front brake not springing back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've just re-cabled the commuter bike, and the shimano tiagra front brake seems now to be slow to release the brake once applied.

there is a small amount of play in one of the brake arms (the one on the left, as seen from the riding position), don't know if this is relevant.

is this fixable, or do i need to replace it? it's over 10 years old so has seen a lot of use…

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Sounds like it could just be a build up of dirt in-between the parts of the brake caliper, I just had the same issue on my rear brake. It is most probably sortable.
Give the brake a good wash, then inject lots of WD40 or Lubricant in between the gaps, keep opening and closing the brake with your hand until it hopefully starts to open on its own. If it plays ball, then put some oil or lubricant in between the gaps as WD40 is not a good lubricant.

PS, Some times brake calipers do cease up and sometimes they are beyond repair, I had some Tektro brakes that I gave up on eventually.

Brandane

Legendary Member
i've just re-cabled the commuter bike
Apologies if this is a Granny/eggs situation; but did you replace the cable OUTERS too? I've had problems in the past thinking I could get away with just replacing inners, when it turned out the lining of the outers was also corroded and causing problems.

robjh

Legendary Member
Are you saying it's worse now than before you replaced the cables? If so then that would point to some obstruction in the cable movement somewhere. Is there maybe some fraying or kinking where you've cut the new cables (inners/outers)?
If was already like it then I second what others have said - clean the calipers, check the cable outers. Even the brake lever itself can get gunked up - if it moves freely when disconnected from the brake then it's not that, but if it feels sticky then clean that out too with WD40 or degreaser and a toothbrush until it moves smoothly again.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Apologies if this is a Granny/eggs situation; but did you replace the cable OUTERS too? I've had problems in the past thinking I could get away with just replacing inners, when it turned out the lining of the outers was also corroded and causing problems.
yes, full service including all cables and brake blocks.

not harm in asking brandane…

Basil.B

Guru
Both my callipers seized last winter.
Did exactly the same as fossyant, worked a treat.

Lonestar

Veteran
When you re-cabled did you lubricate inside the cable run? My rear brake was the same but seems ok now.Was going to replace it.Much better brake now.

I squirted WD40 in the cable run and it worked a treat.

Top Bottom