basket straps. Strap basket to handlebar. Possibly attach a small stand-off bracket (sometimes called a decaleur, especially the bigger ones where the top of the basket also attaches to it) to the bottom of the stem to make sure the bottom of the basket doesn't rub the paint off the head tube. What's the problem? Why does a bracket need to go onto the handlebar?

The cheap bar bag and basket clamps are massive and weak. R&K mounts are smaller and stronger since the clamp does not support all the weight, there is a cable wrapped under the stem that limits rotation of the clamp and supports the weight.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The cheap bar bag and basket clamps are massive and weak. R&K mounts are smaller and stronger since the clamp does not support all the weight, there is a cable wrapped under the stem that limits rotation of the clamp and supports the weight.
Smaller and stronger than https://www.onyerbike.com/m13b112s238p5636/ADIE-10-inch-Basket-Straps ? And how strong does it need to be? Most baskets are rated at 5kg max until you get into stuff like Steco axle-mounted supports.

Leather straps work well with age appropriate rod brakes but modern mtb controls on the Subway 2 may interfere with a basket unless there is some spacing, or may not.
I fixed a basket to a hybrid with some straps, reinforced by zipties and a small metal rack-let mounted on the brake bolt.

Top Bottom