Front Brake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

When i hold down my front brake, it makes a horrible squealing noise
Anyone know why this is, and how to fix this.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Depends on the type of brake.
If disc, I've no idea. Mine does in the wet and sounds like a tortured banshee.
If cantilever, V-brake or caliper, you could try setting the brake pads so that they are 'toe in'. This basically means that the front of the pad hits the rim slightly before the back of the pad. About 1/2 mm should be enough. There will be instructional videos on YouTube if you're not sure how to go about doing this.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Depends on the type of brake.
If disc, I've no idea. Mine does in the wet and sounds like a tortured banshee.
If cantilever, V-brake or caliper, you could try setting the brake pads so that they are 'toe in'. This basically means that the front of the pad hits the rim slightly before the back of the pad. About 1/2 mm should be enough. There will be instructional videos on YouTube if you're not sure how to go about doing this.
Well, i do actually have disk brakes

Gunk

Guru
Start by cleaning everything with brake cleaner then clean the disks with fine wire wool and rub the face of the brake pads with very fine wet and dry.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
When i hold down my front brake, it makes a horrible squealing noise
Anyone know why this is, and how to fix this.
Amongst the people I ride with the general view is discs squeal for two reasons:

New pads taking a while to settle in, especially in the wet.

Cheap pads

Most people I know find it settles down after a few miles.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Amongst the people I ride with the general view is discs squeal for two reasons:

New pads taking a while to settle in, especially in the wet.

Cheap pads

Most people I know find it settles down after a few miles.
Its mainly when im in a Low Gear

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Its mainly when im in a Low Gear
I'm afraid I can't think of any reason why the gear you're using would influence the noise from your discs.

I guess one possibility is if you are applying a very gentle pressure at low speed the pads will only be making minimal contact. I don't know but the thought literally entered my mind as I typed!!

Try riding on a flat clear road with good visibility. Get up a good, fast speed and hit the brakes a few times. It might help bed them in. I'm guessing though.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Mine squeal on heavier application, usually when it’s wet and cold. But then so do all of the brakes of the people I ride with, under the same conditions.

If they are squealing in the dry then it is as above - maybe they need a good bedding in or maybe they have been contaminated by something, perhaps some chain oil or other sprayed material like a polish? You can try cleaning the disc with brake cleaner or IPA but if the pads are contaminated it is unlikely you’ll clean them.

I just put up with it for the few times it happens. If it bothers you you’ll need to do something. I’d suggest starting with the easiest, cheapest things first (caliper alignment, scrubbing etc which are free to do), followed by cleaning. If the front and rear brakes are the same you could try swapping the pads around and seeing if the noise changes, moves or goes away.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've ridden four bikes with disc brakes and didn't like any of them much. Rubbing can be a problem due to the small clearance, and some brakes (Avid Elixir) with no expansion vessel start to drag within months of a fluid change as the fluid absorbs water and increases in volume. The best option is probably Shimano hydraulics, since these work very well and don't suffer from the expanding fluid problem. Some people get on well with mechanical disc brakes, which avoid the fluid problem but don't feel as good as hydraulics (and also suffer from some of the maintenance issues of rim brakes, viz. cable stretch, dirt clogging of moving parts, and wear).

Top Bottom