Front Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt Torque?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm changing the front caliper on my Trek 1.2 from the stock Tektro one to a 105 I have. Already changed the rear earlier this year and the improvement was great.
Does anyone know what torque should be used for the mounting bolt? Forks are stock Trek carbon. I've tried Google and Sheldon with joy..

4/5 Nw.....

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My method is to do it up until the bolt shears, then back it off a quarter of a turn. HTH.

More seriously, the torque will be governed to some extent by the size of the tool used, which in turn will depend on fastener size. So tight enough without going crazy.
But I have a huge tool...^_^
I was planning to be all accurate and use a torque wrench, but I guess a long allen key will do.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Of course being American the torque values are useless without a conversion chart in/lb indeed what happened to ft/lb or N/m like my Torque Wrench is marked in. :cursing:

near enough 30cm = 1 foot
and near enough 2.2 lbs = 1kg = 10 Newtons.

Or you could just nip it up like we used to in the olden days

djb1971

Legendary Member
Of course being American the torque values are useless without a conversion chart in/lb indeed what happened to ft/lb or N/m like my Torque Wrench is marked in. :cursing:

http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/inch-pounds-to-newton-meters-conversion.html ^_^

Tim Hall

A pedant writes: That's inlb, ftlb and Nm. You're multiplying the force by the distance, not dividing. But you knew that and I'm just being picky.

02GF74

Über Member
after a while you get a feel to tight to do up bolts; without a torque wrench, i'd suggest using thumb and one finger on the allen key. a drop of loctite to stop the bolt coming undone if you are worried

be careful with post mount as it easy to strip them and unless they can be helicoiled, new lowers are needed.

Top Bottom